August 12th, 2013
1 year ago

Anthony Weiner's interview: The top moments

(CNN) – Anthony Weiner's run for New York City mayor has been one of the most watched - and most controversial - campaigns in the country. Weiner passed on a beer, but he sat for a live question-and answer session hosted by BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith in a "BuzzFeed Brews" event that was livestreamed exclusively on the "CNN BuzzFeed" channel on YouTube.

In the wide-ranging interview, Weiner talked about the effect his sexting scandal had on his wife's career and weighed in on his therapy sessions. He also dropped a hint about Hillary Clinton's plans for 2016.

1) 'It's hurt her professionally'

Smith: Is Huma still working on the campaign?

Weiner: She's helping out every day

Smith: Do you know what her role in Hillary's 2016 campaign is going to be?

Weiner: I do.

Smith: What will it be?

Weiner: I'm not telling you.

Smith: Do you feel like you've damaged her place in that world?

Weiner: I feel that what I've done has hurt her, yeah. It's hurts her professionally. It's hurt her personally. We made a decision that these things were behind us and we made a calculated gamble on the question of whether or not citizens would be more interested in their family's future than in my personal failings that are behind me. She's gotten roughed up and it's been completely unfair in my view.

PHOTOS: Photos: Who is Weiner's wife?

Smith: She had been, until probably last week, kind of the point of entry if you wanted to get something from Hillary or work with Hillary. Is she going to return to that?

Weiner: You'd have to ask her.

2) What about Snapchat?

Smith: The one question that actually I get most from BuzzFeed staff and the Internet was why not use Snapchat?

Weiner: I don't have a good answer to that.

3) Still in therapy

Smith: Are you back in therapy?

Weiner: Apparently you never go out of therapy, they just have this thing where you just remain in forever, but I still see a therapist sometimes.

Smith: Weekly? More than weekly?

Weiner: I see my therapist when I can. It's tough on the campaign trail.

4) Weiner says he messaged sexting partner in April

Smith: When is the last time you engaged (with Sydney Leathers)? She said April 12 of this year.

Leathers makes her pick for NYC mayor

Weiner: I didn't exchange anything inappropriate with her for going back a year, there were messages that were completely, you know, how are you doing? What do you think of this? I treated her like a friend.

5) Weiner’s possible new digs.

Smith: If elected, are you going to live in Gracie Mansion (the place of residence for mayor of New York)?

Weiner: Hell yeah, of course

Weiner still toward back of pack, according to poll

6) Weiner not a fan of the New York Times

Weiner: The New York Times, wait for it, doesn't want me to win...Their heads are exploding over the idea...I don't have fealty to them. I'm not treating a New York Times endorsement as an end to itself...This is the same people that brought you a third term for Mike Bloomberg. I do not care. And it makes them nuts that I don't care.

Weiner's first TV ad: 'Powerful voices' against him

Smith: Do you think (owner) Arthur Sulzberger has a problem with you?

Weiner: I couldn't pick him out of a line-up. He's alive right? That would be bad if he wasn't. What baseball team owns them?

Smith: Owns the New York Times? I'm not sure which baseball team owns the New York Times. That's a question for the audience.

7) Getting heated on bike lanes

Weiner: I once made a joke, and I said it to Mike Bloomberg, and this was in the height of a lot of the controversy about the bike lanes, I said first thing I was going to do as mayor was hold a press conference tearing out your – this is the internet, right? – tearing out your f***ing bike lanes. And it was a joke. There are good bike lanes and bad bike lanes.

Filed under: Anthony Weiner
  1. ????

Any chance that Paula Deen gets her reputation and her business deals back after being lynched by the racist-politically-correct-mainstream-media complex?

Didn't think so.

August 12, 2013 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  2. Rick McDaniel

Why anyone would actually vote for this guy, is beyond me.

August 12, 2013 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  3. No

What a shame that we have this unhedged person run for mayor of NYC – and he was leading the poles at one point.

August 12, 2013 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  4. Keith Long

It's New York, Rick. Does that answer your question?

August 12, 2013 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  5. Rogue351

Presented by Carlos Danger

August 12, 2013 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  6. Wade stem

No thanks

August 12, 2013 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  7. Separook bin Feinstein

If Mark Sanford can be reelected, why can't this pervert?

August 12, 2013 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  8. rich

if this guy gets elected im moving to canada

August 12, 2013 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  9. taxpayer

What a pathetic state that this country has come to,..to have this clown as a candidate that actually has voters still supporting him.

August 12, 2013 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  10. george

there are many signs that shows when a PEOPLE became a herd........if this guy is elected the PEOPLE of New York became the SHEEPLE of New York

August 12, 2013 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  11. pdriscoll

My feeling? This guy is PERFECT to run for mayor of San Diego.

August 12, 2013 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  12. Siesta_Bear

New Yorkers have no clue as to what would be a great mayor after Rudy.

August 12, 2013 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  13. Patrick

Best interview with a candidate that I've seen in a long, long time.

August 12, 2013 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  14. Edward

BuzzFeed. I have never heard of it. I enjoyed this very much. While Weiner does not have much of a chance at becoming mayor of NYC. He would have a fine chance in a different country. America is more interested in his bedroom than his office.

August 12, 2013 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  15. sharon carroll

just don't get it, hard to listen to him

August 12, 2013 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  16. straighttalk

There are lots if nuts in NYC.

August 12, 2013 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  17. gregorymunson

Please tell me why we are dealing with this looser?

August 12, 2013 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  18. gregorymunson

Why does he even need .05 seconds of fame (about the same about of time to push a fart) WOW Dude resign and just go away. Nobody wants to even look at you. The media just loves making you look even more like a complete fool.

August 12, 2013 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  19. D Fisher

I have the same problem with Weiner that I have with A-Rod. Normally, public figures who make mistakes try to come back into public favor after atoning (or at least stopping) for the behavior that got them into trouble. Weiner and A-Rod both said they made a mistake, asked for forgiveness, and then turned around and engaged in the very activity that got them into trouble in the first place. Then after getting caught a second time still have the nerve to ask people to trust them in the future. You would think both would just put their heads down and walk away, but their egos won't let them.

August 12, 2013 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  20. Jeb

Weiner is a disaster. He needs to step aside and seek help.

August 12, 2013 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  21. tarlcabot

I'll say this – any of you who got caught with their pants down wouldn't stand up to the scrutiny like this. Hubris or vainity, whatever – he is taking the hit, repeatedly.

August 12, 2013 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  22. Namejimmy

I would vote for him he is like all politican

August 12, 2013 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  23. This guy has serious issues

what a whack job

August 12, 2013 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  24. vidal808

Because it's New York dude....that is why people may vote for this guy again....

August 12, 2013 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  25. Nash

@Rick McDaniel... because he did something for the heroes that others could not do in years. His outburst in the congress was the reflection of 100s and 1000s of people who are affected by politicians' inability to perform the job that they are elected to do. Bill after bill gets stalled in congress for years... but I bet if you introduce a bill that offers to raise their salaries and pay them bonuses will get passed in less than a day...

What he does in his personal life should be nobody's business as long as he does the job that he was elected to do... and that is to stand up for his people...

August 12, 2013 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |