August 12th, 2013
8 months ago

Anthony Weiner's interview: The top moments

(CNN) – Anthony Weiner's run for New York City mayor has been one of the most watched - and most controversial - campaigns in the country. Weiner passed on a beer, but he sat for a live question-and answer session hosted by BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith in a "BuzzFeed Brews" event that was livestreamed exclusively on the "CNN BuzzFeed" channel on YouTube.

In the wide-ranging interview, Weiner talked about the effect his sexting scandal had on his wife's career and weighed in on his therapy sessions. He also dropped a hint about Hillary Clinton's plans for 2016.

1) 'It's hurt her professionally'

Smith: Is Huma still working on the campaign?

Weiner: She's helping out every day

Smith: Do you know what her role in Hillary's 2016 campaign is going to be?

Weiner: I do.

Smith: What will it be?

Weiner: I'm not telling you.

Smith: Do you feel like you've damaged her place in that world?

Weiner: I feel that what I've done has hurt her, yeah. It's hurts her professionally. It's hurt her personally. We made a decision that these things were behind us and we made a calculated gamble on the question of whether or not citizens would be more interested in their family's future than in my personal failings that are behind me. She's gotten roughed up and it's been completely unfair in my view.

PHOTOS: Photos: Who is Weiner's wife?

Smith: She had been, until probably last week, kind of the point of entry if you wanted to get something from Hillary or work with Hillary. Is she going to return to that?

Weiner: You'd have to ask her.

2) What about Snapchat?

Smith: The one question that actually I get most from BuzzFeed staff and the Internet was why not use Snapchat?

Weiner: I don't have a good answer to that.

3) Still in therapy

Smith: Are you back in therapy?

Weiner: Apparently you never go out of therapy, they just have this thing where you just remain in forever, but I still see a therapist sometimes.

Smith: Weekly? More than weekly?

Weiner: I see my therapist when I can. It's tough on the campaign trail.

4) Weiner says he messaged sexting partner in April

Smith: When is the last time you engaged (with Sydney Leathers)? She said April 12 of this year.

Leathers makes her pick for NYC mayor

Weiner: I didn't exchange anything inappropriate with her for going back a year, there were messages that were completely, you know, how are you doing? What do you think of this? I treated her like a friend.

5) Weiner’s possible new digs.

Smith: If elected, are you going to live in Gracie Mansion (the place of residence for mayor of New York)?

Weiner: Hell yeah, of course

Weiner still toward back of pack, according to poll

6) Weiner not a fan of the New York Times

Weiner: The New York Times, wait for it, doesn't want me to win...Their heads are exploding over the idea...I don't have fealty to them. I'm not treating a New York Times endorsement as an end to itself...This is the same people that brought you a third term for Mike Bloomberg. I do not care. And it makes them nuts that I don't care.

Weiner's first TV ad: 'Powerful voices' against him

Smith: Do you think (owner) Arthur Sulzberger has a problem with you?

Weiner: I couldn't pick him out of a line-up. He's alive right? That would be bad if he wasn't. What baseball team owns them?

Smith: Owns the New York Times? I'm not sure which baseball team owns the New York Times. That's a question for the audience.

7) Getting heated on bike lanes

Weiner: I once made a joke, and I said it to Mike Bloomberg, and this was in the height of a lot of the controversy about the bike lanes, I said first thing I was going to do as mayor was hold a press conference tearing out your – this is the internet, right? – tearing out your f***ing bike lanes. And it was a joke. There are good bike lanes and bad bike lanes.

Filed under: Anthony Weiner
  1. mulehead

This idiot is done...move on...nothing to see here....career is dead....reality show canceled...

August 12, 2013 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  2. Conscience of a Conservative

This interview is very troubling and indicates Weiner still has issues and is not fit to be mayor. The fact that he's in contact with Sydney leathers as recently as this past April, regardless of the context shows extremely poor judgment. She represents only further embarrassment. It's befuddling how he considers her a friend. As far as questions about Hillary, saying he knows but won't say, probably shows a mis-placed sense of importance. Even when he's being open, he demonstrates why the public should not have faith in him.

August 12, 2013 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  3. Pat in IL

Yuck. What on earth does he see when he looks in the mirror??

August 12, 2013 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  4. Winston Smith

Can not believe any person, with any dignity at all would have the courage to stand up and ask for this position, unless they were egomaniacs. Any normal person would have went into hiding, a long time ago. What's motivating this creep? And don't hand out that yarn about he cares for the city. There's got to be money hidden somewhere.

August 12, 2013 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  5. pjoe

Poor guy. Wish him well, but hope he finds another profession outside of politics.

August 13, 2013 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  6. fredb

This guy is delusional and takes 'loose cannon' to a whole new level.

Sure bike lanes would be the main issue for me in an election?

August 13, 2013 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  7. Peppy

Just like Hillary, we see a nervous breakdown coming !!!

August 13, 2013 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  8. Anonymous

the money isn't exactly hidden. remember the congress passed a ton of insider trading restrictions for politicians, yet failed to actually implement the majority, or even any of them. he will get rich(er) simply by knowing what, where, when, and who for a vast number of contracts and services. easy to make money with an inside track. just ask your mayor, representative, congressperson, judge, senator, any lobbyist..

August 13, 2013 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  9. flatbushfred

If he won, we would replace Texas as the country's political joke!

August 13, 2013 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  10. Danny M

Oh, the arrogance.

August 13, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  11. ricardo1968

He hurt more than his wife. He was in fact a very talented politician and a great bulldog debater. Without all this unnecessary baggage he could have done great things for the country. What a waste.

August 13, 2013 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  12. kdmiller

More concerned with the campaign trail then fixing his screwed up life, I would not put this man in any office he can't be trusted

August 13, 2013 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  13. Libdumb

Why does the press cover this crap. Sorry this is the model for the Democratic Party. Obama wines and dines on Cape Cod at taxpayer expense again.

August 13, 2013 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  14. Csquared

She needs to ditch this albatross and get on with her career and life unencumbered.

August 13, 2013 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  15. fastball

Just goes to show that denial isn't just a river in Egypt!!!
    The guy is going to get shelled in a MAYORAL race...but he's still got eyes on a White House position??
    If I were Hillary or any other politician – it would be "stay away from this guy".

August 13, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  16. maximusvad

The Todd Aiken of the Democrat party....just retire from politics....

August 13, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  17. Stephen F. Kaufman

Who is this moronic, decrepit, low-life freak, and where does he get the balls to run for office?. Have our societal mores been so totally corrupted that there is no one with dignity and conscience to run for office?

August 13, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  18. liberal disease

sick power hungry people, the whole lot of them..do you really think they give a damn about anything else but power?

August 13, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  19. Julie

He probably needs to stop talking. He should know how people who cross the Clinton's mysteriously end up.

August 13, 2013 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  20. CherryMama

I think having a beer or two before interviews is a good idea. I'd love to hear these guys be loose lipped and honest!

August 13, 2013 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. donna

We all know he can't tell the truth. Why CNN, do you use something he "hinted at" as a headline? He'd say anything if he knew it would put him into the limelight with the media again.

August 13, 2013 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  22. Libdumb

What does the press cover this baloney?

August 13, 2013 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  23. Libdumb

I guess CNN condones this behavior.

August 13, 2013 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  24. larry simpson

wiener and clinton running mates lol

August 13, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  25. HUSSEINGETSTHEBLAME

The greatest city in the world deserves the best mayor to accurately represent their population and political leanings.That man would be Anthony Weiner,the future Mayor of New York City.

August 13, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |