July 25th, 2013
1 year ago

Weiner chat partner Sydney Leathers felt 'manipulated'

Updated at 5:32 p.m. ET on 7/25

(CNN) – The woman who exchanged the sexually explicit messages that have thrown Anthony Weiner's New York City mayoral campaign into damage control mode said Thursday the former congressman deceived her when he contacted her online.

"I felt manipulated," Sydney Leathers told the television program "Inside Edition." "Obviously I felt like he's saying one thing to me, another thing to his wife, saying another thing on the campaign trail. I don't know who the real Anthony Weiner is I guess."

Later, Leathers claimed Weiner became "controlling" toward the end of their online relationship.

"He would tell me that he would be jealous," Leathers said. "He would look at my Facebook frequently. He would tell me that he would get jealous if other men would compliment me. Just little stuff like that."

Weiner's campaign declined to comment on the interview with Leathers.

READ MORE: Weiner's poll numbers tumble

The messages between Weiner and Leathers – some of which included lewd photographs of Weiner - came to light Tuesday on the gossip website TheDirty. The site claimed Weiner vowed to purchase a condominium for Leathers in Chicago, as well as secure her a place on a panel for political bloggers.

A friend of Leathers told CNN on Wednesday the 23-year-old Indiana native was a strong supporter of the New York politician even after he resigned from Congress amid similar circumstances two years ago.

READ MORE: Pelosi blasts Weiner: Do your therapy in private

Leathers actively posts about politics and her Democratic views on Facebook, and had previously included Weiner in a list of political heroes.

She said in the "Inside Edition" interview she was blown away that the former congressman would revert to the behavior that led to his resignation from Congress in 2011.

"I was shocked because I didn't think he would be so foolish as to do the same thing all over again," she said. "He was making these campaign promises that he had totally changed, and he was a better man now, and he learned from his mistakes, and I have proof that that was not true."

Leathers "cared" about Weiner, she said, and knew that he wanted her to erase any evidence of their "very sexual" conversations.

But now, as their conversations have come to light, Leathers no longer sees Weiner in quite the same way.

Asked by "Inside Edition" correspondent Jim Moret whether Weiner was trying to "pull one over" on voters, Leathers replied, "Absolutely."

"Otherwise he wouldn't have went on the whole 'I'm a changed man, I've learned my lesson, I wouldn't have said those things' if he wasn't trying to be someone he wasn't," she said.

Her verdict of Weiner now? She recalled a description the politician used about himself in one of their conversations.

"The exact wording was that he was an argumentative, perpetually horny middle aged man," she said. "And at the time, I was like, 'Oh no, you're not.' But yes, he is."

Sources: Huma Abedin considered leaving Weiner last fall

Weiner resists calls to withdraw as woman who received messages is identified

Why Anthony Weiner's problem is ours, too

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. Siestasis

Oh come on missy you are an adult you knew what Weiner was you put yourself in the situation don't come looking for sympathy. You got your 15 mins of fame now go back to your boring life.

July 26, 2013 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  2. DrDrMe

Please explain to me CNN how this is news? Why is this moron getting airtime. She felt manipulated?.. lets see.. I know.. Weiner forced her to log into the internet and enter into a chat. Please.. she's had her 8 seconds of fame.. can we move on now?

July 26, 2013 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

tom l.
    That is why it's foolhardy to be as partisan as Sniffit, Rudy, Dutch and rs. None of the politicians care about us anymore (not sure if they ever did). All they care about today is money and power which means their job is to pit you against me.
    -------------------------------------------------
    I have voted, as you well know, for dems and repubs in the past, however I find myself concurring quite , quite often with the folks you just mentioned and here's why: they make sense.
    The Repubs of today have lost their minds. Plain and simply put.
    I'm not going to get into the details of that statement; the same folks that you mentioned above have elaborated and substantiated what I just said for YEARS.
    I take exception to you continually calling these people out by name. What is that about? It appears to me that it is YOU who are intent on pitting folks against each other tom l.
    You continue to be a walking contradiction...I'm assuming you can walk.

July 26, 2013 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  4. jimmyjam

Two people who deserve each other..two self serving expletives. Instead of being embarrased and hiding her head, she blows the whistle. Thanks, sweetheart. You're a real angel. Thanks for letting the American public know who we are dealing with. Find rock. Crawl under. Expire (and take Weiner with you).

July 26, 2013 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  5. leonard edelen

The woman is full of BS! She knew what she was doing, and know who he was. If she was a lady of class, she would have never gotten involved with a married man!

July 26, 2013 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  6. fireiitup

Is this not the biggest joke? Ms "Leathers" actually thought that she (on a cheezy website) was going to find true love? Surely the woman couldn't pass the 5th grade. Was she looking for a daddy figure or a sugar daddy? Now all of a sudden Weiner is her ticket to paradise!

July 26, 2013 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  7. Burt

why is it woman always want to be the victim when they are caught in disgusting behavior. (Only disgusting because they got caught that is)

July 26, 2013 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  8. Phillip Mauney

She wanted her few minutes on the telly. End of story.

July 26, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  9. mabel floyd

chasing a married man in hopes of having an exciting on line "affair" and brag about it on tv renders this women a farce when commenting on ethics. she should be hiding her head in shame and the media should feel shame for allowing a women of her low morals to have a forum to comment on ethics and morality.

July 26, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  10. Figures

It figures. Yet another woman who knew exactly what she was doing....as she did it multiple times under her own free will. NOT drunk....NOT drugged....NOT forced. Yet it was not the poor dear's fault as the mean man manipulated her into having naughty talk.

July 26, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  11. John

Manipulated by a politician?!

Shocking.

July 26, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  12. zom khan

Saw her clip. She is enjoying this whole publicity! What an opportunist, she is getting what she wanted! The next thing is she'll be posing for playboy. She is no less guilty than Weiner is!

July 26, 2013 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  13. bill

I feel manipulated that this fool is trying to say she was manipulated. I can't stand this reality TV generation who will say and do anything for infamy and exposure.

July 26, 2013 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  14. Schotchmallow55

What part of "he is married" does she not understand?

July 26, 2013 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  15. madelefant

What a Joke. She's sexting with a middle aged man and she felt manipulated.

July 26, 2013 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  16. Susie Q. Smith

That fuschia lipstick was all I could see during the interview. EWWWW! Really looks bad. She claims she felt manipulated? If she did not really know who he was initially, I guess I could buy that, but that was clearly NOT the case. A total fool, for sure. Own up to it sister and move on.

July 26, 2013 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  17. coyoteliberty

Self manipulated, in any event... in more ways than one.

July 26, 2013 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  18. Andy

Where's Gloria Allred? This vulnerable woman must be protected and must be fairly compensated.

July 26, 2013 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  19. monnie

she is not sorry for what she has done, because if she was she wouldn't be on tv making things worst for the wife. and who ever is paying her for this crab is crazy..stop making people rich that do shit wrong in this world..she is smiling the whole time while telling her story . she is a hoe and she needs to keep it real..it is what it is...if she really cared about his wife she would zip that lip ....

July 26, 2013 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  20. scott hanson

She has her fifteen minutes of fame. Not judging this misguided young lady. Clearly, Mr. Weiner needs to get a dog. Build a dog house. He will be spending a lot of time in the dog house. It has been my experience wives don't forget when husbands do things they shouldn't. I'm sure Mr. Weiner is very proud of his tool. Use it to build a dog house.

July 26, 2013 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  21. Mangomano

What is the world coming to when you can't trust an anonymous online stranger named Carlos Danger, with whom you exchange creepy sext messages?

July 26, 2013 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  22. Larry the Lobster

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I just don't understand the younger generation.

July 26, 2013 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  23. lakesfan1

He's a slimeball. She's no better. End of story. He created his own political wreck. So did she. They deserve each other. The only one I feel remotely sorry for is Weiner's wife and that sympathy may vanish, too. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

July 26, 2013 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  24. robert

Female hypoagency...

July 26, 2013 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  25. joeinthebronx

Is it just me or does she kinda look like Flo in the Progressive commercials? This is lame news

July 26, 2013 11:15 am at 11:15 am |