August 7th, 2013
1 year ago

In heated exchange, Weiner takes on rival

(CNN) – New York City mayoral hopeful Anthony Weiner sought to downplay an altercation he had Tuesday with a campaign rival that ended with the former congressman taking a swipe at his opponent's age.

In a sharp exchange with Republican George McDonald at a town hall forum hosted by AARP, Weiner called the founder of the nonprofit Doe Fund "grandpa."

"I don't know him very well," Weiner said on WWRL, a radio station in New York. "He's a bit of a fringe candidate on the campaign trail. But he talks about his granddaughter in every answer to questions on the campaign trail, so I was making a reference to that."

The argument, which started when Weiner greeted McDonald by patting him on the chest, was caught on camera by CNN affiliate NY1.

"Don't put your hands on me ever again," McDonald said.

"What's going to happen if I do? Tough guy now?" Weiner replied.

"Yeah. Yeah I am," McDonald said, as he stepped closer to Weiner.

Weiner then made a swipe about McDonald having anger issues.

"I don't have any anger issues," the Republican said.

"But you do, grandpa," Weiner said.

McDonald has been no fan of Weiner; his Twitter page is lit up with negative articles about Weiner and has been highly critical of the Democrat on the campaign trail. Last week, he reportedly referred to Weiner as a "self-pleasuring freak" at a campaign event in Queens.

Weiner, seemingly unfazed by Tuesday's exchange, said Wednesday the AARP event "was a great debate on senior issues, where Mr. McDonald was roundly booed and I was roundly cheered."

"So it was very nice to be there," he said.

Filed under: Anthony Weiner • New York
  1. TimM

Wow, if Weiner didn't have enough problems, he starts poking at someone's age at an event sponsored by AARP...I wouldn't want him touching me either...no anger problems, just don't want him touching me.

August 7, 2013 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  2. Borderless

Woah! Woah! Woah! No one wants to see an angry Weiner!

August 7, 2013 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

McDonald made himself look like a fool by simply talking to Weiner. Weiner is fourth in primary polling. Why pay any attention to him? Why build Weiner up? If McDonald thought that he could put his own name into the news cycle, then he succeeded miserably.

August 7, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  4. LightenUp

Still not sure what "I can win" drug Weiner is on, because... it will be totally insane if he's elected.

August 7, 2013 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  5. Data Driven

Look at Weiner, getting all up in that old man's grill. Now THAT'S what I call "Politics"!

Pistolas at dawn, Grandpa!

August 7, 2013 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  6. Boo

Weiner is unfazed by everything. He's so arrogant and annoying. He's a narcissist.

August 7, 2013 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  7. Sniffit

Gotta love conservative belligerence. Have no doubt: They're going to get violent before they figure out that they have no choice but to accept what the inevitable demographic changes in this country mean for their party, their power and their control.

August 7, 2013 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  8. jed

Should have punched the perve he would have gotten votes for it.

August 7, 2013 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  9. efdfbdfbqdb

Politi-clown show, eaten up by the media and viewers like you. And me.

August 7, 2013 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  10. Rudy NYC

This entire exchange was instigated by McDonald, folks. McDonald is the Republican candidate for mayor. He's been almost completely ignored by the media because of its' focus on Weiner and the Democratic mayoral primary that's coming up.

August 7, 2013 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  11. Near GrandPa

Yes, Weiner wants us to Sniff-it. I wouldn't want his hands on me either, where have they been? What changing demographic, a Democrat that feels showing his junk to other women...he's not married to...is appropriate? Or the Democrat demographic that beleives men can treat women like dirt, especially if they are married to them.

August 7, 2013 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  12. NorCalMojo

The gift that keeps on giving.

I hope he gets elected. He's the perfect candidate for NYC. We can rename it DBC.

August 7, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  13. Pat in IL

Every time Weiner opens his ugly mouth, he proves again what a complete idiot he is. Whoever is mayor should have better control over what comes out of his mouth.

August 7, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  14. libertyadamson

But, but, but McDonald doesn't serve Weiners. Neither should NYC!

August 7, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  15. Harry Reid

I can't believe his name is Weiner!

August 7, 2013 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  16. libertyadamson

Well, well, well. So McDonald is serving Weiners. Weiner is like that annoying kid in middle school that is so convinced by their parents that they are genius, they run for class president–and get zero votes and don't understand why.

August 7, 2013 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  17. pointless1

Weiner, just give it up already... you're just wasting your time.

August 7, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  18. A True Conservative

Mr Weiner – you are unfit to hold public office......I know your mother told you that you're wonderful....and you have a room full of trophy's for showing up......but....you are unfit. Stop before you make an even bigger fool of yourself....as if that is possible....

August 7, 2013 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  19. Gunderson

Me think Wenier Tip of Iceberg, Democrat Party. All fun and games, no? Old Weiner full of himself. Now there is a Politican. We haven't seen since Harry Truman! Aw, go vote Weiner! Your kind guy.

August 7, 2013 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  20. ritmocojo

Doesn't NYC hold a weiner-eating contest every year? How was this one left out? He's a roasted weiner now.

August 7, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  21. Sniffit

"Or the Democrat demographic that beleives men can treat women like dirt, especially if they are married to them."

How silly. I don't spend my time pretending that Sanford, Vitter, Ensign, Craig and others are evidence that lecherous behavior is solely the purview of the GOP...why do you pretend it's solely the purview of the Dems? I could go on an on making jokes about public bathroom diaper-liaisons with Argentinian wh-res in Appalachia, all arranged via text messages from the Senate floor, but I don't. The only difference is that the people in the GOP/Teatrolls who get caught doing this crap are the same ones who preached from their puerile political pulpits about "family values" and demand that their religious views on sex and marriage be written into the country's laws. At least Weiner wasn't that kind of hypocrite.

August 7, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  22. 1twinsfan

McDonald sure got a rise out of that Weiner.

August 7, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  23. Sniffit

Nah...maybe the demographic that enjoys diaper-liaisons with male Argentinian wh-res in Appalachian public bathrooms, all arranged via text messages from the Senate floor through a madame in DC? Hmmm...I think I probably just landed a jab on 5 GOPers right there. It's not isolated to party, champ....but at least Weiner isn't a "family values" hypocrite who demands that his religious beliefs be written into our laws, all while violating every single one of them himself in private.

August 7, 2013 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  24. Pw1

Pls...It's not about moral stuff!! What if he didn't say anything then he would be unable to rep! The old Man thought/knew his age can be used against Weiner knowing ppl surrounding them w/ phones that could easily record.It was stunt on his (Grandpa) part so take all that will come w/ it.I DON'T FEEL Weiner did anything wrong here!

August 7, 2013 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  25. scotty501

Weiner seems so antagonistic. Seems to thrive on conflict, yelling anger etc.my opinion

August 7, 2013 10:47 am at 10:47 am |