NYC Poll: Majority say Weiner should call it quits
July 29th, 2013
9 months ago

NYC Poll: Majority say Weiner should call it quits

(CNN) – It's time to drop out.

That's the message to Anthony Weiner from a majority of New York City Democrats likely to vote in September's mayoral primary, according to a new poll.

The Quinnipiac University survey, conducted entirely after Weiner admitted in a news conference last week to lewd chats a year after such sexting forced him to resign from Congress, also indicates that the Democratic New York City mayoral candidate's support among likely voters has dropped significantly.

By a 53%-40% margin, Democrats say Weiner should end his bid for a political second chance. The poll was conducted Wednesday through Sunday, following Weiner's Tuesday press conference. It's the second straight poll conducted since the latest controversy exploded across New York City to indicate that Weiner's numbers are plummeting.

According to the new poll, Weiner has dropped from first to fourth place in the race for the Democratic nomination. Weiner now has the support of 16% of likely Democratic primary voters, down 10 points from a Quinnipiac poll conducted almost entirely before last Tuesday's news. In that survey Weiner was at 26%, on top of the field of candidates.

More bad news for Weiner: Campaign manager quits

The poll indicates New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn at 27%, Public Advocate Bill de Blasio at 21%, and former New York City Comptroller Bill Thompson at 20%, all ahead of Weiner. The remaining candidates are in single digits, with seven percent of likely voters undecided.

Quinn: Weiner is immature, disconnected from the truth

"With six weeks to go, anything can happen, but it looks like former Congressman Anthony Weiner may have sexted himself right out of the race for New York City mayor," said Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute.

Weiner has repeatedly vowed to push forward with his campaign, despite the recent dust-ups over the past week. In a fundraising email sent Monday, one day after his campaign manager quit, the candidate announced he will publish "yet another book of ideas" for New York, following his campaign book with "64 ideas" to keep the middle class afloat in New York. He said he also plans to show up at more events, debates street fairs and worship services.

"In short, I'm going to keep doing what I've always done. I'm going to keep on fighting for my city," he said.

Source: Clintons livid with Weiner personally, disputes NY Post

If Weiner were to drop out, the poll indicates Quinn at 30% among Democrats likely to vote in the primary, with de Blasio and Thompson each at 25% and the remaining candidates in single digits. The winning candidate would have to top 40% in order to avoid a runoff with the second place finisher.

There's little gender gap on the question of whether Weiner should end his bid, with 54% of women and 52% of men saying he should drop out. But there's a large racial divide, with 53% of black voters saying Weiner should remain in the race, and 64% of white voters saying it's time for him to hang it up.

In the horserace question, Weiner dropped seven points among black voters, from 31% last week to 24% now. But he nosedived among white voters from 23% to just 7%. He dropped from 27% to 18% among women Democratic voters, and from 24% to 13% among men.

King: ‘Pathological problem’ should bar Weiner from becoming mayor

Forty percent of those questioned say Weiner's behavior disqualifies him from consideration as a candidate, up 17 points from last week. Another four in ten say his behavior is a factor, but doesn't disqualify him and one in five say his actions are not a factor at all in their vote.

And NBC 4 New York/Wall Street Journal/Marist survey conducted Wednesday and released Thursday indicated Weiner dropped nine points in the horserace, among registered Democrats, and that his favorable rating sank 22 points, to 30%.

The Quinnipiac University poll was conducted July 24-28, with 446 likely Democratic primary voters in New York City questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 4.6 percentage points.

– CNN's Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York • Polls
  1. Rudy NYC

You don't make a comeback by first running for a more powerful position than the one that you resigned from, dude. It's even worse when you do it after dropping off the radar for a year, and suddenly, viola, you're running for a more powerful office.

July 29, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. ????

"But there's a large racial divide, with 53% of black voters saying Weiner should remain in the race, and 64% of white "voters saying it's time for him to hang it up.
    --------
    How any voter could think this guy should remain in the race is beyond me. There are a lot of people in New York who seriously screwed up.

July 29, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  3. Larry in Houston

guess this guy is numb – to the fact that since he's been through all of this before. He won't quit till the fat lady sings. LOL

July 29, 2013 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  4. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

At least Spitzer gave it some time and ran for a lesser position.

July 29, 2013 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  5. Hooper

And go into hiding. He's a perv. needing a keeper. Not a leader needing to lead.

July 29, 2013 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  6. Marie MD

Enough of this loser and his junk. I hope he doesn't win but weirder things have happened on the rethug side.
    That being said, did you know that the KKK is now the neighborhood watch klan in Missouri? Can't remember the city of hand. I guess now that voting rights have been taken away by the SCOTUS they think they can zimmerman us too!
    Yes, roberts and his group off merrymen, Americans thank you from the bottom of our hearts. NOT!

July 29, 2013 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  7. Steveo

I am weary of polls! I will believe this only when Weiner fails to win the Dem nomination! If he wins this, then this poll is the equal to Ace Ventura talking while bent over! Think about it!

July 29, 2013 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  8. ThinkAgain

The only reason Wiener is staying in the race is because he wants to serve the people of NYC – but can't accept the best way to do that is to quit.

July 29, 2013 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  9. Data Driven

There were a couple of interesting stories here earlier, but y'all closed the comments on those and keep them open for dreck like this. And yet you moderate away my description of what I had for lunch on the Clinton/Abedin thread? I assure you my lunch was more relevant.

ANY wonky stuff for the political junkies today?

July 29, 2013 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  10. PJ

So– I heard that some reporter asked Weiner "what will you tell your son?".

Answer: "He's going to live at Gracie Mansion, so don't worry about it".

Not only is he arrogant and clueless, now he just makes me sick.

July 29, 2013 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  11. Lynda/Minnesota

1. Anthony Weiner is falling in the polls.

2. Barrack and Hillary had lunch.

Thank goodness I took a break from stripping wallpaper. I might have missed both these pearl clutching news scoops.

July 29, 2013 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  12. tom l.

@Sniffit
    "Yawn. You think we're better off with the ones who have been quite literally purchased by people like the Koch brothers or Wall Street's wealthiest bankers?"

talk about "yawn" with your Koch brothers comment but I'm curious if you were talking about Obama with the "Wall Street's wealthiest bankers" line...

July 29, 2013 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  13. Lynda/Minnesota

Oh, darn. I misspelled our President's name. Barack and Hillary had lunch.

(That'll teach me for taking a break to check up on the ticker news.)

July 29, 2013 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  14. Donkey Party

Why is it that Democrats are held to a higher standard than Republicans? Wiener sent out some naughty pics, while Sanford actually cheated on his wife, abandoned his post, then lied about his whereabouts. Ensign and Vitter were just as bad, if not worse. Where is the outrage over those clowns?

July 29, 2013 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  15. Jean

Power-hungry narcissist. Does he not realize he is nothing but a joke, the butt of jokes actually. This man could never ever be Mayor of New York city, not even of a tiny little town in middle America, no one respects him. He's a jerk and a liar (oh well being a liar doesn't disqualify anyone from politics anymore, Weiner is too much of a pervert jerk though).

July 29, 2013 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  16. Romney is STILL NOT My Hero

This lipless wonder needs to disappear. I feel sorry for his wife, but "this stand-by-your-man" crap has to stop. Divorce him and move on with your life, honey.

July 29, 2013 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I might have missed both these pearl clutching news scoops
    -------------------------------------------------
    I know right! LOL!
    Meanwhile it seems that it my posts contain the names Clinton and Weiner they get detained at the border.
    CNN: keeping us where they want us.

July 29, 2013 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  18. The Truth Hurts

Everyone knows that the other Democrat hopefuls in the race want to pound Wiener....

THANK YOU! I AM HERE ALL WEEK!

July 29, 2013 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  19. Name jk. Sfl. GOP conservatives,the garbage of America.

Huma, dump this egotistical loser and find areal husband which I know you can, nobody would blame you, we all know where the problem lies!!!

July 29, 2013 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  20. I'm NOT a liberal

July 29, 2013 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  21. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama:
    CNN: keeping us where they want us.
    ---------------

Oh, yes!! Day in day out ... after day; after day; after day.

July 29, 2013 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  22. Getoverit

@Name jk. Sfl. GOP conservatives...blah..blah..blah

-----–
    Really surprised at your comment, since Weiner Boy is a Democrat.

July 29, 2013 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  23. ThinkAgain

@PJ: I'm no fan of Weiner, but here's the rest of the soundbite (which you won't hear on Fox and found on the NY Magazine website):

Turning serious, he said, "I hope that what he sees is the value of what I'm trying to do here. I hope he sees that I was a good mayor. That the tolls were lower on Staten Island because his father was mayor."

Like I said, I think Weiner wants to serve the good people of NYC; he's just in denial that he would do that best by dropping out of the mayoral race.

July 29, 2013 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  24. Borderless

There's a lot of things he should quit doing. Running for mayor is just one of them.

July 29, 2013 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  25. ThinkAgain

@I'm NOT a liberal: "The majority of the people STILL don't want Obamacare yet that didn't stop democrats from passing it."

Two things: The dip in the support numbers are because the Repubs' plan to stall and delay and drag their feet about implementing it while simultaneously lying about it is having an effect.

Secondly: A majority of Americans (including a majority of Repubs, according to a Fox News poll) want universal background checks for gun purchases. Were you upset when the Repubs filibustered the bill to do so, at the behest of the NRA?

*crickets*