July 25th, 2013
12 months ago

Weiner chat partner Sydney Leathers felt 'manipulated'

Updated at 5:32 p.m. ET on 7/25

(CNN) – The woman who exchanged the sexually explicit messages that have thrown Anthony Weiner's New York City mayoral campaign into damage control mode said Thursday the former congressman deceived her when he contacted her online.

"I felt manipulated," Sydney Leathers told the television program "Inside Edition." "Obviously I felt like he's saying one thing to me, another thing to his wife, saying another thing on the campaign trail. I don't know who the real Anthony Weiner is I guess."

Later, Leathers claimed Weiner became "controlling" toward the end of their online relationship.

"He would tell me that he would be jealous," Leathers said. "He would look at my Facebook frequently. He would tell me that he would get jealous if other men would compliment me. Just little stuff like that."

Weiner's campaign declined to comment on the interview with Leathers.

READ MORE: Weiner's poll numbers tumble

The messages between Weiner and Leathers – some of which included lewd photographs of Weiner - came to light Tuesday on the gossip website TheDirty. The site claimed Weiner vowed to purchase a condominium for Leathers in Chicago, as well as secure her a place on a panel for political bloggers.

A friend of Leathers told CNN on Wednesday the 23-year-old Indiana native was a strong supporter of the New York politician even after he resigned from Congress amid similar circumstances two years ago.

READ MORE: Pelosi blasts Weiner: Do your therapy in private

Leathers actively posts about politics and her Democratic views on Facebook, and had previously included Weiner in a list of political heroes.

She said in the "Inside Edition" interview she was blown away that the former congressman would revert to the behavior that led to his resignation from Congress in 2011.

"I was shocked because I didn't think he would be so foolish as to do the same thing all over again," she said. "He was making these campaign promises that he had totally changed, and he was a better man now, and he learned from his mistakes, and I have proof that that was not true."

Leathers "cared" about Weiner, she said, and knew that he wanted her to erase any evidence of their "very sexual" conversations.

But now, as their conversations have come to light, Leathers no longer sees Weiner in quite the same way.

Asked by "Inside Edition" correspondent Jim Moret whether Weiner was trying to "pull one over" on voters, Leathers replied, "Absolutely."

"Otherwise he wouldn't have went on the whole 'I'm a changed man, I've learned my lesson, I wouldn't have said those things' if he wasn't trying to be someone he wasn't," she said.

Her verdict of Weiner now? She recalled a description the politician used about himself in one of their conversations.

"The exact wording was that he was an argumentative, perpetually horny middle aged man," she said. "And at the time, I was like, 'Oh no, you're not.' But yes, he is."

Sources: Huma Abedin considered leaving Weiner last fall

Weiner resists calls to withdraw as woman who received messages is identified

Why Anthony Weiner's problem is ours, too

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. Carlos "Partyinmypants" Danger

Lol manipulated must translate to "look at me! look at me! I deserve attention! Can I get a book deal now?"

July 26, 2013 04:48 am at 4:48 am |
  2. Anonymous

I think the comments are placing excessive blame on this woman. No, she is no paragon of virtue, but it should not be forgotten that she ran into a professional charmer, in a position of power who was promising to let her into this wonderful world of statecraft that so fascinates her. I am sure that temptation was great and he was the mentor who led her into it. She was seduced on several levels. So, yeah, we can laugh at her credulous greediness, but should not forget who was controlling the game and how adept he is at it.

July 26, 2013 04:52 am at 4:52 am |
  3. Name

Carlos Danger and Sydney Leathers......I feel like I'm in a 007 movie.

July 26, 2013 04:58 am at 4:58 am |
  4. Anonymous

Another one of those tricks to make money. Don't understand why such realstionships get unveiled only around election time.

July 26, 2013 05:01 am at 5:01 am |
  5. khaled

And she says she felt "manipulated". Why man has to be blamed all the time? They are both guilty. She is even more guilty than he is because she knows he is married and she allowed for the illicit relationship to start and continue. Losers!!!

July 26, 2013 05:27 am at 5:27 am |
  6. komododr

She says, he was manipulative toward the end. She was saying, I love it when he dominates me, grrrrrrrh. You have my number call me may be.

July 26, 2013 05:42 am at 5:42 am |
  7. MaryAngeline

She is more pathetic than Weiner, and that's something I didn't think possible. Also f.y.i. to Sydney, that lipstick just adds to the freak show aspect of this seemingly never ending saga.

July 26, 2013 06:28 am at 6:28 am |
  8. Clarke

Some people have no personal pride or integrity, this includes both she and wiener. He needs some real help and she is in it for the cash and should use to getthe help she needs. IMHO!

July 26, 2013 06:44 am at 6:44 am |
  9. kwags70

He's a tool, sure. But THIS woman is a piece of work. She knew he was married. She knew his proclivities. She knew he has been busted for this behavior before and believed that he had changed ... and yet engaged in the exact lascivious behaviors WITH him. She was "manipulated"? The only people being manipulated here are those of us who are being force fed her line of "woe is me" b.s. Everyone in this particular narrative is disgraceful. Ms. Leathers is on the top of that particular totem pole.

July 26, 2013 06:51 am at 6:51 am |
  10. woodie

She egged him on then tells everyone she was manipulated. She can't be trusted so how can she be trusted?

July 26, 2013 06:53 am at 6:53 am |
  11. Pat

Of course you were manipulated, you idiot. You've had your 15 minutes of fame – go back under your rock.

July 26, 2013 07:24 am at 7:24 am |
  12. Larry

Not that i care anything for the man. He's a democrat and they are by their nature the lowest form of life on earth. But i wonder if cnn would be covering this so rabidly if he were not white?

July 26, 2013 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  13. Captain America

What a loser! Agree – she is a parasite who is looking for her 15 minutes of fame. She is just as RESPONSIBLE. Women like her give women a bad name.

July 26, 2013 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  14. Elohim

This woman is an idiot. What did you expect to happen? Did you actually think you were special? Get rid of that stupid purple lipstick.

July 26, 2013 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  15. Captain America

Let's hope that Bill O'Reilly runs with this interview and highlights the how MANIPULATIVE SHE IS!!

July 26, 2013 07:38 am at 7:38 am |
  16. JDB

This woman is only in it for her 15 mins of fame. She's grinning through the whole interview like this is all a big joke to her. Sweetheart just step aside because you have zero class. You seriously need to grow up. Weiner is a moron too and his wife should leave him because he will have no future now due to his issues. What a disgrace!

July 26, 2013 07:40 am at 7:40 am |
  17. Gabbo

How very LIBERAL of both of them. Makes me proud to call myself a Republican.

July 26, 2013 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  18. DaMenace1

This Leathers gal is getting exactly what she wanted.
    Publicity, notoriety, money, fame, etc.

July 26, 2013 07:51 am at 7:51 am |
  19. taylordacty1

People really need to pestering Weiner about this past conduct. This has nothing to do with political performance or aspirations.

July 26, 2013 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  20. Anon

Heh, I have no doubts she (just like almost every other girl nowadays) has plenty of nude pics of herself that she more than likely sent to him as well. She loved it. And now she's loving all the attention she's getting.

July 26, 2013 07:59 am at 7:59 am |
  21. Sero

I hope no one is buying any of this crap. Trying to make her self look innocent.. manipulated!!?? haha

July 26, 2013 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  22. james

Let he or she is without sin cast the first stone...........

July 26, 2013 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  23. Dee G.

Oh, wah, wah, she felt manipulated – BS! Please, no one feels sorry for you – you're looking for money! Oh, and sweetie, you might want to lay off the purple lipstick – it's really not a good look for you.

July 26, 2013 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  24. D Fisher

Weiner's a sleazy idiot and no way he should be mayor. I hate to agree with Donald Trump about anything but Weiner has a perversion and needs help. That being said, Leathers looks like a total phony and is clearly enjoying her 15 minutes of fame and probably thinks this will make her rich.

July 26, 2013 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  25. Don't care

I'm sorry but this girl is full of crap. Manipulated?

Nobody told you to take your cloths off and be in contact with a married guy. She knew exactly what she was doing. This is such BS I may need a gas mask.

July 26, 2013 08:09 am at 8:09 am |