August 1st, 2013
12 months ago

5 things we're learning from Christie-Paul spat

Washington (CNN) - A very public squabble between two top Republican politicians who might be leading contenders for the 2016 GOP presidential nomination has grabbed clicks online and airtime on cable news.

The war of words between New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky over national security, civil liberties and federal spending is also a proxy for the bigger battle for the future of the Republican Party.

Here are five things we're learning from their spat.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2016 • Chris Christie • Rand Paul
  1. Marie MD

I'll start with neither will win the 2016 election.
    One is a little racist turkey boy from KY who is okay with big government only as long as rights that he doesn't believe in are kept in check. The other is a big bully from NJ who physically comes at you when you disagree with him or call him out about something he is doing wrong.
    They are both rethugs. Actually who knows what lite paul really is.

August 1, 2013 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  2. Malory Archer

Are Christie & aquabudda slow-jamming in the photo above?

August 1, 2013 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  3. Boomer in Mo

Rand should not have started a fight with Christie. He's far outmatched and if he had any brains, he would have known that. Christie is a street fighter. Rand is the favored spoiled brat of a doctor.

August 1, 2013 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  4. Lynda/Minnesota

I sincerely hope this so called "spat" might be far from over. It is in my opinion beyond amusing. A repeat of 2012 ... PLUS the added steroids effect of two regular American he-men-bullies vying for top billing.

Sorry, Rand Paul. Sorry Chris Christie .... Come 2016, I'll be giving you each a vote of "thanks, but no thanks".

August 1, 2013 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  5. Durant

Republicans, are like little children unless they get their way on everything?

August 1, 2013 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    Yes Lordy!
    I can't wait to vote for Hillary and be accused of voting for her because she's a......WOMAN!!
    LOL!

August 1, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  7. Data Driven

This story is, in the words of Bilbo Baggins, "butter scraped over too much bread."

Here's what I'm not learning in this piece:
    1) How are they governing? What legislation has Paul crafted in the Senate? What's New Jersey's unemployment rate compared to other Atlantic Seaboard states?
    2) What's the education ranking of KY and NJ, and what are these two doing about it?
    3). Has the quality of life improved in those states since each man assumed their respective offices?
    4). What's the crime rate for each state?
    5). How does each man feel about the severe abortion restrictions that are sweeping other places in the USA?

Those are just 5 things I'd like to learn. Since each man will probably run for President, their performance should be discussed NOW.

August 1, 2013 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  8. Gurgyl

GOP is gone dead for a decade or two. Acting like idiots.

August 1, 2013 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  9. Lynda/Minnesota

Yes Lordy!
    LOL!
    -------–

You won't have to wait too long. It's a back burner issue ... for now. I still haven't quite made up my mind whether as a white woman I am being accused of voting for President Obama because he is white, or because he is black? With Hillary it will be so much easier to follow the right wing talking points.

August 1, 2013 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  10. The Hippies Were Right

I don't think we learned 5 things. Sounds like the same old GOP that always leaves you saying to yourself "are you serious!", as your shaking your head in disbelief.

August 1, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  11. anon

It's all a dog and pony show – they are the 2016 Republican ticket with Christie on top.

August 1, 2013 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    You have such a way with words my friend.
    Smoooth as butter you are,why, they don't even feel the knife going in and twisting!
    I keep trying to filter myself but I just CAIIIN'T seem to really want to help myself!!
    The stuff good teams are made of you and I.

August 1, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  13. Dominican mama 4 Obama

We learned that Opie Paul is not equipped to go toe-to-toe against big guys, literally or figuratively.

August 1, 2013 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  14. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama: "The stuff good teams are made of you and I."

Can you believe it has been 5 years since we first met here on the ticker? If I remember correctly, I gave up on the hate (something I will admit I was NOT prepared for) and called it a year. You, my friend, kept going. And yes. I like to think we make a very good team. I suspect the right wing has yet to understand what it is up against with Hillary Clinton ... should she decide to run.

Benghazi. Benghazi. Benghazi.

August 1, 2013 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  15. Sniffit

"I'm sure this has nothing to do with the "This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility" line. Probably not the smartest thing to say to someone like Putin."

Want to explain how that would indicate weakness? It was a statement that he doesn't have to be concerned with getting re-elected and won't need to pay quite as much attention to political concerns when making his decisions. That's an INCREASE in the strength of your position, not a decrease.

The reality is that we don't exactly have all that much leverage with Russia and it's been that way for the past couple decades. And besides, there's very little we could do to stop Russia from granting the kid asylum...just like there's very little Russia and other countries can do to us for all the people we grant asylum to. There was no way to stop Russia from dong this and there's really no way to punish them for it. That's just the practical truth.

Here's what's going to happen: symbolic gesture of stern disapproval, some words to indicate the same, and then everyone moves on like it never happened. So no, sorry RWNJ Teatrolls, this isn't really an opportunity to impugn Obama's foreign policy and national security credentials or drum up another nontroversy for the GOP/Teatrolls in the House to demand investigations over.

August 1, 2013 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  16. Steveo

@Data Driven

Here's what I'm not learning in this piece:
    4). What's the crime rate for each state?

-----------–
    If your proposed standards where in place back in 1992, would we have had a President Clinton? Don't get me wrong, we should have some standards. The reason I used Clinton is he had some issues with women while governor and that carried over to DC! Education stats might have ruled him out too!

If your crime or education standards are used, would we have a President Obama? Or a potential H. Clinton presidency? I have no issues with standards just as long as they are realistic and equally applied!

August 1, 2013 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  17. anonymous

so who do the demorcats have in 2016? hillary clinton? the incompetent person responsible for the deaths of 4 americans in benghazi? or is it crazy joe biden? the senile gaff-o-matic that is telling people to buy and fire shot guns in the air?

can you say complete joke? yes, i knew you could. we'll have to wait and see who their leftist propaganda media decides to push onto the american people with a wave of lies.

August 1, 2013 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

Data Driven asked:

Here's what I'm not learning in this piece:
    4). What's the crime rate for each state?
    --------------
    1) Paul doesn't govern, he pontificates. Christie doesn't govern, either, he bullies, cheats and lies: i.e., he worked out a "compromise" on collective bargaining with the Democratically controlled legislature. Each said gave a little, and each side took a little. The legislature passed it, and Christie used his line item veto pen to delete all of his concessions. Oh, and New Jersey has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.
    2) What statistic do you have in mind? You can probably find it at one of the federal government's web sites.
    3) I think quality is relative, and varies by class. Judging from Christie's poll numbers, NJ'ers think yes, but most numbers say the exact opposite. I expect his opponent to bring up the boondoggle NJ had during his first year applying for "no child left behind funds". The "Big Apple" had cut $400 billion from the state's education budget, and gave out tax cuts.
    4) You can probably find those statistics at the federal government's Justice Department site.
    5) Paul is a neo-libertarian, he could go either way. I think he's pro-life. I don't recall Christie ever stating a position on abortion because it is simply not an issue. As far as most people, except for the hyper-right, are concerned, it's settled law.

August 1, 2013 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  19. tom l

@Sniffit,
    Ummm, if someone knows your cards in poker, it makes the game a lot easier. Clearly, Obama showed his cards and thought he could trust someone like Putin. You are weak in the art of negotiation when someone knows your hand. Period.

To demonstrate how little you know about the TEA Party, and libertarians in general, this is why they want to stay OUT of foreign interventions such as Libya, Egypt, Syria, increasing in Afghanistan before decreasing, Iraq, etc etc etc.

Now, as far as your very weak response yesterday to my "you're the problem" rant (:)) I want to thank you for proving my point. Not only did you deflect, you even went with the "yeah, but THEY do it so it's okay if I do it" line. Kinda sad that someone who has intelligence is so gullable and naive and buys into just what the politicians want rather than thinking for himself. I'm so sorry for calling you a democrat rather than a liberal because that gave you the opportunity for that lame response "I'm not a democrat". I think even rs, Dominican, Dutch, Lynda and Rudy had to laugh at that one. Yeah, you're not a democrat. Keep telling yourself that.

How about answering to the post rather than deflecting. Why are you so partisan if you're not a democrat? Why do you so obviously trust and believe democrats? Or am I wrong? So...do you really trust Obama and think he cares about you? Really?

And I have a 24 pound orange tabby with 7 digits on his front claws. He's the man. I can commiserate with you about the shedding. There are not enough lint brushes in the city of Atlanta to take care of that!

August 1, 2013 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  20. Thomas

1. Ron Paul is a wimp , all , look see show.
    2. Gov. Chris Christie would be useless at the federal level.
    3. if this is the GOP best and brightest , we have fallen to the political level of Italy or the Philippines.
    4. Kentucky is not a world power.
    5. Dietary sugary, balancing a budget are two different things.
    6. Carlos Dangers and Aqua Buddhas have no business being in Politics !

August 1, 2013 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. Sniffit

"we'll have to wait and see who their leftist propaganda media decides to push onto the american people with a wave of lies."

No we don't. The MSM already decided: Chris Christie.

August 1, 2013 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  22. Lynda/Minnesota

Rudy NYC
    Lynda wrote:

If it were my party, I would in all likelihood want to get a handle on what is happening politically within my party before I continued to support the dysfunction by overlooking that dysfunction as negative on the party itself ... let alone on the message its leadership is putting forth by continuing to display said dysfunction on a daily basis.
    ------
    The problem with Republicans is that McCain went to the center [after Bush he had no choice] in 2008, and they lost. They went hard to the right in 2010, and were rewarded with a landslide. Romney came along in 2012, who most on the right wing viewed as a moderate conservative, and they lost badly again. Conclusion. Hardline wins. Moderation loses.

As far as the right wing hardliners are concerned, they have a good argument as to which direction the party needs to go. they just haven't figured out that they lost the 2012 election because of their hard line policies at the state and local levels over the past two years, not because of Romney's reputation as a moderate conservative. They've completely forgotten about GWB's message from 2000, that of a "compassionate conservative." He lied about it, but that was the public face he wore.
    --------------–

Rudy, I agree with you. I was attempting to point out that we were ALL played by the Grand Old Party from 2009 – 2010. While Democrats were busy focusing on the hate being spewed, they lost focus to what was happening at the state level vis a vis the Tea Party Koch funded grassroots scheme of taking control locally. My own blue state of Minnesota fell for it and ended up voting for what I'll call the career politicians, who, prior to 2010 ran year after year, but were never elected. In 2010, they were elected in. And in 2012 were promptly elected back out. We would be right where Wisconsin is had we not elected Mark Dayton as governor along with the TeaPers.

Meanwhile, the Grand Old Party may have convinced a small majority that they perceive themselves as compassionate, it has since been born out just what a disaster their compassion has been not only for the very poor, but for the middle class as well.

Without the black man on the next presidential ballot, the GOP is going to have to try and float their "compassion" once again ... or lose. Perhaps not in 2014, but certainly in 2016. More folks are going to be willing to vote Democratic simply because Barack Obama will not be on the ballot.

I believe McCain, Boehner, and many others within the GOP see the handwriting on the wall. However, the TeaPers have tasted control and find they like it. Thus, we will still be fighting the hate until such time as either the media and/or the voters choose to finally call out the haters for what they are: bigots not fit to govern. IMHO I suspect the majority of Americans are absolutely sick to death of the constant hate.

Call me naive, but I do have faith in my fellow citizens.

August 1, 2013 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  23. Data Driven

@Steveo,

Fair points that apply to ALL politicians running for office. Bottom line, their actual job performance needs to covered by the media.

And, Rudy, I wonder if I was too oblique with my earlier post. Thanks for the info, by the way. Too bad CNN didn't provide such info. Of course we can all look up stats all day; but on news website we shouldn't have to so much. What does this article talk about? Who turned down who for beer. Who called who fat. This is the MSM's idea of political coverage.

Any wonder the nation is uninformed?

August 1, 2013 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  24. Lynda/Minnesota

"I think even rs, Dominican, Dutch, Lynda and Rudy had to laugh at that one. Yeah, you're not a democrat. Keep telling yourself that."

Hey, Tom l. You apparently have some sort of self induced spat centering on Sniffit. Be a big boy and deal with it on your own terms.

August 1, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  25. ThinkAgain

@tom l: "Ummm, if someone knows your cards in poker, it makes the game a lot easier. Clearly, Obama showed his cards and thought he could trust someone like Putin."

President Obama didn't show his hand to Putin; Obama showed Putin what he wanted him to see. Big difference. Period.

Regarding teatrolls and libertarians and their foreign policy views: I'm no fan of military interventions, but if we don't exercise some influence abroad, another country will fill the vacuum (e.g., Russia). We need to be smart about our foreign and military policies; the teatroll/libertarian desire to stick their heads in the sand is naive, to say the least.

August 1, 2013 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |