July 25th, 2013
9 months ago

Weiner estimates he sexted three women after resigning

(CNN) - Anthony Weiner, the embattled New York City mayoral candidate who admitted this week to sending raunchy chats to a young woman last summer, estimated Thursday he had online relationships with three different women after his 2011 resignation from Congress.

But speaking at a news conference, the Democrat said he couldn't say for sure how many more women might come forward.

"There are a few. I don't have a specific number for you," Weiner said. "There are people I've had exchanges with that are completely appropriate, and that there are no pictures or illicit texts or anything. Now if those people want to say they don't like the exchanges we had either, I don't know where to put them."

READ MORE: Weiner's poll numbers tumble

Weiner stepped down from his House seat in 2011 after admitting to sending lewd photos and messages to multiple women online. He pointed out Thursday that when he left the House of Representatives, he admitted to exchanging messages with six women.

He then provided a rough total of how many women he's engaged with sexually online.

"It's not dozens and dozens," he said. "It's six to ten, I suppose, but I can't tell you absolutely what people are going to consider inappropriate or not."

READ MORE: Pelosi blasts Weiner: Do your therapy in private

Pressed to provide a guess as to how many of those relationships occurred after his resignation, Weiner said, "I don't believe I had any more than three."

Weiner has resisted calls from his rivals to withdraw from the race for New York City mayor, saying the decision of whether he's trustworthy enough for the job should be up to voters.

Sources: Huma Abedin considered leaving Weiner last fall

Weiner resists calls to withdraw as woman who received messages is identified

Why Anthony Weiner's problem is ours, too

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. Guest

@Anonymous-But since he has a "D" before his name it's ok. He'll be blindly voted into office.
    ______________________________
    You're showing your partisanship. Weiner may have a bit of a problem but what he did wasn't anywhere near what Mark Sanford did by abandoning his state as governor to go to Argentina to meet up with his mistress. However, since he had an "R" by HIS name he was forgiven to the point that he's now a US SENATOR!! What a crock.

July 25, 2013 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  2. Anonymous

His wife need to get away from him and move on. Why is she supporting him??

July 25, 2013 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  3. .rrl

Dear Congressman Weiner – it is easy to figure out how many you have been texting - your phone bill... just read it...

July 25, 2013 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  4. fredb

Who does this clown think he is kidding – now the perv is trying to blame his wife!!! – what a dirt bag – just what we need another snake in office.

I really feel sorry for his wife; I would hope she would stand up for herself

July 25, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  5. BO

No Loss. Who wants a first lady of NYC who is snuggled in with the Muslim Brotherhood?

July 25, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  6. Sweet Caress

WHO CARES how many emails or whatever... That part of his life is between him and his wife. Let's judge his work and not his private life. Is he really mayor material? THAT is the question to ask. So he's an idiot... who cares...

July 25, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. 1alien1

not fit to lead. i do not care how much theropy he gets, he is bad news

July 25, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. Ryan

One can only guess if even his wife knows how many women it is....I bet the NSA does!!! The guy is a politician through and through....can't be honest even after he's been caught!!!

July 25, 2013 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  9. R Burns

Enough already! I'm not talking about the number of incidents this man has caused, but about the ridiculous overblown coverage. Geez.

July 25, 2013 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  10. Roscoe Chait

Isn't he embarrassed by this? I know... I'm being an idiot. He's a politician. Of course he's not embarrassed.

July 25, 2013 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  11. Rodney McNeely

Would y'all seriously take this off the front page?

July 25, 2013 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  12. Pat in IL

I can't understand st all why his wife stays with him. She must truly be a masochist, and I feel sorry for her.

July 25, 2013 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  13. Sloppy Joe

I think Weiner should just stick it out.

July 25, 2013 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  14. keltic1

I think I only had 3 since I PROMISED to stop, but maybe more , you guys let me know if you find more, OK? ;)

July 25, 2013 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  15. Kona

Clearly he lacks impulse control and that could be a problem if he is elected to office. Maybe he should go work at Chippendales or something–he seems like a natural.

July 25, 2013 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  16. Lepke

Get it together Weiner!

July 25, 2013 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  17. not a NYer

He has demonstrated gross almost obscene mis-judgement and that is not nearly as pathetic as the disregard he has shown for his family. He's unfit to lead. Period.

July 25, 2013 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  18. Robin Jones

"I don't have a specific number for you" only means that he won't admit to any more than can be proven. As that number rises, so will his estimate. A shameful liar, and not a very talented one either.

July 25, 2013 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  19. Des Perado

Weiner said Tuesday that he really was sorry—in fact he said he’s downright distraught
    Which is Demwit parlance from Bill Clinton to Al Gore for…I’m sorry I got caught

July 25, 2013 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  20. Johnny Mo

Obama knows exactly how many texts and to whom. He gets the report from Verizon. So, Mr. Weiner, you might as well fess up.

July 25, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  21. galsmu

She needs to dump him.

July 25, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  22. Starhopper

His wife is probably supporting him in the hopes of becoming the wife of the Mayor of New York and enjoying all the perks that come with that social status. I predict, if he pulls out of the race, or loses the race, we'll see her file for divorce shortly thereafter.

July 25, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  23. jharry

Geewillikers, who in their right mind would have anything to do with him? What would you have if you had Weiner and Henry Waxman in a room? You'd have the ugly room.

July 25, 2013 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  24. Nan

I don't know what happened to his wife in her past that decimated her self-esteem, but she needs to seek therapy and leave this horrible man.

July 25, 2013 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  25. Anonymous

go for it NYC! Make Carolos Danger Mayor and forever be known as Weinertown. He'll restore Times Square to its former 60s glory!

July 25, 2013 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |