July 26th, 2013
1 year ago

NY voter confronts Weiner for double standard

(CNN) – At least one Staten Island resident doesn't agree with Anthony Weiner's assertion his mayoral bid is representative of the middle class in spite of the new sexting revelations.

Weiner was confronted by the voter right after telling reporters he would likely soon stop answering questions about his previous online relationships.

Identifying herself as a Democrat and retired New York City Department of Education employee, Peg Brunda told Weiner she spent 21 years as a teacher and then nine as an assistant principal. As a city employee, "had I conducted myself in the manner in which you conducted yours, my job would have been gone," Brunda said.

Brunda continued, "I don't quite understand how you would feel you have the moral authority as the head administrator in the city to oversee employees when your standard of conduct is so much lower than the standard of conduct that's expected of us."

For his part, Weiner asked Brunda whether she would be voting for him, to which she answered with a definitive no.

Weiner did not respond directly to Brunda's assertions. "I want to let your neighbors make the decision for themselves based on all of the information that they have," he told her.

Brunda in turn told Weiner that while he is trying to get the middle class vote, the middle class "cannot conduct themselves in this manner," she said.

Polls that had put Weiner close to or even leading Democratic front-runner Christine Quinn, the City Council speaker, have not been kind since it was revealed this week that he continued sending lewd messages and photos to women he met online even after his 2011 resignation from Congress.

The latest NBC 4 New York/Wall Street Journal/Marist survey shows Weiner down 9% points from the 25%-20% lead he had over Quinn in late June. Quinn now leads Weiner 25%-16%.

To Brunda, Weiner defended his refusal to bow out of the mayor's race, saying that politicians frequently encounter individuals who don't like them or something in their background. "That's the way the process works. But that does not mean I stop running because I run into a person who respectfully asked me a question and they disagree with me," he said.

"I don't stop running. I keep plowing ahead. Because the things I care about, I care about these communities."

Filed under: Anthony Weiner
  1. madmax

This grotesque, cartoon caricature of today's politician (the one we call Wiener), simply reflects where we have moved as a society. While it strikes me as somewhat sad and depressing, I am guessing that is partly because I am now a middle aged guy who would prefer things be as I remember them in my earlier days, and partly because society has simply chosen a path I would prefer it not take, one in which we are less accountable, less morally driven, seemingly moving without any real purpose, no real conviction, and with a focus only on those things that provide the most immediate benefit (it's like we've evolved into drug addicts looking for our next big fix).

July 27, 2013 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  2. Sharon Foster

I am also a public educator. We have a morality clause in our contract. I think it's time public officials have one too.
    Anthony Weiner should step down and show that he at least has some integrity left. His continuation validates his lack of ability to exhibit self control. NYC deserves better than a man who when his marriage is on the rocks, resorts to stimulating his ego with young women.

July 27, 2013 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  3. Craig McHugh

How appropriate that this guys name is Weiner. Not only is he a real weiner he goes around showing his weiner on Tweeter or to anyone women he can convince to see his Weiner on others forms of the internet. Weiner should not be allowed to continue to run for office of trash collector let alone the mayor of NY. All I can say to this guy is, what a weiner you are!

July 27, 2013 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  4. joedog

Weiner is the epitome of a politician, who cares little for anyone other than what he sees as he takes a "selfie". His wife is double dipping, unethically and probably legally so, as a "Special State Department employee" (thanks Hilary); while making 300K plus as an advisor to people (Thanks Bill Clinton), who want to know what our government is planning and thinking. She is worse than him and that is saying a lot. What a slimmer! Hey, New Yorkers, "Would you want your young daughter to work in his office?"

July 27, 2013 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  5. Calos Danger

Pushy , arrogant , self centered , narcissistic .

The American condition . Ratso Rizo , I'm walkin here !

July 27, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  6. happypuppy

Oh man, that was painful to watch. Thank you, Peg Brunda, for questioning him.

July 27, 2013 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  7. Troy

This guy is retarded. Any anyone that would vote for this POS should never be allowed to vote ever again. I cannot believe the balls on this guy. He has shown to be a multiple liar that is dirtier than an oil slick on a iceberg and he's obviously twice as toxic. I used to feel sorry for his wife but not I just potty her. This is the state of our politicians now and it shows clear across the country.

July 27, 2013 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  8. Done that

This narcissist further sours a cynical voting public, and saddest of all,
    has set a lousy example of texting do's and do'tns for young people
    and one day, his own child.

July 27, 2013 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. Mr. Peabody

Setting aside moral standards, this is about judgement. Weinar has clearly shown that he lacks the common sense, self control, and good judgement to hold elected office. By continuing a behavior he knows to be contrary to holding public office, he has shown he is unable to properly weigh consequences of actions.

July 27, 2013 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  10. ShaneLowe

Well, if the voters of South Carolina can elect Mark "I'm Going Hiking on the Appalachian Trail" Sanford to the United States House of Representatives after taking a trip to visit his mistress in Argentina using taxpayer dollars, I don't see the problem with New York electing Wiener. Let's not forget that Sanford continued his relationship with his mistress even after his return, before his term in office came to a close. Now he is engaged to marry her. To me it's about who can get the job done and apparently the majority of South Carolinians feel the same. Not to mention those represented by Sen. David Vitter in Louisiana, who frequented brothels during his marriage. They reelected him and were able to put his misdeeds aside as they felt he was the better man to get the job done.

July 27, 2013 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  11. D Dub

Being a politician is suppose to be about service and not a career.

July 27, 2013 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  12. alreadydidit

Voted in Sanford back in, voted Marion Barry back in....Everyone still loves Bill Clinton.......Weiner will probably win too.

July 27, 2013 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. jj

All Mr. Weiner cares about.......is his Weiner. Lol.

July 27, 2013 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  14. JH

that's a lie if I ever heard one.

"I don't stop running. I keep plowing ahead. Because the things I care about, I care about maintaining my position of power and authority because I'm of a higher class than everyone else."

that sounds more like it.

July 27, 2013 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  15. Guido

He should just disappear, plan and simple. whether it is his personal business, when he went on lying to the public, he lost his right to ask for understanding and forgiveness. He should move to North Carolina and become a Republican, he could be elected there by asking Mark Sanford for help.

July 27, 2013 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  16. Regina Froyd

First, I am counting on New York Democrats’ to clearly express their revulsion for Weiners’ behavior through their votes. Secondly, for the emotional and psychological wellbeing of their child, I urge his mother to remove him from the deviant behavior of his father, and seriously consider the ramifications all this negative publicity will have on her son (now a toddler) in the future. Remember, ALL of this information will be available for many years to come.

July 27, 2013 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  17. dontliveinNY

I sure hope the voters tell this self-righteous blowhard what they really think when it comes time to vote. If your city votes this guy in as Mayor you will be sinking to new lows.

July 27, 2013 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  18. Az

So she made the New York Weiner a New York Whiner? He's only one in 8-1/4 million!

July 27, 2013 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  19. Josh (retired teacher after 34 years of teaching)

The candidate is as arrogant as his actions and clearly has only one moral standard to live by...HIS...and using power over others...

July 27, 2013 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  20. Kebos

Weiner is a shameful individual bent on gaining as much wealth and control as he can. If he's elected, those who voted him in, deserve what they get! Lackluster performance from someone who has extremely low personal morals and no dignity for the office he would hold.

July 27, 2013 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  21. onceuponaclassroom

If he is doing it again there is something wrong with him. Once, fine. We all make mistakes. Ask for forgiveness, move on, and learn from your mistakes. ( especially if you are in the public spotlight) But then again? Sounds like Weiner has a mental addiction problem.

July 27, 2013 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  22. Teresa Drake

It's obvious that Mr. Weiner is not capable of making good decisions. And, after this interaction, it is very clear that the only leadership role he should assume, is the one of directing his own demise.

July 27, 2013 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  23. harnof48

Hurrah to Peg Brunda!
    Thank you for exposing the truth re. what this man is.
    He lacks decent moral character.
    It Does matter what he does in his private life, because that is what a person is.
    And that's what will represent NY.

July 27, 2013 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  24. Mary K. Walker

Weiner is not what NY needs for a mayor. He has mental health problems and it doesn't make a difference if he obtains treatment. He is confused if he thinks that only he can represent NYC Vote for ANYBODY else.

July 27, 2013 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  25. katrinanyc

Thank you to Peg Brunda for asking the same question of Anthony Weiner that ALL voting New Yorkers wished they could. Peg Brunda stayed cool while Weiner's ego seemed to want to devour the woman and toss the validity of her very valid question aside. Brilliant exchange. Bravo to Peg Brunda.

July 27, 2013 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |