August 5th, 2013
1 year ago

Chelsea Clinton still open to running for office

Updated 7:16 a.m. ET, 8/6

(CNN) – As Chelsea Clinton continues to emerge as a public advocate for children and women, she's still not ruling out a future run for office.

The daughter of former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Chelsea told CNN's Nima Elbagir in Rwanda that following in her parents' footsteps was still an option.

"I'm grateful to live in a city and a state and a country where I really believe in my elected officials, and their ethos and their competencies," Clinton said. "Someday, if either of those weren't true, and I thought I could make more of a difference in the public sector, or if I didn't like how my city or state or country were being run, I'd have to ask and answer that question."

Clinton spoke to CNN in the middle of a nine-day, six-stop African trip to do work for The Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation, alongside her father. The trip began in Malawi, and will include stops in Zambia, Tanzania, Zanzibar and South Africa.

Her response to questions about her political future hasn't changed much from April, when she told NBC she was "grateful to live in a city, in a state and a country where I strongly support my mayor, my governor, my president, my senators and my representative."

She similarly said if any of that changed, "I'd have to ask and answer that question."

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Chelsea Clinton
  1. Anonymous

she should do well deceiving the simple minded uninformed voters she has been trained by her parents who are experts at deception

August 5, 2013 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  2. The Real Tom Paine

-Donna

So are we now trading the Kennedy dynasty for the Clinton Dynasty? Of course, she'll have all of the same high dollar backers as her parents. The wheels will already be pre-greased with millions of dollars from people that have gotten many millions in return from knowing the Clinton's.

And then we will all complain about the money in politics as we vote these people in and encourage it. We are stupid sheeple being led by the nose by professional politicians that could really care less about us.
    ************
    And if the subject of the article were a Bush, you would be praising the family for their "service". Honestly, you are so transparent.

August 5, 2013 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  3. Lynda/Minnesota

"End of story."

Oh ... is was there a story here to begin with?

August 5, 2013 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  4. PJ

"City council? She's already a member of the Texas state house".
    Uh, aren't we talking about Chelsea here?

August 5, 2013 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Steveo
    Okay Steveo. I will accept that you were NOT AT ALL CLEAR in expressing yourself. Since President Obama fit BOTH #1 and #3 it was just odd that you would not recognize/mention that.
    We're human.