July 25th, 2013
1 year ago

Weiner estimates he sexted three women after resigning

(CNN) - Anthony Weiner, the embattled New York City mayoral candidate who admitted this week to sending raunchy chats to a young woman last summer, estimated Thursday he had online relationships with three different women after his 2011 resignation from Congress.

But speaking at a news conference, the Democrat said he couldn't say for sure how many more women might come forward.

"There are a few. I don't have a specific number for you," Weiner said. "There are people I've had exchanges with that are completely appropriate, and that there are no pictures or illicit texts or anything. Now if those people want to say they don't like the exchanges we had either, I don't know where to put them."

READ MORE: Weiner's poll numbers tumble

Weiner stepped down from his House seat in 2011 after admitting to sending lewd photos and messages to multiple women online. He pointed out Thursday that when he left the House of Representatives, he admitted to exchanging messages with six women.

He then provided a rough total of how many women he's engaged with sexually online.

"It's not dozens and dozens," he said. "It's six to ten, I suppose, but I can't tell you absolutely what people are going to consider inappropriate or not."

READ MORE: Pelosi blasts Weiner: Do your therapy in private

Pressed to provide a guess as to how many of those relationships occurred after his resignation, Weiner said, "I don't believe I had any more than three."

Weiner has resisted calls from his rivals to withdraw from the race for New York City mayor, saying the decision of whether he's trustworthy enough for the job should be up to voters.

Sources: Huma Abedin considered leaving Weiner last fall

Weiner resists calls to withdraw as woman who received messages is identified

Why Anthony Weiner's problem is ours, too

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. Dominican mama 4 obama

NY voted for Hilary (when she briefly lived in the state). Weiner is a shoe in to win.

July 25, 2013 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  2. Brendan Morris

Why would voters and Weenie's spineless wife abide this lying, narcissistic low-life for even a moment?

July 25, 2013 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. Zenger Folkman

"I can't tell you absolutely what people are going to consider inappropriate or not."
    I suppose not. He really doesn't have a clue.

July 25, 2013 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. robjh1

Just for 15 minutes of shame ( I meant fame) these women will come out and Gloria Allred will probably rep one of them. History will judge this time in America harshly.

July 25, 2013 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  5. Dave The Butcher

Par for the course for people like him and executives through out. The only differencece here, is that he got caught.

July 25, 2013 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. CDMA-STL

Anthony Weiner is a disgrace to men; he's terribly self involved and seems to have no remorse for how his unethical behavior affects his wife and his poor son. I would NEVER vote for such a coward and liar. I hope NYorkers feel the same. He's an embarrassment.

July 25, 2013 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  7. gymviking

You can't expect a man, or mayorial candidate, really, to be able to keep track of such things....

July 25, 2013 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  8. Al

This guy makes me sick. His name should not be on the ballot. New Yorkers deserve much better.

July 25, 2013 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  9. JV

He needs the services of Olivia Pope..

July 25, 2013 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  10. Fiona

He "thinks" he texted three women. The problem is he DIDN'T think.

July 25, 2013 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  11. leah

Anthony Weiner is an embarrassment to NYC as it is. Why would they want to elevate that?

July 25, 2013 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. Data Driven

Just quit the campaign, Weiner. I'm tired of reading about you.

July 25, 2013 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  13. T.rex

"exchanges that were completely appropriate"?!?!? Dude,... if you're talking to someone online, and would be ashamed if your wife found out about it, then i can pretty much guarantee its inappropriate.

July 25, 2013 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  14. coolusernametwo

What a jerk! I understand his harmless entertainment, but he should have used a little bit of caution!

July 25, 2013 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  15. how will CNN try to spin this??? lol...

what a disgraceful man he is...a real nut..a freak, a pervert...and huma looks like an absolute idiot for staying with him.

July 25, 2013 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  16. Lateris

Everyone does it, just ask the NSA.

July 25, 2013 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  17. angeson

LOSE THE WEINER. That is good advice for Huma, The Democrats ant the City of New York

July 25, 2013 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  18. LDUB

If I was wieners opponent in this race I wouldn't talk about the issues....I wouldn't even get close to a conversation about them. All I would talk about is wieners decision making abilities, his complete lack of honesty with not only his wife but the voters too and his inability to function in a normal adult relationship. Nothing else!

July 25, 2013 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  19. jamesnyc

His wife should ditch him at this point. He needs to get out of this race. Spitzer in light of this is looking self serving too. You can see that they are out to do this for their egos not the people of New York.

July 25, 2013 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  20. OMG

If NY's vote for this freak then they deserve the resulting embarassments and scandals that are surely to follow. I don't feel for his wife one bit, she obviously has in the gutter standards.

Come on NY, is anyone there qualified or morally sane to run for Mayor?

July 25, 2013 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  21. Norman

Time for the wife to drop him like a hot rock. If he is doing all of this behind your back what else is he doing that you do not know about. He has a serious problem.

July 25, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  22. Ron Sampson

Why go through this? Why take your family through all this shame. I believe he still has about $4,000,000 left in his campaign war chest. He needs to go somewhere and hide.

July 25, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  23. Schep

Slouching toward idiocracy...

July 25, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  24. Bud

Dude needs help-big time. If his wife really cares for him, she should get him help and it would seem being mayor would be about 10th on the list of what he needs.

July 25, 2013 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  25. z&hcats

He's so busy in chatting with women online,how can he find time to be in any position?

July 25, 2013 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |