August 5th, 2013
1 year ago

Chelsea Clinton still open to running for office

Updated 7:16 a.m. ET, 8/6

(CNN) – As Chelsea Clinton continues to emerge as a public advocate for children and women, she's still not ruling out a future run for office.

The daughter of former President Bill Clinton and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Chelsea told CNN's Nima Elbagir in Rwanda that following in her parents' footsteps was still an option.

"I'm grateful to live in a city and a state and a country where I really believe in my elected officials, and their ethos and their competencies," Clinton said. "Someday, if either of those weren't true, and I thought I could make more of a difference in the public sector, or if I didn't like how my city or state or country were being run, I'd have to ask and answer that question."

Clinton spoke to CNN in the middle of a nine-day, six-stop African trip to do work for The Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation, alongside her father. The trip began in Malawi, and will include stops in Zambia, Tanzania, Zanzibar and South Africa.

Her response to questions about her political future hasn't changed much from April, when she told NBC she was "grateful to live in a city, in a state and a country where I strongly support my mayor, my governor, my president, my senators and my representative."

She similarly said if any of that changed, "I'd have to ask and answer that question."

Filed under: Bill Clinton • Chelsea Clinton
  1. Gurgyl

Now it is her mom's turn–do not dig her into this filthy politics. She has bright future.

August 5, 2013 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  2. Wake up People!

Red meat......num, num, num!!

August 5, 2013 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  3. Sniffit

How about this: she can do something to contribute to society and start running for office and THEN you start talking about and reporting on her running for office. Until then, cut the crap with the hereditary political clout. She has none of her own. Period.

August 5, 2013 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  4. Steveo

Her right but why? Her last name? For some, that last name would be enough.

August 5, 2013 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. The Real Tom Paine

-Rick McDaniel

The reason CA is broke........is they have catered to illegals for decades........with the Dems there, using hand outs to illegals to keep them voting Dem.......and keeping power in CA entirely in the hands of Dems.

It is corruption personified.......and no one in the Republican Party should be promoting legalization of illegals..........not in ANY way.
    ***************
    California is on its way to having a budget surplus due to its Democratic Governor and legislature. As far as corruption personified, that's a hell of a statement coming from the man who cheered when a loon desecrated the Lincoln Memorial and then proceeded to blame Lincoln for 625,000 deaths in the war. Clearly if you can't keep basic facts of American history straight, you are not capable of an analysis of fiscal policy. California got into the mess it did by cutting property taxes multiple times, leaving a heavier burden on local governments. In spite of these problems, CA continued to prop up taker states like GA, SC, AK, etc. Those tax-cutting policies were the brainchild of Orange County conservatives, who saw their infrastructure deteriorate while they comforted themselves with more tax cuts that hurt the middle and working class. Every time the Rightie tax cut mania hits, debt explodes along with everything else, except real middle-class jobs. It happened over decades, and the Righties cut themselves out of any real political power. Illegals have not been the problem, the idea of not paying for services while running them into the ground, is the problem. Its always been the problem, and the Right will never admit that is their true legacy to this country.

August 5, 2013 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  6. kirk

Hey if the bushes can do it

August 5, 2013 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  7. Rick McDaniel

They ALL want to be on the public salary.

Makes you wonder WHY, now doesn't it???????

August 5, 2013 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  8. Winston Smith

Why would this talented, gifted individual want to be in public office. Many of you know this to be a fact, that there's no helping many people, and if you do help them, they resent you for it. This nation (anymore), doesn't deserve good leadership. You deserve republicans.

August 5, 2013 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  9. Steveo

Dominican mama 4 Obama

steveo
    Problem is, if Cruz gets by on #3, the Birthers (I am NOT one nor did I ever agree with them, FYI) are going to look more foolish than ever, if that is possible
    -----------------
    And yet you list Obama in your #3 prerequisite NOT #1, that being that he was born within national borders as you put it.
    So if you're NOT a Birther steveo what are you guys Birthers calling yourselves these days?
    -------------–
    DM4O, all I was trying to say is regardless of Obama's or Cruz's father, they were BOTH born of American mothers. That was the connection I was trying to make. I was not clear. I apologize.

August 5, 2013 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  10. Steve, New York City

Rick McDaniel – I agree with you. You are on to something!
    The side money that politicians get from lobbyists must be absolutely eye-popping.

August 5, 2013 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  11. Steveo

@Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Steveo
    3. One simply born to an America citizen...PERIOD! (Obama/Cruz)?
    -----------------
    Actually steveo, President Obama was born within national borders. He fits your #1 prerequisite, AS WELL AS #3.
    I never caught on to the fact that you were/are a Birther.
    What a pity.
    ----------
    DM4O you, yourself said he fits in #3 too. Yet no one beiieves you are saying he was born outside of the US. But you believe that is what I'm saying? IF I had a history of spouting birther nonsense , I'd fully expect your reply! I don't have that history. Perhaps that explains why you "never caught on". I am NOT a birther! I do take responsibility for not being clear BUT you also said the president fits in category #3 as well.

August 5, 2013 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  12. Borderless

No, Chelsea. We have already experienced 4 and a half years of a grossly under-qualified elected official.

August 5, 2013 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  13. Wake up People!

But there's a difference Steveo. President Obama was born on American soil, Cruz wasn't. I think that's the point DM4O was trying to make.

August 5, 2013 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  14. just sayin

because the only qualification we have for running for public office is name recognition? it is pretty pathetic that we have turned some of our highest elected offices into a sort of family run business for some people. political nepotism, no real qualifications, no real accomplishments, no real ideas, just the right name. and we wonder why we're in deep doo doo?

August 5, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. Rudy NYC

1. One born within national borders (most of us)?
    2. One born while a parent or parents are assigned to embassy or military duties outside of national borders (McCain)?
    3. One simply born to an America citizen...PERIOD! (Obama/Cruz)?
    --------------------
    John McCain fills the bill for scenario #2. I recall the issue coming up in 2008 because McCain was born in Panama. The response had been that McCain was born in a military base hospital, which is technically U.S. territory. They had argued that had McCain been born in a local Panamanian hospital, then he would not have been eligible to be POTUS. Please note that the latter is exactly the situation in which Mr. Cruz finds himself. He was born in another country's local hospital.

August 5, 2013 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  16. kirk

Winston. Smh
    The gop is a sad bunch.so many fools don't realise that they want to destroy your standard of living
    Make you a min wage slave.where is the jobs? Why can't people understand what they truly stand for

August 5, 2013 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

------------------
    They call themselves Libertarians, and that would be the Ron Paul extremely madeover version of it, neo-libertarianism. And, no, the Cruz brith scenario is not equivalent to the Obama birth scenario. We all know the false equivalence argument is coming, "It was okay for Obama, so why not Cruz." Get ready for it.

August 5, 2013 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  18. Mike McGuire

How about as it's no longer the 20th century, we move beyond Bushes and Clintons and all their assorted friends and hangers-on?

August 5, 2013 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  19. The Real Tom Paine

-Steve, New York City

Rick McDaniel – I agree with you. You are on to something!
    *******************
    Steve, he also believes Lincoln started the Civil War. I suggest you use that to see whom you were praising.

August 5, 2013 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  20. S.B. Stein

The question is what would she run for first... I would think that she would go for something small like a member of the city council or something equally small to build up a record.

August 5, 2013 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  21. Donna

So are we now trading the Kennedy dynasty for the Clinton Dynasty? Of course, she'll have all of the same high dollar backers as her parents. The wheels will already be pre-greased with millions of dollars from people that have gotten many millions in return from knowing the Clinton's.

And then we will all complain about the money in politics as we vote these people in and encourage it. We are stupid sheeple being led by the nose by professional politicians that could really care less about us.

August 5, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

S.B. Stein

---------–
    City council? She's already a member of the Texas state house.

August 5, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  23. Steveo

Rudy NYC

------
    ----------
    Exactly who is "they". I have not called myself a libertarian, a Liberian, or librarian. I said I lean right. I also said i vote issues. Rudy, you are the ONLY here who tries to box me into what you think I am. Btw, I never voted for Paul, NEVER! I have however, voted for Clinton and I voted for Bush 43! Exactly how "libertarian is that? To me, a good idea is a good idea no matter who authors it! Label me and box me in if you wish! You'd be wrong!

August 5, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  24. stating the obvious

Allow me to list the sum total of her qualifications and accomplishmentsto date:

1. She was born a Clinton.

End of story.

August 5, 2013 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  25. Steveo

Rudy NYC

S.B. Stein

---–
    City council? She's already a member of the Texas state house.
    --------
    You talking about Wendy Davis?

August 5, 2013 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |