July 30th, 2013
1 year ago

Quinn: Forget about second chances

(CNN) – As scandal-tinged Democrats make runs for top New York City posts, another candidate in the running is highlighting the historic nature of her candidacy.

Christine Quinn, the city council speaker who is currently the frontrunner in the Democratic mayoral field, argued on CNN's "New Day" that the discussion about giving former congressman Anthony Weiner a second chance was misplaced.

"Look, for me, the question is, let's give us the first chance," Quinn told CNN's Kate Bolduan. "When I'm elected mayor, I'll be the first woman and first openly gay mayor of the city of New York. Let's not have a conversation about second chances, let's talk about first chances and history and what that could mean for the greatest city in the world, and to me that's exciting."

On Monday, a poll showed Weiner dropped to fourth place among Democratic candidates for mayor – a sharp fall that came after he admitted to sending lewd messages and photos to a woman online as recently as a year ago.

Weiner is attempting a political comeback bid in New York – he left Congress in shame in 2011 for sending similar messages and photos.

Quinn, unlike some of her fellow Democratic contenders, has not called for Weiner to drop out of the race, though she has slammed his judgment and called him unqualified for the post.

Eliot Spitzer, himself attempting a political second chance after resigning as New York governor in 2008 amid a prostitution scandal, said Monday that Weiner should not be mayor. Spitzer is running for comptroller, the city's top financial post.

And while Spitzer seemed to be in agreement with her on Weiner's qualifications for mayor, Quinn dismissed his assessment on Tuesday.

"I think whatever Eliot Spitzer says is not so relevant to the mayor's race, at all. The voices that matter are the New Yorkers that are going to vote, and trust me, every day out there they are asking me what I can do to make their lives better."

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • Christine Quinn • New York
  1. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

"The voices that matter are the New Yorkers that are going to vote, and trust me, every day out there they are asking me what I can do to make their lives better."
    ----------------------------------------------
    That's exactly what Weiner said. I feel at this point he should drop off, but hey, like they've both said, "it's up to New Yorker's to decide."

July 30, 2013 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  2. Rick McDaniel

NYC is so far gone, it really doesn't matter who becomes mayor. They will be mayor of one of the most crime ridden cities in America. It just doesn't matter, when you know it will simply get worse.....and worse......and never better.

July 30, 2013 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  3. Would You Look at That

NYC should be so proud...

July 30, 2013 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  4. S.B. Stein

Weiner shouldn't have run so soon. He needed to do something else first. Practicing in a private law firm if he was a lawyer or doing some nice things that get his name associated with good works first. Spitzer isn't running for as high profile post and relates to something that he did before his fall. Spitzer went after people for doing wrong things to protect the innocent and powerless.

July 30, 2013 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  5. Rudy NYC

July 30, 2013 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  6. Malory Archer

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

----------------

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

According to the polls released since this new revelation, you are not alone in your opinion. He'll most likely be finished by week's end.

July 30, 2013 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  7. Malory Archer

Would You Look at That

NYC should be so proud...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Of the fact that they're kicking him to the curb over his latest indescretion? Dang skippy they shoud be!

July 30, 2013 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  8. Sniffit

Stupid answer. What happens when SHE needs a second chance for some reason down the road? Yeah, she gets to eat these words. Smart answer was "That's for the people to decide. I'm here to talk about why I am running, not why someone else shouldn't be."

July 30, 2013 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  9. Sniffit

"Speaker Quinn is the architect of Bloomberg's controversial thrid term as mayor. We used to have term limits. There was a referendum that imposed limits on the mayor and council members. You would think that it would take another referendum to overturn it. Nope. Led by Bloomberg's lobbying, Quinn orchestrated a council vote that overturned the term limits law. Sadly, the actions were upheld in the courts."

And THAT, right there, is why I'm not a fan of hers. I'm no staunch advocate of term limits for every situation, but where they exist, it should be considered fairly disgusting and immoral to orchestrate an end-run around them, whether it was upheld as legal or not. "Legal" isn't always the be all end all of what is "right."

July 30, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  10. Al-NY,NY

Rick McDaniel

----

this from some clueless tightie rightie who probably lives in one of the "safe" cities of St. Louis, Birmingham, or Memphis which are ALL much higher than the national average. NYC is not even close. Read the stats genius

July 30, 2013 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  11. Becker

I don't like Weiner and would not vote for him but his conduct is 2nd on the list of reasons. We are all fallible and broken and agree we should all be given 2nd chances. The voters of NYC will figure it out. Whatever that may be its not going to be pleasant ride for Weiner. Young women supposedly love him if that's not hilarious.

July 30, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  12. Rudy NYC

Sniffit wrote:

-------------
    You can say that again, and now you just did. It was morally reprehensible.

I recall that they had argued that there was nothing in the term limits that said that the City Council could not vote to overturn it. It was an action that I would expect of a Republican, but was thoroughly appalled to see it done by Democrats. But, like I said. Bloomberg "lobbied" heavily for it, and got enough votes to overturn it.

July 30, 2013 10:44 am at 10:44 am |