Weiner in video to supporters: I'm ready for tough questions
August 2nd, 2013
1 year ago

Weiner in video to supporters: I'm ready for tough questions

(CNN) – It may be the first fundraising pitch in political history to include the words, "I did lie to my wife."

But Anthony Weiner's latest bid to rally support for his New York City mayoral campaign makes the case the candidate is ready to take tough questions head on – a quality he argues is necessary to helm the nation's largest metropolis.

In the email solicitation, Weiner wrote to his supporters, "I have never ducked the tough questions. Sometimes when you're mayor, those are the only kind you get."

And he links to a video of a campaign stop on City Island in the Bronx, where an attendee peppered the candidate on why he didn't drop out of the race after admitting to sending lewd messages to a woman online as recently as last year.

"When do you say enough is enough?" the voter asked.

"Frankly I did lie to my wife about these things. I dishonored myself and I dishonored her," Weiner responded, noting there was things in his personal life "that have become very public."

"That's the price I pay for being a public official. I don't wish it on any of you. I don't wish any of you having everything about your background come back to haunt you," he continued.

But he argued his willingness to remain in the race – painted by some as a delusional selfishness – was instead an indication of his durability, a trait essential for mayors.

"Do you think I just said, OK let's go to City Island, let's talk to these good people, see 50 cameras, knowing I'd get this question?" Weiner asked. "The reason I did that is because I'm trying to communicate something here. I'm trying to say yes. You know some things about me, more than any other candidate you know, maybe in your whole life. Maybe way more than you want. Certainly more than I want. But it doesn't change the fundamentals of democracy."

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. Lynda/Minnesota

"Weiner in video to supporters: I'm ready for tough questions."

Reply from Minnesota: I'm ready to tune out.

I realize choosing a Mayor is a big deal for New York. That being said, Weiner is making a mockery of New York, and I suspect, the Democratic party as a whole. Much in the same manner Michele Bachmann has made a mockery of Minnesota and the Republican party as a whole.

August 2, 2013 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda/Minnesota

"Weiner in video to supporters: I'm ready for tough questions."

Reply from Minnesota: I'm ready to tune out
    -------------------------------------------------

August 2, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  3. Rick McDaniel

He needs to be ready to LOSE this election.

August 2, 2013 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  4. Carly

Right on Lynda! Being from MN myself I know all about the embarrassment Bachmann caused for our state. She finally decided to quit while she is ahead instead of risking a huge loss. Hopefully Weiner will show some wisdom too and will drop out of the race. I did like Bachmann's idea of screening politicians for their patriotism though, something that would have eliminated her much sooner.

August 2, 2013 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  5. Rudy NYC

Answer this, Anthony. Most people consider your running for an office that is higher and more prestigious than the one that you resigned as boldly arrogant? They see it as you picking up where you left off, as if nothing had ever happened. They feel that you need to work your way back up the political ladder, instead of going to the head of the class. Do you agree, or disagree, with their perspective?

August 2, 2013 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  6. Romney is STILL NOT My Hero

As much as I like weiners *wink* – this weiner needs to go! I am tired of his "oops – I didn't mean to do that" junk. He needs to get out of the spotlight and let someone else take his place.

August 2, 2013 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama:

"Reply from Here's My Two-Cents Worth: We're ready for you to bow out...ungracefully."

A stumble is a stumble is a stumble ... yes? Boy, oh, boy. Did this dude stumble big time, or what?

Carly

"She finally decided to quit while she is ahead instead of risking a huge loss."

Did she ever!! The good news is now when we travel "up north" during the fall months, we will no longer have to spend the first 50 miles seeing her campaign signs plastered on corners, on fences, on farm barns ... well, you understand. Not that the first 50 miles are all that scenic to begin with, but nevertheless it WILL be a scenic improvement of sorts.

August 2, 2013 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  8. Data Driven

This whole thing is so fraught with angst-fueled drama. One wonders why he's bothering. Maybe he wants to be on a "reality" show? Actually, I think he IS on one ...

August 2, 2013 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  9. Boo

I have never seen such arrogance in my life as I've seen from this guy. All I know is I live in NYC and I WILL NOT BE VOTING FOR THIS PERSON.

August 2, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  10. ST

I really like this "Dude – Weiner". In my life time he is the only person I have seen being defiant and make the media bow out. The media gave themselves the power to dictate how things should be/go. You do not have that power. Your role is to report and not to go as far as to decide (some wrote Weiner must get out of the race). That was wrong. Let people decide themselves.

August 2, 2013 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  11. Fred Finegold

weiner needs to drop out.

August 2, 2013 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  12. Wake up People!

Dear Anthony,

Please go away!

I'm sure you've never seen the movie Harlem Nights with Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy and Redd Foxx, but this line reminds me of you.

Just because your name is H&ro!n, doesn't mean you have to sell it. The same goes for you, just because your name is Weiner doesn't mean you have to show it to everybody.

August 2, 2013 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  13. Ken Laurent

So Weiner is ready for hard questions. I wish I was a comedian, this stuff practically writes itself!

August 2, 2013 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  14. Jean Pierre Katz

Why do you insist on continuing your run when it is so unlikely you will win? Why are you willing to sacrifice Hillary and make a Republican our next President for your ego?

August 2, 2013 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  15. Steveo

Here's a toughy! Why should New Yorkers trust you with their well when you have proven you could not be trusted with the well being of your own family? I believe in second chances but I also believe in spending time to recover and making it right with the family! As Rudy keeps saying (my paraphrase), it is way too early for this guy to run for anything! Yet he keeps insisting this is NOT about him! Arrogance!

August 2, 2013 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. anonymous

This clown is a masochistic narcisist. I simply cannot believe that this fool woul dput his poor wife through this humiliation all for nothing because he will not win. Please NYC.... send this loser packing for good. He belongs in treatment, not the mayors office. Or are you looking for the same fiasco they now have in San Diego?

August 2, 2013 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

"Don't Panic" Don't worry about Weiner getting elected, despite his polling in the double digits. The polls are misleading. Most of the polls are polling "likely Democratic primary voters"., which means they are primarily polling Democrats who have voted in past primaries. Primary voters tend to be the most loyal to the party, and extreme in their views.

Such polls are not giving the big picture about how most New Yorkers feel about Mr. Weiner.

August 2, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  18. The REAL Truth...

@anonymous – Or are you looking for the same fiasco they now have in San Diego?
    -------------------------------
    I was thinking it would be more like the one in SC where the former Gov – who had to quit due to being a proven liar, thief and adulterer – was re-elected by the lemmings from the "family values" party. Imagine how his wife feels ??
    What's good for the goose, eh?

August 2, 2013 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  19. VOTE is your Right

I ahve to admit, after hearing his plan and ideas I will VOTE for him.

If you can tell me a candidate that is perfect and never done anything wrong, please show them to me.

Yes, what he did wa snot right, but is between him and his family. He has apologize and had taken heat from the media and voters, I believe he deserve a second chance.

We give criminals a second chance, and they commited worsth crimes that he has.

People, we need to move on and learn to forgive. He has the right ideas and skin to get the job done.

I support Weiner for Mayor!

August 2, 2013 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |