Reid predicts McConnell loss
August 9th, 2013
12 months ago

Reid predicts McConnell loss

Washington (CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid predicted Friday the top Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, would lose his re-election bid in 2014.

Taking calls in his home state on Nevada's public radio station KNPR, Reid confidently said the math was hard for Senate Republicans to flip control of the chamber, when asked if Democrats could lose their majority in 2014.

"They have to pick up 6 seats. I wasn't a genius with math, but those numbers are hard to come by," Reid said.

Reid went on to predict that the McConnell's Democratic challenger, Alison Grimes, and another Democratic challenger in the South would win seats now held by Republicans, including McConnell, in two red-leaning states.

"We have competitive seats in Kentucky, We are ahead in the polls in Kentucky. We are ahead in the polls in Georgia – Michelle Nunn, Sam Nunn's daughter is ahead of everybody. Alison Grimes is ahead of the Republican leader and so that's two we're going to pick up and we're doing fine around the country," Reid said on

McConnell's race has become one of the hottest races already of the 2014 midterm elections. Alison Grimes, the Kentucky Secretary of State, launched her bid as the Democratic candidate last month. But before McConnell faces Grimes he has to fend off a primary challenge from Matt Bevins, a businessman backed by tea party supporters.

The Senate GOP campaign arm's spokesman Brad Dayspring mocked Reid's comments, saying in a written statement to CNN, "It's Chuck Schumer's opinion that matters, not whatever crazy thing LINO (Leader in Name Only) Harry Reid says."

Dayspring added that every dollar Democrats decide to "spend chasing a flight of fancy" on those two races takes away from defending their own incumbents so "we hope Democrats keep channeling Captain Ahab and chasing their white whales."

Also during the radio program Reid broke with President Obama's recent call to eliminate two agencies - Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae - that underwrite the many mortgage loans.

"I don't agree with the President," Reid said, and then referring to the President's policies regarding the two government backed agencies, he added. "I have no problem looking at them, revising them, revamping. I think getting rid of them is not the right thing to do."

But later when asked by a caller if the Senate leader thought Republicans were hoping just that President would fail, Reid replied that many GOP members in Congress did want to defeat the President's agenda. But the Democratic leader raised questions about their motives, adding, "I hope that's based on substance, not the fact that he's African American."

Filed under: Harry Reid • Mitch McConnell • Senate
  1. Bessy

I hope he is right but can't assume anything. We'll see !

August 9, 2013 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  2. Data Driven

OMG at the picture. What's with the suburban faux-gang-sign poses? Hey look, it's Kidd 'N' Play. Throw in McCain and we get BellBivDivoe.

Anyway, I'm starting to agree with Harry. Mitch "Hold Yer Nose!" McConnell is clearly in trouble.

August 9, 2013 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  3. pkMyt1

I hope he does lose and then Reid loses his next round. Time to give a couple of new ones a try.

August 9, 2013 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  4. Sniffit

Unfortunately, it's looking like a real possibility that McBeaker could lose, which means that he's going to go hog wild pandering to the Teatrolls to prove himself the rootin' tootin' teatrolliest cowgirl at the rodeo. That means he's going to push the gov't shutdown threats and threats of forcing the nation to default on its debts further than he probably otherwise would have if he felt safe in getting re-elected. we'll be made to suffer because he thinks it will be to his benefit in defeating Bevin in the primary.

August 9, 2013 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. Boo

From Reid's lips to "God's ears....

August 9, 2013 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  6. I'm NOT a liberal

Reid is not only a crook but a HUGE liar. Mr. Obstructionist needs to go.

August 9, 2013 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  7. Gary

Whats wrong with congress? This picture tells the whole story.

August 9, 2013 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  8. Steve Hamilton

I hope Reid is right about Mitch,as well as retaining control of the Senate. Mitch's biggest mistake was his "my number one priority" speech. His second biggest misstatement was the comment "everybody knows that if you raise taxes, you kill jobs, which is a double lie. First, not "everybody" knows it, and second, it is just plain not true!!!!

August 9, 2013 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  9. Gurgyl

Any one that votes for Mitch McConell got to be an idiot and traitor. That sob is a racist thug.

August 9, 2013 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  10. Wake up People!

I hope you're right Senator.....

But on another note, a picture is worth a thousand words.....
    On one hand, you have an older gentleman that looks like someones kindly grandpa.....on the other hand, the Grand dragon, who looks mean and hateful.

August 9, 2013 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  11. jesse helms

Maybe someone who can say more than one word a minute will beat him.

August 9, 2013 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  12. rs

I am not sure I'd be as confident with McConnell losing, but I don't see the GOP flipping the Senate at this point- not with GOP Senatorial personalities like Mr. Cruz of Texas, or Mr. Paul of Kentucky. The GOP is simply looking pathetic and useless at this point.

August 9, 2013 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  13. rs

I'm NOT a liberal

Reid is not only a crook but a HUGE liar. Mr. Obstructionist needs to go.
    _________________________

Balh, blah, blah.... say who has orchestrated 450 filibusters in the Senate in the last 5 years? One, even on his own Bill? Hint- it isn't Reid. The GOP: the road to nowhere.

August 9, 2013 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  14. norma jean

"GETTING FIRED FROM YOUR JOB""...............It couldn't happen to a more deserving sub human !!!
    !

August 9, 2013 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  15. Robert

Brad Dayspring has it entirely wrong, which is OK by me.
    It doesn't matter whether Grier wins. The Senate campaign committee will pour money into re-electing McConnell, which will divert them from defeating Hagan. A dollar contributed to Grier will go farther than a dollar contributed to Hagan. And Reid knows that, but he's not telling.

August 9, 2013 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  16. Kinard

If there's any hope at all, he'll soon be a part of the past. Hope he stays there.

August 9, 2013 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  17. Ja

So do I, there is a season for all persons, despite

August 9, 2013 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  18. Liz the First

From his lips to God's ear! the GOP has to lose its death grip on this country if we're ever going to recover from the damage they've inflicted over the past 12 years. even the dimmest bulbs in their base have to realize sooner or later that they are being suckered into voting for people who have been hurting them and this country for years.

August 9, 2013 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  19. Larry in Houston

Harry, I hope you're right . . . but unfortunately, he's sort of like you, in the "Lifer" department . we'll see, but if I know Kentucky like I know where their Bourbon comes from, my gut feeling is 'ol mitch is gonna hang in there for awhile.

August 9, 2013 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  20. Thomas

It's Kentucky stupid !

It will be close , Mitch will win by a hair . He has a bankroll that will be hard to beat !

August 10, 2013 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  21. J.V.Hodgson

I think it is possible that McConnell could lose the primary to the tea party Republican challenger
    What I think is more important or realistic is that both primary candidates are going to go overboard on immigration, debt, government shutdown, economy during the primary,,, but McConnell the smarter politician less so and he'll win.
    Cam he then win vs Grimes without appearing to be MR flip flop ( could also apply to tea party candidate if he wins primary)and therefore have a serious risk of loss
    My final take if democrats can make this just much closer than usual republicans can say bye bye to gaining 6 senate seats in 2014.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

August 10, 2013 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  22. Scott

The man is an idiot, anythign Harry says amounts to nothing.

August 10, 2013 05:52 am at 5:52 am |
  23. Steveo

Reid is from Nevada, Nevada is home to Las Vegas, Las Vegas is home to 100s of casinos, the casinos produce far more losers than winners. My point? Trust Reid's prediction at your own peril! I doubt if he know if he know the public sentiment in Kentucky. Heck, I doubt he knows the public sentiment in Nevada!

August 10, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am |