After fortieth vote to gut Obamacare, lawmakers head home
August 2nd, 2013
12 months ago

After fortieth vote to gut Obamacare, lawmakers head home

(CNN) – As their final act before leaving for their August break, lawmakers in the House of Representatives voted Friday to disallow the Internal Revenue Service from implementing the Affordable Care Act – their fortieth attempt to repeal or gut the law known as Obamacare.

The measure sponsored by Rep. Tom Price of Georgia passed 232-185, though like all other attempts by the GOP-led House to end the health care law, it's expected to go nowhere in the Democrat-controlled Senate.

The IRS, to the chagrin of many Republicans already resentful of the tax agency, has been tasked with implementing many of Obamacare's key features, including the individual mandate to obtain health insurance. GOP skepticism of the Obamacare rollout was fueled by revelations the IRS was targeting conservative groups applying for tax exempt status for extra scrutiny.

"This is not an organization, the IRS, that the American people have any confidence or trust in at this point," Price said after Friday's vote. "That trust is going to have to be rebuilt. But until it is rebuilt, the last thing that we want is the Internal Revenue Service, the last thing the American people want, is the Internal Revenue Service being able to implement and enforce Obamacare, the Affordable Care Act."

Democrats have mocked Republicans attempts to repeal Obamacare as useless, given the balance of power in the Senate and the fact Obama himself still sits in the White House.

Speaking at a press conference Friday, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said her GOP colleagues would have trouble explaining themselves to voters during the August recess.

"How do you explain to the American people that today Congress will go into an August recess and after more than six months in this Congress, this Republican Congress, we still have no jobs bill, we have no budget bill and we have the threat of shutting down government and not raising the debt ceiling without repealing the Affordable Care Act," Pelosi said.

"This was a do-nothing Congress and now it has gone to something worse. It's an aimless Congress that is falling into chaos; it's a make-matters-worse Congress. We should not leave until we address the challenges that we face," she continued.

CNN's Deirdre Walsh and Kevin Liptak contributed to this report.

Filed under: Congress • Health care
  1. Fair is Fair

Aerin

Hands Off My ObamaCare!!!
    -----–
    Why? How much did you pay for it?

August 2, 2013 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  2. PJ

I'm with Boo. Lock the doors, these people aren't good enough to walk into these beautiful buildings, much less "work" in them.

August 2, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  3. Tony in Maine

When in the course of human events...

It's time folks – I want front row, center rocker. I'll bring my own knitting.

August 2, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  4. sonkarlay

They have heath care pay for by us but they want to repeal ours, they are going down come november

August 2, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  5. Randy, San Francisco

This is the worst Do Nothing Congress in our history. Thanks to obstructionist Republlicans and Tea Partiers the nation's pressing problmes will not be addressed. Speaker Boehner's legacy will always be known for his failed leadership with an unruly and undisciplined caucus.

August 2, 2013 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  6. gets/it

Obama is going to bankrupt the U.S.his policies are the same as the policies that made Detroit bankrupt.{ democratic leadership for fifty years you see where that got them. wake up.

August 2, 2013 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  7. DefinitionOfInsanity

Forty votes to repeal Obamacare may play well with the GOP base but to the rest of us it's just a terrible waste of time.

I predict that as Obamacare is rolled out in 2014 at least some of the wingnuts will realize that the world isn't coming to an end and having health insurance is actually a good thing. Business owners with less than 50 employees and who provide health insurance will get a tax break. The prescription drug costs for our family have already dropped due to the changes in insurance since the ACA passed. It will be glaringly apparent to all reasonable people that the GOP has been lying about the ACA and it will hurt them at the ballot box in Nov 2014.

August 2, 2013 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  8. Justjean

What in the world do they mean when they say we are entrusting the IRS with our healthcare? This is so nuts on so many levels they are hoping we can't keep up. First, the IRS is not in charge of healthcare under ACA. They are in charge of the mandate. That means, if someone opts out, they have to pay a PART of their fair share to help defray the public cost of deadbeats. That's it. The government has NO roll in the actual healthcare that your personal provider administers. It has no role in the private insurance plan you select, unless you decide to use the exchange [You don't have to.] IF you decide to use a state or federal insurance exchange, the fed involvement is only to assure you get a quality plan and are not overcharged. BRING IT ON! next thing you know the GOP will be all mad because no one told them how good it was.

August 2, 2013 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  9. rs

Perhaps, if Republicans hate the duly elected President of the United States, and the federal government of the United States of America as much as they claim, and as their actions (or inactions) demonstrate, they ought to rethink thier whole idea of what it means to be a political force, and to be leaders.
    For enemies, and problem states around the world, our nation faces many challenges. We don't need another one at home.
    Reform, GOP, or go away- you're not helping.

August 2, 2013 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  10. Dallas

Could someone tell me why we pay these people a salary? Don't they realize that Obamacare is the law of the land? Didn't they read the Supreme Court decision? Instead of spending time trying to help the American people, they waste their time with this foolishness. All these tea baggers have to be voted out next year if there is ever going to be any progress made in this country.

August 2, 2013 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  11. rs

Fair is Fair

Aerin

Hands Off My ObamaCare!!!
    -––
    Why? How much did you pay for it?
    _________________________
    I don't know how much they pay, but I pay for my health insurance and my future Medicare in every single paycheck. Anything that keeps those costs contained and provides better access is good for me, and its good for America. But, you haven't figured that out yet obviously.

August 2, 2013 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  12. Wake up People!

Thank you TEW!!!

August 2, 2013 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  13. fedup40*

The Dems always forget to mention that 32 jobs bills have been sent to the Senate from Congress only to have Harry Reid NOT even bring them to the floor for an up or down vote... That is why there are NO jobs bills.
    Same w/ the Obamacare law... Dems says the Reps don't have any other option: WRONG they have offered several bills to work w/ the Dems on a BETTER health care option but the Dems won't even look at the bills..
    In my opinion it is the Democratic Senate that is jaming up Washington Not the Congress.
    2014 VOTE REPUBLICAN TO GET THE SENATE AND KEEP THE HOUSE

August 2, 2013 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  14. Fair is Fair

rs

Fair is Fair

Aerin

Hands Off My ObamaCare!!!
    -––
    Why? How much did you pay for it?
    _________________________
    --------

August 2, 2013 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  15. fedup40*

Moderation to what... That is the truth and how I feel am I NOT allowed to tell my opinion unless it is what the Pres. wants..... I'm an American and I should be able to say what I think

August 2, 2013 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  16. Hawk in Texas

Every one should take their doctor bills and mail them to the republicans in the house. make them pay for our insurance being that they get theirs and their family's paid for by the tax payers, and they get theirs for life. what a bunch of sorry trash.

August 2, 2013 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  17. Sniffit

"Hmmmmm... if I was a business owner, would I hire past the Obamacare magic number? Nah... I'd just pay time and a half to my existing staff during the busy season. But hey... I'm not a business owner, nor do I blame those who are and are doing just that."

If you're a business owner...and I can see why you're not...you base your business size and production level decisions on the level of demand for your product. If you decide you're going to overwork your employees during the busy season, you lose employees, especially employees who are being overworked while you refuse to give them benefits. If you deliberately stay small despite plenty of demand to grow, just because you don't want to stick it to the employees and avoid giving them health insurance, you are a terrible businessperson and should lose your business. The ONLY reason it works in the case of businesses like WalMart is because they come in an put the rest of the small businesses in town out of business, which leaves people unemployed and without a choice but to take the tablescrap jobs that WalMart is offering....and yes, the studies show that there are MORE jobs in communities that rely on small businesses as opposed to giant box stores (among myriad other measurable, quantifiable differences showing that big box giant employers are a disaster for the communities they infest).

August 2, 2013 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  18. rs

Fair is Fair

rs

Fair is Fair

Aerin

Hands Off My ObamaCare!!!
    -––
    Why? How much did you pay for it?
    _________________________
    --–
    ----------
    Under ACA, medical costs and permiums have risen at the lowest level since 1980. It IS working. It works in Mass.

August 2, 2013 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  19. Marie MD

And stay away!

August 2, 2013 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  20. Romney is STILL NOT My Hero

If PROgress means to move forward, what does CONgress mean? It means that a bunch of angry old men will waste their time and the whole country's on a stupid "vote" that will be overturned – right before they go on another break. This is by far the most useless congress in history.

August 2, 2013 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  21. Sniffit

"And when you're paying lots and lots more for your health insurance and your future Medicare is a shell of what it once was, remamber whose idea it was to drain the swamp. Just stay tuned."

Too bad states that have made honest, good faith efforts to make it work are reporting success, eh? Meanwhile, states like FL deliberately try to undermine the implementation, doing things like repealing long-standing laws that allowed negotiation of insurance rates so that the insurers can try to milk the exchanges (which is precisely what FL did). In fact, the FL GOP/Teatrolls even went so far as to report that costs would be increasing, but have been forced to admit that their math was based on an imaginary, hypothetical health insurance plan that doesn't exist anywhere in FL and on excluding any consideration of the government subsidies that people will receive. Yeah, real honest, good faith effort to make it work (just in case it does) instead of deliberately trying to break it so you can manufacture an "I told you so."

August 2, 2013 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  22. Hooper

These atrocity committing skunks don't deserve a vacation. They need to get back to work, and do what's right for the masses, not just their small contingencies or special interest contributors.

August 2, 2013 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  23. emskadittle

the funny part will be when people in red states see, ObamaCare working in Blue states, they will finely get it. the republicans have failed them,

August 2, 2013 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  24. Marcuscassius

I think this is all a smokescreen to get more fascist laws passed. It gives corporations more time top rape us and get away without paying any taxes or decent wages. Time for a Holy Teardown. There needs to be a reckoning. There's a debt that was made by Republicans, that made Republicans rich and Republican owned businesses rich, and they handed the middle class the bill and said it was our fault. let them pay it back. They didn't spend it. They just offshored it and waited until we made the economy good enough for them to come back and rape us some more. TAX THEM....NOT US!

August 2, 2013 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  25. AZ Girl

What? They had nothing better to vote on? I'm going to give them a few hints:

Middle East unrest; North African unrest; global warming; rising gas and utility costs; undereducated children; growing homeless population; and unemployment, take your pick. ANYTHING but healthcare and pro-choice legislation might be a move forward.

August 2, 2013 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |