July 28th, 2013
1 year ago

More bad news for Weiner: Campaign manager quits

(CNN) - Days after Anthony Weiner admitted to lewd chats with women online, his campaign manager quit, Weiner and his campaign said Sunday.

Danny Kedem's departure is the latest sign Weiner's New York City mayoral bid is struggling amid allegations of online sexual impropriety. After the chats and photographs became public Tuesday, a poll showed him dropping to second place among Democratic candidates for mayor and his favorable numbers plummeting.

"Danny has left the campaign," Weiner told CNN affiliate NY1. "He did a remarkable job."

Praising the "excellent staff" remaining in his organization, Weiner said more volunteers had flocked to his bid in the last few days than at any point since his campaign began.

"This isn't about the people working on the campaign, it's about the people that we're working for," he said.

Kedem, a 31-year-old operative who previously worked for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, declined comment in an e-mail to CNN.

Weiner first acknowledged Tuesday that he did not stop sending raunchy online chats to women when he left Congress in 2011. That resignation was prompted by allegations from several women that Weiner had sent them lewd photographs of himself.

Speaking at a news conference Thursday, the Democrat said he couldn't say for sure how many more women might come forward.

"There are a few. I don't have a specific number for you," Weiner said.

Pressed to provide a guess as to how many online relationships occurred after his resignation, Weiner said, "I don't believe I had any more than three."

He has resisted calls from his rivals to withdraw from the mayor's race, saying the decision of whether he's trustworthy enough for the job should be up to voters.

His chief rival for the Democratic nomination, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, stopped short of calling for his withdrawal from the mayor's race Sunday but lambasted his actions as generating further distrust in government.

"I think it's become very clear that former Congress member Weiner has a pattern of reckless behavior, an inability to tell the truth and a real lack of maturity and responsibility," Quinn said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "I don't think he should be mayor, and I think voters, if he stays in the race, will make that very clear."

On Friday, Weiner indicated he may stop answering questions altogether about his online relationships.

"There's going to reach a point fairly soon that I'm going to say I think I've said enough about it, and I'm going to keep just talking about other things," he told reporters on Staten Island.

CNN's Chris Kokenes and Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. Criminy

Why would anyone trust this man at any public post??? Is he gonna do his job from the bathroom... in front of the mirror with his pants pulled down?

July 29, 2013 07:11 am at 7:11 am |
  2. Don DaMiddle

Missed headline opportunity...
    when Weiner loses head of staff.

July 29, 2013 07:18 am at 7:18 am |
  3. whocares

weiner is already over dont the good democrats have another to sacrifice ?

July 29, 2013 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  4. starman5

said it once, will say it again, he's pathetic. Can't imagine sending pictures of THAT body to anyone!!

July 29, 2013 07:36 am at 7:36 am |
  5. ally buster

What are these women thinking?

That is one UGLY man!!

July 29, 2013 07:57 am at 7:57 am |
  6. Anon

if by some weird fluke he wins he can send out some naked pics of himself to celebrate....ha

July 29, 2013 07:58 am at 7:58 am |
  7. leah

The last person we need sitting in the NYC mayor's seat is Carlos Danger......

July 29, 2013 08:06 am at 8:06 am |
  8. Megan

It's time to back down, Weiner. Thanks for the entertaining news.

July 29, 2013 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  9. Jim

Can you imagine how the people trailing Weiner in the polls feel? They're losing to a twisted pervert whose exploits are known nationally. And who votes for a whack job like this? To think there is anyone in their right mind supporting him makes you wonder what is going on in the heads of New Yorkers.

July 29, 2013 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  10. Hairy leg

The wife will be next lot abandon ship.

July 29, 2013 08:18 am at 8:18 am |
  11. Michael

Ha ha. Weiner. It's never not funny.

July 29, 2013 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  12. bangladong

I am a democrat, embarrassed firstly by Obama, then by Weiner! The order of disappointment should go from the top....down!

July 29, 2013 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  13. Anonymous

I wish I could vote in New York so I could help this guy win. New York deserves a man of such upstanding moral character. I grew up on Long Island and lived there for 20 years. I don’t live there anymore and I’m very glad that I don’t. New York used to be a tough town where people stood up for their principles. Now it’s just a cesspool of liberal vomit.

July 29, 2013 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  14. Little Weiner

Clearly, little Weiner should become a civi9l court judge. He'd fit right in. There, he can do and say as he pleases with immunity which has been legislated by the similar lawyers who enriched themselevs in the civil court cesspool and then bought elected office. Weiner is ONE of these sociopaths. They seem to gravitate to law degrees. People – Please stop electing lawyers to office. They are scumbags. I can prove this FACT. The FBI ignores it. Shame on you FBI. You disgrace American edicts.

July 29, 2013 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  15. Vader

Wow. Look up "spin" in the dictionary, and you'll see that video.

July 29, 2013 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  16. Joe Iwasevic

Its not about," his perrsonal life is his buisness", its that if he becomes Mayor things like this could be used against him for bribes, bids on contracts and job appointments. I bet some terrorist would love to bribe him.

July 29, 2013 08:35 am at 8:35 am |
  17. CA

"Unlike Republicans who love to vote for felons and criminals, we Democrats do not approve of even slight offensives as Weiner did, not illegal, but just not something we support in our politicians." Who are you kidding? Does the name Bill Clinton come to mind???

July 29, 2013 08:38 am at 8:38 am |
  18. rkdres

Weiner looks like the guy who "played" the part of Kramer on Seinfeld during the NBC pilot episode. Not Michael Richards. "I'm Kramer, no I'm Kramer...."

July 29, 2013 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  19. waterdances

These "sexting" e-mails were unsolicited. He REALLY is nothing more than a high-tech FLASHER who clearly can't stop. His wife is worse - defending him to keep herself in the limelight via his coattails (if he has any on!).

July 29, 2013 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  20. Hawkeye

Weiner is representative of all elites – they believe the law and moral standards do not apply to them.

July 29, 2013 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  21. Tony

Yet another example of hubris a condition most people have with any kind of power a self- serving complex. Has anything really improved for the"people" really the rich has in fact have gotten richer!!! less people are finding the kind of jobs that will support them and frankly the quality of living in this city has fallen. It's only the wealthy that are reaping the rewards of the city and nation. The people that run for public office or higher office are very very well connected people which has access to the rich and powerful. the grassroots independents never even get a chance to compete very said. I think Anthony and his wife are 2 sick people that should move on. I'm actually questioning the behavior of the wife to put up with all of this sick!!!

July 29, 2013 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  22. nwg6011

Is it possible to revoke his viagara prescription?

July 29, 2013 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  23. midwest3

It's refreshing and encouraging to read these comments and realize that so many people have no tolerance for someone like Weiner.

July 29, 2013 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  24. SteveFromBoston

Is this seriously the best person to run one of the world's largest cities.....why is he even in consideration.....I am embarrassed for his poor wife.

He sent a picture of his erection to a woman under the alias "Carlos Danger" and then lied about it.......he's about as creepy as it gets....

July 29, 2013 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  25. quinLee

can you imagine this guy in office. Mr. Weiner, let's discuss the budget.......excuse me I have to go back to my hotel room to respond to this text first.

July 29, 2013 08:55 am at 8:55 am |