July 25th, 2013
1 year ago

Weiner chat partner Sydney Leathers felt 'manipulated'

Updated at 5:32 p.m. ET on 7/25

(CNN) – The woman who exchanged the sexually explicit messages that have thrown Anthony Weiner's New York City mayoral campaign into damage control mode said Thursday the former congressman deceived her when he contacted her online.

"I felt manipulated," Sydney Leathers told the television program "Inside Edition." "Obviously I felt like he's saying one thing to me, another thing to his wife, saying another thing on the campaign trail. I don't know who the real Anthony Weiner is I guess."

Later, Leathers claimed Weiner became "controlling" toward the end of their online relationship.

"He would tell me that he would be jealous," Leathers said. "He would look at my Facebook frequently. He would tell me that he would get jealous if other men would compliment me. Just little stuff like that."

Weiner's campaign declined to comment on the interview with Leathers.

READ MORE: Weiner's poll numbers tumble

The messages between Weiner and Leathers – some of which included lewd photographs of Weiner - came to light Tuesday on the gossip website TheDirty. The site claimed Weiner vowed to purchase a condominium for Leathers in Chicago, as well as secure her a place on a panel for political bloggers.

A friend of Leathers told CNN on Wednesday the 23-year-old Indiana native was a strong supporter of the New York politician even after he resigned from Congress amid similar circumstances two years ago.

READ MORE: Pelosi blasts Weiner: Do your therapy in private

Leathers actively posts about politics and her Democratic views on Facebook, and had previously included Weiner in a list of political heroes.

She said in the "Inside Edition" interview she was blown away that the former congressman would revert to the behavior that led to his resignation from Congress in 2011.

"I was shocked because I didn't think he would be so foolish as to do the same thing all over again," she said. "He was making these campaign promises that he had totally changed, and he was a better man now, and he learned from his mistakes, and I have proof that that was not true."

Leathers "cared" about Weiner, she said, and knew that he wanted her to erase any evidence of their "very sexual" conversations.

But now, as their conversations have come to light, Leathers no longer sees Weiner in quite the same way.

Asked by "Inside Edition" correspondent Jim Moret whether Weiner was trying to "pull one over" on voters, Leathers replied, "Absolutely."

"Otherwise he wouldn't have went on the whole 'I'm a changed man, I've learned my lesson, I wouldn't have said those things' if he wasn't trying to be someone he wasn't," she said.

Her verdict of Weiner now? She recalled a description the politician used about himself in one of their conversations.

"The exact wording was that he was an argumentative, perpetually horny middle aged man," she said. "And at the time, I was like, 'Oh no, you're not.' But yes, he is."

Sources: Huma Abedin considered leaving Weiner last fall

Weiner resists calls to withdraw as woman who received messages is identified

Why Anthony Weiner's problem is ours, too

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. 865155

Where are we as a nation ? To continue accepting this behavior from representatives making an enormous salary, and benefits. In the public sector most states employ at will, apparently here any behavior is acceptable as long as you promise to get help and ask for forgiveness. REALLY !!! So aside from having reality tv play out in Washington, are we that dis functional to not demand more or demand very penny of his salary reimbursed. The middle class is becoming extinct, housing is being scooped up by investors, china, Columbia, all at a discount from the families it was taken away from. Jobs are still elusive, cities are still going broke, and I get this episode as proof of what these guys earn a living doing NOTHING !!!

July 25, 2013 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  2. sammy750

The HOs that act so innocent, disgusting. She knew what she was doing with Weiner. Now she says she was manipulated, what next Leathers. Go get G. Allred and she will get you a few millions $ as I suspect your looking for.

July 25, 2013 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  3. Steve

Trying to paint this girl as a naive victim is way wrong. She knew EXACTLY what she was doing. Weiner isn't fit to sweep the streets of NY, let alone govern, but this girl is no innocent.

July 25, 2013 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  4. Jean Sartre

I am so, so sick of the media hyping this story, over and over again... short news day?

As for the "girls" responding to all of this guys "junk"... what is wrong with YOU?

Have you ever heard the term, "ENABLER?"

July 25, 2013 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  5. dibl

I'm feeling a little manipulated myself ....

July 25, 2013 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  6. patrick harris

Its all nonsense. cant anyone else run? really?

July 25, 2013 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  7. B

WIth that smile on her face? Oh yeah she's a victim.....

July 25, 2013 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  8. TheNewJerusalem

Leathers has moved on to a Real American Hero hailing from Sanford who saved the kingdom from the wrath of the great dragon.

July 25, 2013 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  9. Otis

What a dullard! Please tell me that this generation of village idiots will not be America's future.

July 25, 2013 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  10. rob

Did CNN cross post this from the Onion ?

July 25, 2013 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  11. Salih Alexander

She looks like Flo from the Progressive commercials.

July 25, 2013 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  12. Southernsuga

she felt humiliated?

July 25, 2013 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  13. johnny57

This chick is pretty dubious. I am not sure I believe anything she says. She is just trying to get into the slimelight.

July 25, 2013 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  14. Otis

This is an example of the typical O'Bama voter.

July 25, 2013 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  15. Gerry

Mr. Winer has a serious self destruct button. One see's that he is VERY arrogant and self centered but shouldn't there be something in his head that tells him he is headed for a lot of trouble in his election? I'd say the people of NY will drop him like a hot coal.. As for the stupid broad, enough said.

July 25, 2013 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  16. Merlin

Zip 'em both up in a mail bag and ship them to North Korea. That would be news worth reporting. This tripe is ridiculous...

July 25, 2013 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  17. Greg

I just want to play Anne Murray's "A Little Good News" everytime I check the Internet. Enough of this salicious gossip – real journalism please.

July 25, 2013 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  18. woopwoop

uh post more on the NSA spying not on this garbage CNN, you are disgraceful.

July 25, 2013 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  19. rob0rah

Just another one night stand! Ive had so many like her in my life (yawn)

July 25, 2013 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  20. TX

And this concerns me why?

July 25, 2013 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  21. Fr33th1nk3r

I just looked her up on Google images– I was having a hard time finding a picture of her that wasn't in a bra or bikini taking a picture of herself in the mirror. Now look at Wiener– he looks like a cross between Gollum and the Grinch that stole Christmas, not to mention being about 20 years older than her.
    Yeah, I am SURE, she's not in it for the money...just like she didn't know he was married and guilty of similar fumblings as a Congressman. I guess she didn't get that condo he promised her....

July 25, 2013 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  22. TheDood23

What guy in his right mind would ever date this girl after this?

Although Weiner was wrong to keep flirting and texting online, who wants to date a vengeful pyscho that will tell all your private information to everyone including the media.

July 25, 2013 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  23. Karen

If Marion Barry can be a mayor, anyone can.

July 25, 2013 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  24. Tigrr

Too many politicans, reporters, etc are set up for a scandal to destroy their credibility or careers. A GOP tactic. See veterans today or Search for reports. Shrubs' NSA boys use spying to intimidate and blackmail government and military officals.

July 25, 2013 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  25. Tigrr

Good luck to anyone who even thinks about dating this gal.

July 25, 2013 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |