July 26th, 2013
1 year ago

NY voter confronts Weiner for double standard

(CNN) – At least one Staten Island resident doesn't agree with Anthony Weiner's assertion his mayoral bid is representative of the middle class in spite of the new sexting revelations.

Weiner was confronted by the voter right after telling reporters he would likely soon stop answering questions about his previous online relationships.

Identifying herself as a Democrat and retired New York City Department of Education employee, Peg Brunda told Weiner she spent 21 years as a teacher and then nine as an assistant principal. As a city employee, "had I conducted myself in the manner in which you conducted yours, my job would have been gone," Brunda said.

Brunda continued, "I don't quite understand how you would feel you have the moral authority as the head administrator in the city to oversee employees when your standard of conduct is so much lower than the standard of conduct that's expected of us."

For his part, Weiner asked Brunda whether she would be voting for him, to which she answered with a definitive no.

Weiner did not respond directly to Brunda's assertions. "I want to let your neighbors make the decision for themselves based on all of the information that they have," he told her.

Brunda in turn told Weiner that while he is trying to get the middle class vote, the middle class "cannot conduct themselves in this manner," she said.

Polls that had put Weiner close to or even leading Democratic front-runner Christine Quinn, the City Council speaker, have not been kind since it was revealed this week that he continued sending lewd messages and photos to women he met online even after his 2011 resignation from Congress.

The latest NBC 4 New York/Wall Street Journal/Marist survey shows Weiner down 9% points from the 25%-20% lead he had over Quinn in late June. Quinn now leads Weiner 25%-16%.

To Brunda, Weiner defended his refusal to bow out of the mayor's race, saying that politicians frequently encounter individuals who don't like them or something in their background. "That's the way the process works. But that does not mean I stop running because I run into a person who respectfully asked me a question and they disagree with me," he said.

"I don't stop running. I keep plowing ahead. Because the things I care about, I care about these communities."

Filed under: Anthony Weiner
  1. Delphinus13

I applaud Ms. Brenda for having the courage to pose this question to his face and in full view of the public. She and the news caster didn't let Weiner tap dance round it either. He has no moral compass, no integrity, no character. He's the stereotypical corrupt politician who cares only about promoting himself and his "political career" at ALL costs. The NYC voters need to preemptively fire this clown BEFORE he makes this great city a laughing stock of the nation.

July 27, 2013 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  2. PetePete1

I cant believe this guy doesn't step down.If the people of N.Y. actually elect this guy it means that all morals have left this country,but as messed up as N.Y. is they probably will elect this Clown.No wonder polititians are hated so much.This guy has the gaul to rub it in folks faces.Disquesting excuse for a person.

July 27, 2013 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  3. Greg Munro

People are lowering their moral standards, if he even gets close to office. I understand that society needs to 'relax' a little- but their is such a thing as being to relaxed. Question, is he ever going to learn?

July 27, 2013 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  4. donna

He's just not Spitzer.

July 28, 2013 04:53 am at 4:53 am |
  5. Nadrakas

Bread & Circuses - that is all that we have today with Elected Officials trying to "Buy" Votes (the "Bread" part) and Hollywood giving us mind numbing junk (the "Entertainment"). Weiner just happened to get caught...the other Politicians are better at hiding their own Depravity.

~ M

July 28, 2013 05:07 am at 5:07 am |
  6. chuck

We've seen quite a number of known radical Muslims in the White House. ISNA. ICNA, Muslim Brotherhood, just to name a few. Hillary Clinton as Sec. of State liked to lick Huma Abedin (Anthony Weiner's wife) so much she made her Chief of Staff and traveled with her everywhere. Huma's parents convinced her to "go along" so they could have an operative in the top of the State Dept.. As a good Muslim she obeyed. Huma Abedin's parents have both sat on the boards of known terrorist organizations. Who knows how many secrets she passed on to her parents before Hillary finally stepped down? She also spent 13 years working directly for the Muslim World League, a major funder of Osama Bin Laden. America has yet again been injured by a Clinton's perverted lusts. But I digress. Of course corrupt politicians are a huge problem for America but Islam is the problem we can not afford to have them ignore. Obama is a devout Muslim with a particular hatred for America. Islam has made tremendous inroads into our federal government under his leadership with the help, of course, of Hillary Clinton, Valerie Jarrett, Eric Holder, etc.. It is no accident our military is being targeted by anti-Christians. It is no accident our schools, and yes even our churches, are being targeted by pro-Islamists. Islam is the enemy, make no mistake about it. There are no "good Muslims" only dangerous ones.

July 28, 2013 06:17 am at 6:17 am |
  7. singlechickfriendlyproducts

This guy is such a horse's rear it is unbelievable. Yeah for Peg Brunda. She did not let him evade her question as much as he tried. She would make a great investigative reporter. While Weiner would like it to not be so, his personal life is relevant. It reflects who he is. Egad, what bad judgment. Huma picked a loser.

July 28, 2013 07:00 am at 7:00 am |
  8. Colleen Kelly Mellor

'Plow ahead'? Hmmmm...Was he doing a similar tongue-in-cheek (careful, now) response to Jimmy Fallon's hilarious parody of Weiner's Carlos Danger personna?

July 28, 2013 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  9. Alan

How come reporters don't ask these questions ?

July 28, 2013 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  10. Thomas

Another pathetic professional political hack with little to offer. I would suggest he get a job in the private sector, but I doubt anyone would hire him.

July 28, 2013 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  11. Bill davis

Weiner sounds like another Obama, it is someone else's fault.
    Him and his wife are milking the system

July 28, 2013 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  12. The Lost Surveyor

Not that I give a rat rear about this dude. But this sounds like a political set up by his rival. Just saying.

July 28, 2013 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  13. David

Not unepected from a politician. They lie, steal, and cheat to get thier positions and stay there forever. I don't trust any of them.

July 28, 2013 09:00 am at 9:00 am |
  14. Freddo

Not fit for public office.. and hopes no one realizes it.

July 28, 2013 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  15. abmri60

And he never answered her question.

July 28, 2013 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  16. Daily Llama

Apparently Anthony "Whatever" cannot spell – or pronounce – his family name correctly. If it's spelled "Weiner" – "e" before the "i" – it's pronounced "Winer". If it's "i" before the "e", then it would be "Weener". Odd .....

July 28, 2013 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  17. SK

I am a Green Card holder for few years in US now and I am originally from India (Disclaimer). I moved to this wonderful country about 13-14 years ago and while growing up in India, I heard that once you are caught doing illegal or immoral thing in USA, your political career is over (unlike India where that's the benchmark for being a successful and powerful politician). So, whatever happened to people of this country? I mean, shouldn't we be throwing these kind of politicians into oblivion for good, the way we used to do in the past? When did this kind of behavior became acceptable?

July 28, 2013 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  18. Carlos Danger

Anthony Weiner is the one and only candidate for Mayor of NYC. But Mayor is just the start, in a few years, Governor, and after that, President. Get behind Weiner!

July 28, 2013 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  19. Tony2122

Why does the video stop? There seems to be a million cameras on there. Was the rest of the conversation not as thrilling as the first half?

July 28, 2013 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  20. julnor

The lady has an excellent point.

July 28, 2013 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  21. Billionantiaire

What people seem to forget is that getting elected is NOT like getting hired. When you get elected, you have very little competition for the "job" and the people that are "hiring" aren't that well-informed/smart to begin with.

July 28, 2013 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  22. Ginni Tritt

OK...I live in SC (but am NOT from here!) ...and I totally understand why SC chose the amoral "Goodbye, Argentina" Mark Sanford over a MUCH more moral and qualified candidate–these ppl will elect ANYbody or ANYthing to avoid Democrats. The majority here votes as a "pack." But, Geez, NY, I thought you ppl were better than this. If you support this guy, you NY Democrats are going to give this to the Republicans.
    I too am an educator. And this lady is spot on–Teachers would be canned for infractions HALF this serious in a heartbeat. I really liked this guy in the beginning. But his actions have taken away his power and any real respect he is due. I hope his wife makes his life a living hell.

July 28, 2013 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  23. Krista Cole

The people of New York City, and not you, Mr. Weiner, will decide your fate. Either you will bow out, or they will kick you, come time to vote. Your choice. The guy in N.C. succedded and won. That was N.C. I have to believe people in NYC are smarter.

July 28, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  24. Sandy

I can unequivocally say that had this behavior happened from a male in my school district, he would NOT have been fired! We had a male teacher expose himself in public, and all he got was a 2 year PAID suspension! Of course his father was the superintendent of the school district

July 28, 2013 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  25. Cpt. Obvious

I don't "support" Weiner, but I highly approve of his method of dealing with the question. I wish more politicians would answer questions from non supporters in this manner. "You're not voting for me because of this issue? Fine. I'm not the candidate for you, but I'm in the race, so your friends and neighbors can make their own decision based on their reasoning."

July 28, 2013 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |