July 31st, 2013
1 year ago

'Maverick' wanders into the wrong herd

Washington (CNN) – Those of us who've walked into the wrong classroom or business meeting know the feeling; the sudden sensation of oops, the quick apology, the urge to back away without losing too much dignity. One United States senator had exactly that feeling Wednesday.

Republican John McCain accidentally walked in on a Capitol Hill meeting Democrats were having with President Barack Obama.

In response to media reports Wednesday afternoon, McCain tweeted: "I opened the wrong door, looked in and saw the President, said "my mistake" and everybody laughed."

"Lighten up everybody," the tweet continued.

McCain did not stay for the meeting despite what was reportedly a good-natured invitation from Obama to join Senate Democrats. Obama met with Congressional Democrats Wednesday to push agenda items like the economy, climate change and ensuring the implementation of Obamacare.

The 2008 nominee for president, McCain has become more and more prominent as something of an intermediary in Congress recently, planning a trip to Egypt at Obama's request, praising the president's speech about the Trayvon Martin verdict while calling for a review of Stand Your Ground laws and even calling a presidential race between fellow Republican Rand Paul and Democrat Hillary Clinton a "tough choice."

Filed under: Congress • John McCain • Senate
  1. BobInIrvine

The response by the President to McCain's accidental entrance (inviting him to stay) shows class and bipartisanship. Unfortunately, bipartisanship and compromise are anathema to GOP/TeaNuts.

July 31, 2013 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  2. pchelp, Juneau, AK

Even in 2008 I like McCain. I voted for Obama because I thought McCain was mistaken in his policies-and I definitely didn't want Palin a 'heartbeat away' from the Presidency. But I trusted McCain, maybe even more than I trusted Obama-I just thought he was wrong.

July 31, 2013 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  3. bankrupt to student loans

Trouble ^ 2 = mccain and graham go to egypt.

July 31, 2013 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  4. Mikey

@Boomer – It's a cute story and, yes, I could see myself doing it with a less graceful exit.

July 31, 2013 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  5. Gamthin

And where was the Secret Service that an uninvited person could just open the door to a room with the President? I understand McCain is not a risk, but shouldn't the Service have known he wasn't supposed to be there?

July 31, 2013 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  6. asdrel

To Just Sayin' – "a real national priority as unemployment is at record levels for record lengths of time".
    Have you ever heard of the Great Depression which started in 1929, and saw unemployment rates at or near 30% (much higher than those seen since the recession of 2008 started. Those rates stayed high for years, and didn't come down to what we are currently seeing for far longer than Obama has been in office.

July 31, 2013 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  7. Thaddeus Kozubal

It must have been the glare of the sun. McCain of the desert didn't see the blue tag on the door. He was looking for the red tag, when all he had to do is follow the smell into the other room where low and low John Boehner was intoxicating his fellow rum-runners.

July 31, 2013 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  8. Chaerlotte

Romney is STILL NOT: McCain could do a whole lot more than "inch" to the left and still be wayyyyyy to the right of center. Allying oneself with the teapatties puts you just short of 3 standard deviations. You got a LONG way to even get back near the center.

July 31, 2013 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  9. cbp

SEn. McCain is a good man. His views differ from mine and I believe that he had difficulty accepting his defeat because he put so much into his campaign. Human nature takes over at times. Hopefully he will decide to lead the Republicans to the table to talk about the problems we face and find solutions that have bipartisan support. That action would certainly give him more recognition in the history books.

July 31, 2013 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  10. Bob Lewis

According to CNN, he's the only person in the Senate, since he's they only guy they ever interview on any subject.

July 31, 2013 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  11. Rick

Silly me, I thought McCain WAS a Democrat ;)

July 31, 2013 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  12. Michael Benjamin

Talk about a non-story.

July 31, 2013 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  13. goblackhawks

and Obama has an OOPS presidency .... Gas prices HIGH, unemployment still HIGH, Benghazi, Fast & Furious, IRS targeting people who disagree with Obama , NSA, etc .... CNN start doing news and drop you pom-poms and do your job ....

July 31, 2013 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  14. AlwaysGreener

"They answer to their corporate sponsors, not to the people."

Oh, so the Dems campaign contributions came strictly from loving citizens? Puppets, all of them!

July 31, 2013 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  15. Yuri Pelham

Remember when he was invited to be Kerry's running mate for VP. He's quite an interesting character and the real leader of an otherwise dysfunctional Senate

July 31, 2013 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  16. Wake up People!

I actually think this is a funny story. I know I have walked into the wrong place before. Once I was messing around with my phone while walking down the stairs in my bldg and actually tried putting my key in my neighbors' door!

Great sense of humor Mr. President and Senator McCain!

July 31, 2013 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  17. Rembrant

Somebody walked into the wrong room. this is news?