After heart procedure, Bush gets call from Obama
August 8th, 2013
1 year ago

After heart procedure, Bush gets call from Obama

(CNN) – President Barack Obama called his predecessor George W. Bush Wednesday to extend good wishes after the former president underwent a procedure to put a stent in an artery of his heart.

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Thursday that Obama was "glad to hear the procedure went well and former President Bush is recovering."

On Wednesday, Bush returned home from the hospital after undergoing the stent procedure Tuesday morning.

Former President Bill Clinton, who has had heart issues in the past, also reached out to Bush.

Filed under: George W. Bush • President Obama
  1. joe

president obama is a class act all the way.

August 8, 2013 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

Steveo forgot that he asked:

Let me help you out Fair! I am a minority and I agree with you! I do realize I don't get vote but his history of selecting a black man should not be enough! How about POLICY?

"Sorry! Nothing about Civil Rights there! This is what I responded to!"
    ----------
    See? You asked what was Spitzer's POLICY? See it? That's what I responded to.

You do this a lot, too much, in fact.
    You ask a question, forget that you even asked it, and then argue against your asking original question.

August 8, 2013 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. Jeff in Virginia

It's sad how cynical some people can be in these comments, myself included.

This is a welcomed change of tone of which everybody should be proud.

August 8, 2013 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  4. rs

This ought to be simple.The current President wished the previous President well. No politics.

August 8, 2013 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  5. ProudDem

Wow, the guy could say good morning and people would be on here calling him the devil.

August 8, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  6. just asking

The Real Tom Paine
    -just asking
    did obama also thank bush for all of the bush policies he is continuing, even after criticizing them endlessly? did obama apologize to bush for blaming him for everything under the sun, even things the democrats did, like tank the economy with their homes for those that can't afford them program?

i'm sure bush wasn't mean enough to ask obama how shutting down gitmo was going.... or why obama is calling ft. hood 'workplace violence' when the muslim radical that did it is admitting he is a jihadi??
    ********************
    I sincerely hope you are unmarried and without children. Its amazing to watch a person who fits the legal definition of an adult blaming everyone and everything for damages both real and perceived 24×7. I shudder to think the various types of psychological damage and abuse a person who thinks they have the unvarnished truth stright from God's lips could inflict on another human being, especially a child. All he did was wish him well. Lighten up

August 8, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  7. Steveo

@Rudy NYC

Steveo forgot that he asked:

"Sorry! Nothing about Civil Rights there! This is what I responded to!"
    ----
    See? You asked what was Spitzer's POLICY? See it? That's what I responded to.

You do this a lot, too much, in fact.
    ----------
    You don't seem to get it. What should voters pay more attention to? The selection of a minority running mate or the POLICY of the candidate? btw, I haven't forgotten what I asked!

August 8, 2013 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  8. Rudy NYC

Steveo wrote:

You said blacks will remember him for selecting a black running mate. I said that is not enough to vote for somebody. Funny how YOU failed to bring up his Civil Rights record until just now. Kinda hard for me to respond to something that was not brought up.
    ------------
    You're obviously lacking when it comes to NYC politics. Why was Spitzer choosing Paterson significant?

Because almost all of the prominent minority leaders in NYC threw their support behind him. People like, first and foremost, former mayor David Dinkins, on whose staff Paterson had once served. !00 Black Officers and 100 Latino Officers, both of which are groups of active law enforcement officers that strive to smooth relations between the police and the communities. I would go on, but I hope you get the idea. Paterson had been State Senate Minority Leader for a few years when he was chosen. It was an historic moment, dude. A minority was on the top of the Democratic ticket. ..... Silence.

August 8, 2013 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  9. he hippies were right

Hey Just asking, what grade are you in again?

August 8, 2013 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  10. Steveo

@Rudy NYC

Steveo

I don't just CLAIM to be from Brooklyn, I AM from Brooklymn and what does that have to do with anything? I did not question Spitzer's support of Civil Rights. The Kennedy's supported Civil Rights but what black man did they select as a running mate?
    ----–
    You wanted to know what does Spitzer stand for. What are his policies? Civil rights. Anyone from NYC would know Spitzer's reputation. I will give you benefit of the doubt and assume that you left Brooklyn as very young child, and was later raised in a different place, far, far away from NYC
    --------–
    You assume incorrectly. I left at age 16! That would still make me "RAISED" in Brooklyn! However, I grant that you would have not know that because I never mentioned it!

August 8, 2013 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  11. Donna

Bush is a very forgiving man for accepting a call from a guy that has never failed to blame him or take a swipe at him for everything under the sun, even after nearly 5 years in office. Bush is a real man. Obama is an empty suit that wants to be President because of the celebrity aspect of it. His work ethic and the abysmal after nearly 5 years prove this and another 3 years of this pathetic performance will guarantee his position as the worse President in our history.

August 8, 2013 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  12. Randy, San Francisco

Maybe the extreme elements of politics, far left and right, can learn about civility and graciousness from President Obama and former President Bush.

August 8, 2013 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  13. sheppard

'did the democrats lighten up on bush during his eight years or even now, 5 years later? no, not one bit. expect obama to get the very same treatment. you reap what you sow lefties. take it like the girls you are.'
    ****************************************************************************************************************

That has to be the whiniest, jr high girlie (and hypocritical) post on this thread. and that's saying a lot. You're obviously too dumb to even know it – LOL Whine on

August 8, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  14. Sniffit

"take it like the girls you are"

Way to work in the misogyny, champ.

August 8, 2013 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  15. Rudy NYC

just asking wrote:

----------------
    Gee, just a few posts ago you pointed out several major occasions when Democrats voted *with* Pres. Bush. Have you forgotten that you pointed out that Democrats cooperated Bush? "Our number one priority should be ......" And now you suggest the exact *opposite* occurred.

Let me let you in on a secret. When people cannot remember what they say from one moment to the next, that is usually an obvious sign that they are making stuff up as they go along, which is a polite way of saying that they're lying.

August 8, 2013 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  16. The Real Tom Paine

-just asking

The Real Tom Paine
    -just asking

********************

***********************************
    Its the nature of the job to be a target, but there have to be limits, limits that the Right has never tried to observe with this president. You talk about "take it like the girls you are" ( which only proves my point about the abusive nature of your posts), yet you never decide to change the tone of the conversation. Did Bush take some rough shots? Yes, he did, and he took them like a man, unlike you. All Obama did was observe a simple act of civility towards his predecessor, an concept you still cannot grasp, and instead you pervert it into another opportunity to perform for your own gratification. All you are doing is diminishing yourself because you despise an act of civility from one person to another.

August 8, 2013 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |