Lawyer: San Diego mayor never got harassment training, city may be liable
August 1st, 2013
12 months ago

Lawyer: San Diego mayor never got harassment training, city may be liable

(CNN) - A lawyer for San Diego Mayor Bob Filner criticized the city for not providing sexual harassment training to the mayor, saying its failure to do so violated the law.

In a letter to the city attorney, Harvey Berger wrote that Filner might never have been sued for sexual harassment had he been properly trained.

FULL STORY

Filed under: California
  1. Marie MD

Harassment training? Give me a break!!!
    This idiot needs harassment training? What kind of "legal" excuse is this.
    Please get rid of him and send him someplace where if he even looks at a woman sideways he will be punished and thrown in jail.

August 1, 2013 08:13 am at 8:13 am |
  2. Rudy NYC

Now it's denial. "It's the city's fault." I don't buy it. It's not the city's responsibility to teach you basic decency, respect, and manners, dude. That's totally on you. He'd be better off claiming mental illness of some kind.

This guy is a liability in more ways than one. The only reason that he hasn't resigned is so that he can get his legal bills paid by the City of San Diego. If he resigns, then there's no way that he get the city to pay his bills. Someone should ask him about that.

August 1, 2013 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  3. Fair is Fair

And the culture of victimization continues on, unabated.

August 1, 2013 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  4. Boo

Harrassment training?????!! Seriously????!!! This idiot has no respect for women. One either has respect or does not. This guy doesn't. DUH......

August 1, 2013 08:53 am at 8:53 am |
  5. 82ndABNVET

I think everyone knows you shouldnt tell a female co-worker to not wear a bra or anything else this guy did. Pretty much COMMON SENSE. Dont blame it on the city not giving you Sexual Harrasment training. Just man up. Join Wiener and all the others.

August 1, 2013 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  6. tom l

OMG. There's actual training on what is sexual harrassment? Thanks, libs. That makes sense.

August 1, 2013 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  7. Phyllis Gwendoline Williams

The greatest training for us all is Ecclesiastes 12: 13-14 "Fear God..keep His commandments..this is the whole duty
    of man..God shall bring 'good and evil' work into judgment". "Every one of us shall give account of himself to God"-
    (Romans 14: 12)

August 1, 2013 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

You have got to be kidding me.
    Did he also need common sense and decency training?
    How about conscience training? Hey how about distinguishing between right and wrong and sense of propriety training?
    What about potty training?
    gtfooh with that.

August 1, 2013 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  9. Marie MD

@tom I. As you can see from some of the posts not all libs agree with this idiot and his charges that he didn't know better.
    That being said, you have Sanford, vitrer, ensign, Craig and a host of others.

August 1, 2013 09:40 am at 9:40 am |
  10. lolo

Really now. I am quit sure this man knew right from wrong. It is not like he is a little boy, even though his behavior shows that he is. Give me a break. People wake up and vote these scam artist out of office please. They love living off of the government roll without lifting a finger.@Tom I yes there is and it is not a lib thing. You should get a lot of your republican patriots into the training class, lord knows they need it. Oh I forgot,t they are hiding behind their Christianity when they make mistakes and then they apologize and people like you vote them right back into office. Should I remind you of Sanford going out of the country for some sexual harrasement training?

August 1, 2013 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  11. Lynda/Minnesota

Fair is Fair: "And the culture of victimization continues on, unabated."

August 1, 2013 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Didn't he admit that he treated these women disrespectfully?
    So what is all this hogwash about him needing harrassment training?
    It seems to me that he knew quite well that he was out of line.
    This guy is looking to get over on the city.

August 1, 2013 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  13. Sniffit

"And the culture of victimization continues on, unabated."

That's pretty disgusting. have you even read the crap that he's pulled with these women? Employers should absolutely be responsible for assuring that their employees, particularly those in positions of power, are aware of the rules of conduct...ALL rules of conduct...even to the extent that some of this crap seems, to normal people like ourselves, to be a "no brainer." CLEARLY, based on the pervasive incidence of these kinds of thing all throughout every aspect of Amurikan working life, the repugnance of and liability created by these behaviors is NOT a "no brainer" for some people, particularly those in positions of power. If you're an employer who wants to be able to throw up their hands and say "c'mon, it's not our fault, he should've known better," then you better freekin make sure you did everything in your power to make sure he did. The 8 women who came forward about this slimeball's harassment of them are not just "playing the victim card"...they were actually victimized. No excuses for either him or for the City. Period. They should be jointly and severally liable...and let them rip each other apart trying to fight over who has to pay...but having 2 justifiably liable parties makes the victims more likely to get their due.

August 1, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  14. Fair is Fair

Lynda/Minnesota

"Uh-oh, Fair. I am still sipping my first cup of coffee of the morning and I'm already in full agreement with you !!!"
    -------–

August 1, 2013 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  15. Dixie

Is this person crazy? You were not born under a rock. Your parents should have told you how to behave. This behavior is so childish. This is no ones falt but his and he should be out of a job. If any other person that is employed did these things we would be unemployed really quickly. He doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.

August 1, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  16. Lynda/Minnesota

"You know, Lynda? Some things transcend political leanings... like dirtbags will be dirtbags. And I mean ALL of them, regardless of stripe. Speaks volumes about the electorate, does it not?"

All of the above ... absolutely.

August 1, 2013 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  17. Steveo

I guess common sense is not so common anymore. Why don't he just blame his parents for failing to properly instruct him. This grown man needs sexual harassment training? How about keep your hands to yourself. How about THINK before you speak! I don't get how he is "intelligent" enough to govern an entire city but this ignorant when it comes to sexual harrassment! This dude makes Weiner look saintly! At least Weiner fessed up. Sorry behind!

@Tom I,

Yes there really is sexual harassment training, I have been through it while in the military It is just COMMON SENSE stuff, like treat women like you want someone to treat your mother, sister, wife, or daughter! Simple!

August 1, 2013 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  18. Fair is Fair

"The 8 women who came forward about this slimeball's harassment of them are not just "playing the victim card"...they were actually victimized. No excuses for either him or for the City. Period. They should be jointly and severally liable...and let them rip each other apart trying to fight over who has to pay...but having 2 justifiably liable parties makes the victims more likely to get their due."
    -------

August 1, 2013 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  19. Steveo

@Sniffit
    -------
    I hope that I am not reading you wrong but in this case, the employers are the taxpayers of San Diego! I doubt the wanted a serial harrasser as a mayor. Are you saying the city should be held liable? Again, sorry if I misread you. I don't think the city should be liable.

August 1, 2013 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  20. Steveo

August 1, 2013 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  21. just sayin

too funny... a typical liberal democrat. the guy is 70 years old and has served in congress. he obviously didn't just crawl out from underneath a rock (though his actions may indicate otherwise). yes, he is now the victim of the city he serves since they didn't tell him that grabbing women's private parts or sticking your tongue down their throat is not appropriate behavior.

this is the pathetic and morally bankrupt state you end up in when you follow the liberal line of thinking and behavior. so now all of the decent law abiding citizens of san diego are going to pay the price for this liberal democrat whack job. only in america folks, only in america. the land of it is never my fault.

August 1, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  22. Steveo

@just sayin

-------------
    He is not a typical liberal, just like Vitter is not a typical conservative. This is ONE disgusting weasel! "D" or "R" has no bearing on this. My father is a Democrat, and he has NEVER exhibited this behavior, NEVER!

August 1, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  23. Data Driven

Tom expressed incredulity that there is sexual harassment training in civil service. Allow me to assure him that there is, and PRECISELY because of legal and financial liability. Prepare for more outrage, folks, because this defense just might work. Civil service enforces mandatory trainings as a CYA flanking maneuver, and like so many other zones in life, the ones on the top of the pyramid always find a way to eschew the rules.

And it will likely cost my town millions.

August 1, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  24. Venturer

Why should anyone require training by their employer about sexual harassment? Everyone should know how to treat others with respect. If he killed someone, would the city be liable because of lack of training on how to avoid murder?

August 1, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  25. Sniffit

"Get a clue, Counselor... I was referring to the dirtbag playing the victim card, not the women."

Duly noted. Criticism retracted. Your comment was vague tho.

"@Sniffit, disregard my remarks to you. I see where you do believe the city should be held liable. I still disagree."

Employers have a duty to provide a safe and healthy work environment for their employees. When the occurrence of this kind of crap is so pervasive and rampant throughout Amurikan businesses and other employment situations, it's negligent to pretend that "this is just common sense and I, the employer, had no duty to make the effort to train my employees, particularly the power-positions, not to engage in it." Moreover, many states have statutes mandating that the training take place, which raises the specter of whether the negligence is "per se." Don't get me wrong, guys like Filner are turds, but let's not lose site of the fact that employers have duties to their employees and shouldn't be allowed to simply write this kind of thing off as "he should've known better...guess he was raised wrong...oops, sorry we hired him." You hire 'em, you leash 'em. Period.

August 1, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |