Date night for the first couple
August 8th, 2013
9 months ago

Date night for the first couple

Washington (CNN) - President Barack Obama and wife Michelle left the White House Thursday evening to celebrate the president's birthday at a Washington restaurant.

The traveling press pool reported the Obamas were dining at Rasika in the northwest section of the nation's capital.

"The President and First Lady are going out to dinner to celebrate his birthday," the White House said.

Obama turned 52 on Sunday.

According to its website, Rasika serves modern Indian cuisine, offering "small plates, a modern lounge, and a temperature controlled wine cellar."

The traveling press pool reported "few people seemed to notice as the motorcade drove down Pennsylvania Ave, stopping at the lights along the way."

Filed under: Michelle Obama • President Obama
  1. Wake up People!

They have actually tried tying him to everything bad. I even heard someone blame him for something that happened in 2005.

August 9, 2013 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. Me

I Can't Believe It

Haters, all of you. We all know it's news when the POTUS does anything, so why should this be any different. It's his birthday, and he and his wife should be allowed a break to celebrate it. C'mon, why am I even talking to you people. I mean, really? The Obamas can't go out to dinner without some closet racist bringing up race and what happened to someone by some black boys. Bad things happen in this country every day, so get a grip and go out and try and help someone in your community, the elderly or young families with children, someone at your church, or simply just pass on a good deed that's been done for you. Stop griping about what's wrong. Your lives must be miserable, but that's not because of the Obamas. I always try to see some good in my life every day. Like the president or not, agree with him or not, that's your right, but PLEASE STOP spewing the racial stuff. It doesn't help any of us. We're all just trying to get along.
    __________________
    Ummm YOU are the only one spewing racial stuff!!! Racist!!!

August 9, 2013 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  3. Larry in Houston

52 huh ? well, I will say congrats, & a happy, happy . . .hope your dinner was nice . . . (I'm sure it was) wonder where the secret service is, when you go out to eat, with your spouse ? like 5' away ? or 10' or 25' or outside the entrance, waiting on them to come out ? I mean, where do they typically stay at ? lol I don't know if I want security for the rest of my life, for everything I do, or everywhere I go. I mean, what happens if Obama needs to GO ?? LOL

well, Obama better enjoy it . . . . he's not too far from being the Lame Duck, just in a few short months . . .

August 9, 2013 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  4. LOL

Sniffit

"I wonder how much this event cost the taxpayers."

Same thing it would have cost if he stayed home. The POTUS pays for personal meals like this with his own money. The security etc. would have to be paid for REGARDLESS of whether he went out for dinner or took a dump for 2 hours in the Oval Office crapper while reading the latest intelligence reports.
    _______________

Serious, so you are saying police motorcades and limos are following him around the White house all the time??? LOL

August 9, 2013 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  5. Chris

Wake up People!

__________
    Cause it probably was his fault!!! LOL

August 9, 2013 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. Roger B. Taney IV

Please look up my ancestor and namesake, Roger B. Taney, fifth Chief Justice of the United States and also Attorney General, and see what he was MOST famous for. I would bring him back in a heartbeat to set the country right once more. I long for the way it was and proud of what he stood for.

And by the way, he was a Democrat.

August 9, 2013 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  7. bcrunner

The president goes out to dinner with his wife for his birthday and most people posting here are freaking out!! Someone even suggested that because our embassies are under threat, how could the president be out at dinner??? Come on Mr. President!! You should be out there guarding the embassies yourself!! Dear Lord!! The man cannot go out to dinner with his wife and people go nuts!! How can people take you seriously about anything else??? Some of you just grow up!!

August 10, 2013 09:57 am at 9:57 am |