July 26th, 2013
1 year ago

NY voter confronts Weiner for double standard

(CNN) – At least one Staten Island resident doesn't agree with Anthony Weiner's assertion his mayoral bid is representative of the middle class in spite of the new sexting revelations.

Weiner was confronted by the voter right after telling reporters he would likely soon stop answering questions about his previous online relationships.

Identifying herself as a Democrat and retired New York City Department of Education employee, Peg Brunda told Weiner she spent 21 years as a teacher and then nine as an assistant principal. As a city employee, "had I conducted myself in the manner in which you conducted yours, my job would have been gone," Brunda said.

Brunda continued, "I don't quite understand how you would feel you have the moral authority as the head administrator in the city to oversee employees when your standard of conduct is so much lower than the standard of conduct that's expected of us."

For his part, Weiner asked Brunda whether she would be voting for him, to which she answered with a definitive no.

Weiner did not respond directly to Brunda's assertions. "I want to let your neighbors make the decision for themselves based on all of the information that they have," he told her.

Brunda in turn told Weiner that while he is trying to get the middle class vote, the middle class "cannot conduct themselves in this manner," she said.

Polls that had put Weiner close to or even leading Democratic front-runner Christine Quinn, the City Council speaker, have not been kind since it was revealed this week that he continued sending lewd messages and photos to women he met online even after his 2011 resignation from Congress.

The latest NBC 4 New York/Wall Street Journal/Marist survey shows Weiner down 9% points from the 25%-20% lead he had over Quinn in late June. Quinn now leads Weiner 25%-16%.

To Brunda, Weiner defended his refusal to bow out of the mayor's race, saying that politicians frequently encounter individuals who don't like them or something in their background. "That's the way the process works. But that does not mean I stop running because I run into a person who respectfully asked me a question and they disagree with me," he said.

"I don't stop running. I keep plowing ahead. Because the things I care about, I care about these communities."

Filed under: Anthony Weiner
  1. Thomas

Thank You Peg Brunda for telling Carlos Danger the truth !

July 26, 2013 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  2. Sniffit

Had you been fired for the things Weiner did, you might have made a lot of money in a civil suit for wrongful termination. There's no real equivalence here. Private employment, even a public teacher, is a totally different ballgame than an elected office.

July 26, 2013 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  3. Rick McDaniel

It is incredible, what Dems will vote for. Simply incredible.

July 26, 2013 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  4. PJ

Cheers to Brunda!
    And his stupid answers prove Pelosi is right, he is clueless............and a whole lot more.

July 26, 2013 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  5. NancyBee

I would never vote for this man. He is a liar, untrustworthy, and a perv.

July 26, 2013 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  6. Joe

The teacher was pretty sanctimonious.

July 26, 2013 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  7. DJCowboy

His job is different from her's. In teaching, you're dealing with kids to young adults and you're not voted in, you're hired. In politics you're voted in (sometimes) so he's still depending on the citizens to get him hired. And on election day the voters will speak

July 26, 2013 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  8. Mike

Ms. Brunda hit the nail on the head. Politicians of all stripes view themselves as above the rules of conduct that both private and public employers place on their employees. Politicians expect to be forgiven for acts that most people would be fired for.

July 26, 2013 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  9. Tim

The hypocritical Democrats hold double standards all of the time. Why should this be any different?

July 26, 2013 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  10. sue

he's a big loooooser. and only a bigger looooser would vote for him.

July 26, 2013 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  11. AJ

If you don't like him .. DON'T VOTE FOR HIM...
    – that simple, next story.

The real disgusting concept here is why this is even in the news?

July 26, 2013 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  12. Paul Script

weiner is absolutely right ... about this one thing ... voters are by and large dumb and gullible, and will do what the party leaders tell/allow them to do. This is how he will be re-elected. It's not so much him, as the local party leadership (which in turn takes their direction from state and national party committees).

July 26, 2013 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  13. Kimo

Bingo, this teacher nailed it. Any other government employee is held to a standard much greater than any politician. And yet, Weiner expects us to hold him at a standard we wouldn't expect of any other employee. Seriously, you have a chief administrator that would fire a teacher for this behavior, but expects the voter to overlook his incredible lack of judgment and moral compass.

July 26, 2013 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  14. Surthurfurd

She is right, a teacher is held to a higher standard than most people in the US are, especially the economically and politically powerful.

July 26, 2013 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  15. Ron L

REALLY??? He is running because he cares for the community!!! NO, he's running because his EGO is SO LARGE that he wants that POWER of being the Mayor of New York!! Check his record in the Congress, he was nothing but a LOUD MOUTH that never achieved anything but blowing his own horn.. New York, you must NOT vote for this undisciplined egomaniac!!

July 26, 2013 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  16. anthony

Yes, of course there is a double standard!!! Football players get to hit people, cops get to shoot people, nurses work 3 days a week, if i did any of those things at my job I'd be fired. He is a politician, he is a criminal by trade. Everything he does is under scrutiny. If this is the worst thing he does, send dick pics, then i think the people of new york will have a pretty accurate portrayal of themselves as a mayor.

July 26, 2013 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  17. Bobbie

Peg Brunda for Mayor!

July 26, 2013 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  18. Susan

Thank GOD I don't live in New York and have to deal with that sick, pathetic moron. He is what the liberals deserve. The Democratic Party has gone to the dogs!

July 26, 2013 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  19. John

Her job would be safe here in polk county, florida. Teachers and assistant principals often get caught doing the same and much worse and as far as I can tell, never get fired. They just get moved around to other schools. I've seen and heard of multiple situations in the last two years.

July 26, 2013 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  20. Martin Angell

Glad the truth came to light so America doesn't have another black eye with Weiner in NYC. This SHOULD end his political career, but I'm sure they will find some other way to "serve" the People.

July 26, 2013 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  21. Doug

Sometimes, a person just needs to know when to quit. As Dirty Harry said in the movies years ago, "A man has to know his limits". And Weiner has moved beyond the limits of someone who has made a mistake, gotten straightened out, and ready to move on. His life obviously is still nothing but a negative distractions, bad jokes, and he would be a hindrance to the people's work of New York. Certainly not a role model to boot!

July 26, 2013 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  22. Marilyn

Anthony Weiner is an embarassment to New York City and New York state. He needs to crawl away and find some job out of the public eye.

July 26, 2013 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  23. Rudy

Pathetic creature this Weiner certainly is. Morality and decency are not part of his existence. His wife? That's another similar number. These people have no shame.

July 26, 2013 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  24. Larry

It's do as I say and not do as I do. Sounds like leadership!

July 26, 2013 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  25. kevin duplain

His decision to keep in the race really shows how arrogant this man is. He doesn't deserve the support of the regular working voter. It's all about him. Who wants someone like that running NYC?

July 26, 2013 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |