August 7th, 2013
8 months ago

In heated exchange, Weiner takes on rival

(CNN) – New York City mayoral hopeful Anthony Weiner sought to downplay an altercation he had Tuesday with a campaign rival that ended with the former congressman taking a swipe at his opponent's age.

In a sharp exchange with Republican George McDonald at a town hall forum hosted by AARP, Weiner called the founder of the nonprofit Doe Fund "grandpa."

"I don't know him very well," Weiner said on WWRL, a radio station in New York. "He's a bit of a fringe candidate on the campaign trail. But he talks about his granddaughter in every answer to questions on the campaign trail, so I was making a reference to that."

The argument, which started when Weiner greeted McDonald by patting him on the chest, was caught on camera by CNN affiliate NY1.

"Don't put your hands on me ever again," McDonald said.

"What's going to happen if I do? Tough guy now?" Weiner replied.

"Yeah. Yeah I am," McDonald said, as he stepped closer to Weiner.

Weiner then made a swipe about McDonald having anger issues.

"I don't have any anger issues," the Republican said.

"But you do, grandpa," Weiner said.

McDonald has been no fan of Weiner; his Twitter page is lit up with negative articles about Weiner and has been highly critical of the Democrat on the campaign trail. Last week, he reportedly referred to Weiner as a "self-pleasuring freak" at a campaign event in Queens.

Weiner, seemingly unfazed by Tuesday's exchange, said Wednesday the AARP event "was a great debate on senior issues, where Mr. McDonald was roundly booed and I was roundly cheered."

"So it was very nice to be there," he said.

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. RealVoiceOfReason

If they guy is a Grandfather then what's all the hub bub bub? We can only hope his opponents will focus as much attention on the job as they do on Wieners personal life. If that is all they have and can focus on, then NY is in for a terrible next couple of years. "How are you going to handle a garbage worker strike?" "I will re-direct everyone attention to Mr. Weiner and let things work themselves out."

August 7, 2013 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  2. Data Driven

Me think if people have point to make, they should write plain English. No adverbs and articles not cute.

August 7, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  3. Thomas

Weiner needs help , professional psychiatric help !

August 7, 2013 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  4. ST

Folks, understand that Weiner will not be elected to deal with personal matters, he will be elected to deal with public matters. I wish all of you who are against Weiner, could understand what personal mischiefs all elected official are dealing with. They are lucky you don't know.

August 7, 2013 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  5. Klaus

NYC for Wiener
    That would be so funny to have Wiener as Mayor. He appears so credible in all he is doing these days .... lol ...
    actually Wiener for President!!!!! we need guy's like him
    Bush to Obama to Wiener ... one clown after the other .....

August 7, 2013 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  6. Randy

Weiner is not a nice man. In fact, he is rather a bad guy. I knew him when he was a city councilman and trust me he was a huge jerk!! Apparently he has only grown more arrogant and obnoxious. What sickens me about all of this are the comments from fellow Dems defending this guy. Party alliance is all well and good, but try to please hold our politicians accountable even when they are “on our side”. This is all just another prime example of how blind party allegiance (both Repub and Dem) is destroying our nation.

August 7, 2013 11:12 am at 11:12 am |