July 25th, 2013
9 months ago

Weiner chat partner Sydney Leathers felt 'manipulated'

Updated at 5:32 p.m. ET on 7/25

(CNN) – The woman who exchanged the sexually explicit messages that have thrown Anthony Weiner's New York City mayoral campaign into damage control mode said Thursday the former congressman deceived her when he contacted her online.

"I felt manipulated," Sydney Leathers told the television program "Inside Edition." "Obviously I felt like he's saying one thing to me, another thing to his wife, saying another thing on the campaign trail. I don't know who the real Anthony Weiner is I guess."

Later, Leathers claimed Weiner became "controlling" toward the end of their online relationship.

"He would tell me that he would be jealous," Leathers said. "He would look at my Facebook frequently. He would tell me that he would get jealous if other men would compliment me. Just little stuff like that."

Weiner's campaign declined to comment on the interview with Leathers.

READ MORE: Weiner's poll numbers tumble

The messages between Weiner and Leathers – some of which included lewd photographs of Weiner - came to light Tuesday on the gossip website TheDirty. The site claimed Weiner vowed to purchase a condominium for Leathers in Chicago, as well as secure her a place on a panel for political bloggers.

A friend of Leathers told CNN on Wednesday the 23-year-old Indiana native was a strong supporter of the New York politician even after he resigned from Congress amid similar circumstances two years ago.

READ MORE: Pelosi blasts Weiner: Do your therapy in private

Leathers actively posts about politics and her Democratic views on Facebook, and had previously included Weiner in a list of political heroes.

She said in the "Inside Edition" interview she was blown away that the former congressman would revert to the behavior that led to his resignation from Congress in 2011.

"I was shocked because I didn't think he would be so foolish as to do the same thing all over again," she said. "He was making these campaign promises that he had totally changed, and he was a better man now, and he learned from his mistakes, and I have proof that that was not true."

Leathers "cared" about Weiner, she said, and knew that he wanted her to erase any evidence of their "very sexual" conversations.

But now, as their conversations have come to light, Leathers no longer sees Weiner in quite the same way.

Asked by "Inside Edition" correspondent Jim Moret whether Weiner was trying to "pull one over" on voters, Leathers replied, "Absolutely."

"Otherwise he wouldn't have went on the whole 'I'm a changed man, I've learned my lesson, I wouldn't have said those things' if he wasn't trying to be someone he wasn't," she said.

Her verdict of Weiner now? She recalled a description the politician used about himself in one of their conversations.

"The exact wording was that he was an argumentative, perpetually horny middle aged man," she said. "And at the time, I was like, 'Oh no, you're not.' But yes, he is."

Sources: Huma Abedin considered leaving Weiner last fall

Weiner resists calls to withdraw as woman who received messages is identified

Why Anthony Weiner's problem is ours, too

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. Pam

She is so self serving.....I don't think she's even bright enough to realize how much of a fool she looks like to the public. I bet her parents are real proud of her!

July 25, 2013 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  2. Jenae

Where in our government does it say we have to live a biblical life?

July 25, 2013 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  3. Sophie Meyer

So now instead of being manipulated by a pervert, she's being manipulated by the media. Good lord woman, have you no shame. Go back into your internet obscurity and quit embarrassing yourself.

July 25, 2013 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  4. Hadenuffyet

Stick a freakin' fork in him , he's done.

July 25, 2013 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  5. rodger olsen

Only in America could a woman post half naked pictures of herself on the web, date a married man, accept a promise of a condo from him and then claim she "felt used."

July 25, 2013 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  6. Goony

Part of the democrat brand now. And he's staying in the race! Hooray!

July 25, 2013 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  7. Brandon

I wouldn't trust this girl farther than I could throw her, you can tell she's as slimy as a snake.

July 25, 2013 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  8. LoseTheZero

I don't get it. His wife is so much more attractive and eloquent than this "lady"...man, what a loser.

July 25, 2013 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  9. Jack

This is why you should never get married. Women can twist any situation to paint themselves as victims. Don't get me wrong, I love being in relationships. Just dump them as soon as they start up the "where is this relationship going?" conversation.

July 25, 2013 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  10. Patrick

This is a girl who is desperate for attention. Pay her no mind at all.

July 25, 2013 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  11. M. Carroll

Paging Dr. Drew, paging Dr. Drew...

July 25, 2013 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  12. Texas

Weiner is genetically predisposed to this behavior. He will never be cured and can never survive in a political career. The words "get a clue" come to mind.

July 25, 2013 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  13. Anonymous

She just wants fame.

July 25, 2013 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  14. HorseMan

And trashy news like these keep the attention of the people of the once "biggest power in the world". No wonder we are no more.

July 25, 2013 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  15. WoW

I think she needs a bit more makeup.....i can see skin shine through

July 25, 2013 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  16. FLC180

This girl does not realize that by going out of her way to destroy someone else's reputation, she ends up also destroying her own.

July 25, 2013 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  17. miami

This girl need to go some where in pakistan please.... shut up go away...please cnn no body want to hear about this girl no more..she like the man from the get go..so what she have to said new she no he was marrie...please girl go away.....

July 25, 2013 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  18. J Y

Oh please. She's an adult having chats with a married man. She doesn't deserve anything she's not getting.

July 25, 2013 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  19. Sammy

Takes two to tango. Both are equally guilty and both were equqlly enjoying the rush and the taboo/. What is she complaining about? That she was manipulated. That's a crock.

July 25, 2013 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  20. Animus

She knew he was married and willingly engaged in a relationship with him. That is not manipulation. She knew everything. She is scorned and vindictive.

July 25, 2013 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  21. Irish

Why would you trust a politician that can so easily lie to his wife, even after he has been caught? This same guy would lie to the public without thinking twice. Pretty simple equation- don't vote for this guy!

July 25, 2013 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  22. D

"But now, as their conversations have come to light," ... hmmm, I wonder exactly how all this "came to light"? Maybe The Dirty randomly hacked her computer and found it all??

July 25, 2013 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  23. parvo00

Dear Ms. Leathers,

Your story makes no sense. Your claims of being a victim make no sense in the context of the rest of your claims.

You're completely transparent. Enjoy your 15 minutes.

July 25, 2013 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  24. Joe Brunner

The only thing missing from this story is Gloria Allred has agreed to represent her...

Tell me what country I have to move to meet a real woman? Nigeria? Pakistan?

All the women in this country disgust me...

July 25, 2013 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  25. pbernasc

he sure is stupid to fall for a 5 minutes of fame seeker like this one , but stupider i his wife to be frigid, while he is the real master of stupidity in not being a real man

July 25, 2013 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |