July 25th, 2013
1 year ago

Weiner estimates he sexted three women after resigning

(CNN) - Anthony Weiner, the embattled New York City mayoral candidate who admitted this week to sending raunchy chats to a young woman last summer, estimated Thursday he had online relationships with three different women after his 2011 resignation from Congress.

But speaking at a news conference, the Democrat said he couldn't say for sure how many more women might come forward.

"There are a few. I don't have a specific number for you," Weiner said. "There are people I've had exchanges with that are completely appropriate, and that there are no pictures or illicit texts or anything. Now if those people want to say they don't like the exchanges we had either, I don't know where to put them."

READ MORE: Weiner's poll numbers tumble

Weiner stepped down from his House seat in 2011 after admitting to sending lewd photos and messages to multiple women online. He pointed out Thursday that when he left the House of Representatives, he admitted to exchanging messages with six women.

He then provided a rough total of how many women he's engaged with sexually online.

"It's not dozens and dozens," he said. "It's six to ten, I suppose, but I can't tell you absolutely what people are going to consider inappropriate or not."

READ MORE: Pelosi blasts Weiner: Do your therapy in private

Pressed to provide a guess as to how many of those relationships occurred after his resignation, Weiner said, "I don't believe I had any more than three."

Weiner has resisted calls from his rivals to withdraw from the race for New York City mayor, saying the decision of whether he's trustworthy enough for the job should be up to voters.

Sources: Huma Abedin considered leaving Weiner last fall

Weiner resists calls to withdraw as woman who received messages is identified

Why Anthony Weiner's problem is ours, too

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. beevee

This guy needs serious therapy to get over the uncontrolable urges of indulging in this type of lewd behavior to save his marriage and his political career. otherwise he will lose everything. It is really sad.

July 25, 2013 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  2. OJ

This guy career in politics is over. He made a deal with his wife. He will try to win the Mayor office or get a divorce. Both his marriage and office is done.

July 25, 2013 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  3. abmri60

He is throwing away a good life.
    There will be consequences ...

July 25, 2013 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  4. RandyMarshCT

Why is this even an issue? Huma Abedin is way out of his league and the guy is a crook and a liar. Case closed.

July 25, 2013 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. jacxsun

I'm very glad his last name is not rectum. Imaging the pictures.

July 25, 2013 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  6. JennO

I don't understand how he feels he can represent a modern city – arguably one of the most powerful in the world – if he disrespects and objectifies half of the population. He has so little insight to his own horrific behavior that I don't see how he can be trusted to lead anything other than a chatroom conversation. Good riddance to another incompetent politician.

July 25, 2013 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  7. Steve

Unfortunate picture with this story, all I can think is where has that hand has been.

July 25, 2013 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  8. MightyMoo

I feel sorry for his wife and especially his kid.

July 25, 2013 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  9. Double Trouble

Narcissist....and loves the attention he's getting..

July 25, 2013 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  10. leah

Is that the number of women who he estimates are flaky enough not only to join in with his ridiculous obsession, but also might talk to the media about it? Or the real number?

That face above is the face of a liar, my friends.

July 25, 2013 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  11. Michie

CNN, your definition of "breaking news" is getting absolutely ridiculous.

July 25, 2013 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  12. Az

Poor Anthony, desperate for a job that he can do and the door keeps closing!

July 25, 2013 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  13. credit or debit?

Dumb wife..should have left the jerk !!

July 25, 2013 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  14. Harry Cline

"Leather & Carlos"

Coming to a lower east side theater soon .. (you can't make this stuff up)

July 25, 2013 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  15. Double Trouble

Anthony should change his name....

To Oscar...

July 25, 2013 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  16. gymviking

I really think somebody should introduce him to Amanda Bynes. They might really hit it off. (he'd certainly text her, from time to time)

July 25, 2013 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  17. zavandy

Even Narcissus thinks this guy has issues..

July 25, 2013 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  18. Marky-Mark

I refuse to watch the video above ... but who are to two clowns on the left (sic) who obviously think the whole thing is so funny? What ever happened to the proud New York City? I guess they don't have that much left (sic again) to be proud of! Rudy ... we need you back, Sir ...

July 25, 2013 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  19. mikeinmiami

"Oscar Mayor Weiner?"

July 25, 2013 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  20. Brad

Why would a politician or someone wanting to be in politics even think that this was a good idea.
    Wow!

July 25, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  21. r00t4rd3d

This is not news and very sad that CNN has it as the main story. Is the Editor on the can or something?

July 25, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  22. Tyler Durden

Thanks to Weiner for reinforcing the negative Jewish stereotype of the power-hunger degenerate

July 25, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  23. Nick

He's just betting no more than 3 of them come forward. "Estimates"??? lol give me a break. He knows exactly how many.

July 25, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  24. Mary

Does anybody else notice the strong resemblance this guy has to Prissy the Hen from the Warner Brothers Cartoons?Look up a drawing of this character. You will LOL.

July 25, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  25. rosethornne

Three, no six, no, well, what would you consider inappropriate actually? Well a dozen. Maybe fifteen. Ok, a hundred tops.
    And it definitely was only before I resigned. Well, a couple after I resigned. Maybe a dozen in the spring. Ok, a hundred last tuesday, tops.
    No, I won't get out of the race, my wife believes me and supports me.
    For now.