Forgiven? Eliot Spitzer gets unusual endorsement
August 8th, 2013
12 months ago

Forgiven? Eliot Spitzer gets unusual endorsement

(CNN) – A number of New York City pastors have endorsed former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer's campaign for city comptroller.

A release from Spitzer's campaign refers to the endorsements as coming from "prominent New York City pastors." It does not give a specific number of pastoral endorsements, saying only that there were dozens. The release specifically names 11 pastors.

The release credits the endorsements to Spitzer's record of delivering results to the community.

"Eliot's been an independent voice that has not been afraid to take on the powerful to help our communities," Rev. Rodderick Merritt of the Tried Stone Baptist Church in the Bronx said in the statement.

"And that's what we need in the Comptroller's office."

Spitzer served as state attorney general and later governor until he resigned in 2008 after admitting that he paid prostitutes for sex.

Also credited for the endorsement were negative attacks from Spitzer's only other major rival for the comptroller's post, Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer. Polls put Spitzer ahead of Stringer among voters, likely based on name recognition.

Filed under: Eliot Spitzer
  1. Rudy NYC

I expect Spitzer to get the lion's share of the minority vote. They remember him choosing David Paterson as a running mate.

August 8, 2013 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  2. kirk

His crimes are minuscule compared to some of these clowns. The gop hates him.and that a all Ineed to know:

August 8, 2013 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  3. NEVER to VOTE REPUBLICAN again

What nonsense! Wander how much that pay off cost?

August 8, 2013 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  4. Data Driven

Fine, forgive him. Everyone deserves a second chance ... Though you'd think a grown man would know better than to cheat on his wife with a prostitute, especially when that man is a public figure. Some mistakes are a little too gross in scope. But, evidently, my opinion is, as usual, the minority one.

August 8, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  5. Wake up People!

I'm not saying what Spitzer did was right. But when exactly did the U.S. become so prudish?? Past presidents/$l@ve owners had absolutely no problem sleeping with and impregnating their $l@ves. Thomas Jefferson anyone??? And what about America's sweetheart Kennedy? He and his brother, the AG of the US, passed Marilyn around like a j at a Lil Wayne concert. If this guy is good at what he does, what exactly is the problem??

August 8, 2013 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  6. Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

--------
    If I was a minority, I think I'd find it pretty insulting of you to think that the main reason I would vote for someone is because he or she chose a minority running mate at some time.

August 8, 2013 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  7. kirk

That's not the main reason.. but keep telling yourself your not the party despised by the masses and well keep laughing at your ignorance

August 8, 2013 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  8. Pam from Iowa

Seriously? does this guy actually think that endorsement from pastors makes any difference at all????
    I question the morality of these so-called "pastors"!
    How many little boys did they molest today?????

August 8, 2013 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  9. Lynda/Minnesota

"It does not give a specific number of pastoral endorsements, saying only that there were dozens. The release specifically names 11 pastors."

How nice for Spitzer, I'm sure.

August 8, 2013 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  10. it must be said

Fair is Fair
    Rudy NYC
    --–
    --–

Don't worry Fair.... By definition (written by the leftists), it is impossible for minorities to be racist. Though everything appears to be based on skin color or race, rest assured that is not the case. So the bottom line is that only white people can be racists. How great is that for these people that use race?

August 8, 2013 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  11. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:

------------
    That just goes to show how little that you know about NYC. Patterson has traditionally been on the side of civil rights, which also happens to be his main campaign message....once again. "Give everyone a fair shot." It really has nothing to do with him picking a black man to be his running mate, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt.

August 8, 2013 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  12. Rick McDaniel

So much for decency in religion.

August 8, 2013 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  13. Irene Imanil

I think Eliot Spitzer will do not only a good job, but exceptional one as he has placed ethics above any corporate greedy gains as he went against and after the crooks. We want someone who can get the job done within reasonable, acceptable timeline, and not politicize his/her acompetencies, not achieving anything measurable. Eliot is quite the stark opposite b/c he'll fight for what he thinks is the best interest of the people, for what is appropriate, for what is good.

August 8, 2013 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  14. just sayin

sure looks like democrats can lie, cheat, steal, frequent prostitutes, expose themselves, grope women at will, stick their tongues down their throat, all while in office and the voters are expected to forgive and forget. seriously??? i guess criminality, lack of morales and horrendous judgement isn't enough to disqualify a politician these days. how low has this country sunk? with people like this in elected office, is it any wonder this country going down the tubes? thanks democrats.

August 8, 2013 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  15. I'm NOT a liberal

He also got an endorsment from Wieners mistress.

August 8, 2013 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  16. Rudy NYC

...Spitzer has traditionally been on the side of civil rights, ....

August 8, 2013 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  17. Steveo

@Fair is Fair

Rudy NYC

--–
    -------–
    Let me help you out Fair! I am a minority and I agree with you! I do realize I don't get vote but his history of selecting a black man should not be enough! How about POLICY?

August 8, 2013 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  18. Steveo

@it must be said

Fair is Fair
    Rudy NYC
    ––
    ––

----------–
    They call it "reverse racism". The truth of the matter is reverse racism does not exist. There is only racism and racists come in a variety of skin tones!

August 8, 2013 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  19. Dean

Who's surprised? Liberals have no shame.

August 8, 2013 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  20. Rudy NYC

Steveo wrote:

-------------
    If you really are a politcially savvy black man, who also claims to be from Brooklyn, then you should already know that Eliot Spitzer has always been a champion of civil rights.

August 8, 2013 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |