August 12th, 2013
11 months ago

Anthony Weiner's interview: The top moments

(CNN) – Anthony Weiner's run for New York City mayor has been one of the most watched - and most controversial - campaigns in the country. Weiner passed on a beer, but he sat for a live question-and answer session hosted by BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith in a "BuzzFeed Brews" event that was livestreamed exclusively on the "CNN BuzzFeed" channel on YouTube.

In the wide-ranging interview, Weiner talked about the effect his sexting scandal had on his wife's career and weighed in on his therapy sessions. He also dropped a hint about Hillary Clinton's plans for 2016.

1) 'It's hurt her professionally'

Smith: Is Huma still working on the campaign?

Weiner: She's helping out every day

Smith: Do you know what her role in Hillary's 2016 campaign is going to be?

Weiner: I do.

Smith: What will it be?

Weiner: I'm not telling you.

Smith: Do you feel like you've damaged her place in that world?

Weiner: I feel that what I've done has hurt her, yeah. It's hurts her professionally. It's hurt her personally. We made a decision that these things were behind us and we made a calculated gamble on the question of whether or not citizens would be more interested in their family's future than in my personal failings that are behind me. She's gotten roughed up and it's been completely unfair in my view.

PHOTOS: Photos: Who is Weiner's wife?

Smith: She had been, until probably last week, kind of the point of entry if you wanted to get something from Hillary or work with Hillary. Is she going to return to that?

Weiner: You'd have to ask her.

2) What about Snapchat?

Smith: The one question that actually I get most from BuzzFeed staff and the Internet was why not use Snapchat?

Weiner: I don't have a good answer to that.

3) Still in therapy

Smith: Are you back in therapy?

Weiner: Apparently you never go out of therapy, they just have this thing where you just remain in forever, but I still see a therapist sometimes.

Smith: Weekly? More than weekly?

Weiner: I see my therapist when I can. It's tough on the campaign trail.

4) Weiner says he messaged sexting partner in April

Smith: When is the last time you engaged (with Sydney Leathers)? She said April 12 of this year.

Leathers makes her pick for NYC mayor

Weiner: I didn't exchange anything inappropriate with her for going back a year, there were messages that were completely, you know, how are you doing? What do you think of this? I treated her like a friend.

5) Weiner’s possible new digs.

Smith: If elected, are you going to live in Gracie Mansion (the place of residence for mayor of New York)?

Weiner: Hell yeah, of course

Weiner still toward back of pack, according to poll

6) Weiner not a fan of the New York Times

Weiner: The New York Times, wait for it, doesn't want me to win...Their heads are exploding over the idea...I don't have fealty to them. I'm not treating a New York Times endorsement as an end to itself...This is the same people that brought you a third term for Mike Bloomberg. I do not care. And it makes them nuts that I don't care.

Weiner's first TV ad: 'Powerful voices' against him

Smith: Do you think (owner) Arthur Sulzberger has a problem with you?

Weiner: I couldn't pick him out of a line-up. He's alive right? That would be bad if he wasn't. What baseball team owns them?

Smith: Owns the New York Times? I'm not sure which baseball team owns the New York Times. That's a question for the audience.

7) Getting heated on bike lanes

Weiner: I once made a joke, and I said it to Mike Bloomberg, and this was in the height of a lot of the controversy about the bike lanes, I said first thing I was going to do as mayor was hold a press conference tearing out your – this is the internet, right? – tearing out your f***ing bike lanes. And it was a joke. There are good bike lanes and bad bike lanes.

Filed under: Anthony Weiner
  1. freedom fan

Huma hurt herself by hanging around Hillary Clinton.

August 13, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  2. flick42

can this man just be quiet? he can't seem to get out of the way of his own mouth.

August 13, 2013 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  3. HOLadd1

This tool is the political equivalent of Amy's Baking Company...

August 13, 2013 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  4. bobrimac

This guy is so creepy, I want to take a shower every time I see him on TV or in articles like this.

August 13, 2013 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  5. Myke

Why vote for Clinton? She'll just continue what Obama is doing.

August 13, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  6. HUSSEINGETSTHEBLAME

Anthony Weiner is all that is right for NYC,the greatest city in the world

August 13, 2013 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  7. bobrimac

This guy is just too creepy to be real. Why do they keep covering this nut and his screwball wife in the news?

August 13, 2013 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  8. Corey

Wait...what was the hint? It is possible I just misread the article but I don't see where he hinted at anything about Clinton.

August 13, 2013 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  9. Pamela Brooke

Mr. Weiner privately thanked Ben Smith after this interview for the snapchat suggestion.

August 13, 2013 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  10. shiney

He is SOOOO seriously done... I doubt someone could come back from this twice now...

Anybody who would vote for this guy seriously needs their head examined...

August 13, 2013 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  11. calvin

"my personal failings that are behind me"... Dude, you're failings are NOT behind you.

August 13, 2013 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  12. Greg Faith

People who are giving this creep money to run for mayor are in deep need of a shrinks advice.

August 13, 2013 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  13. Chris

Hillary Clinton may view Huma as a trusted staffer, however any link to Weiner is a death knell for a political career. As Weiner has shown he is not trustworthy or able to keep confidential information confidential, Clinton needs to distance herself from the both of them.

August 13, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  14. Mike

If his wife wants to save her career, she needs to leave this man.

August 13, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  15. Rich

I am sick of this puritanism is America... now even in NY. I ran away from the South for the same reason, and I guess I'll have to move to Europe, where most people can separate professional life from personal morals biased for sickening religion and superficial customs.

August 13, 2013 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  16. Rich

If the guy has the experience, bring good ideas, and is willing to help THIS hard, believing in his work well beyond your superficial stinky moral, let him talk, hear what he put on the table, and if you like the project, vote him! One of the best US presidents in US has made things morally much worst, remember Monica? So what, still the best, still today Clinton shows daily he can hep this world way beyond you "moral" things, way beyond the other presidents that came later and now they are sit in their porch with a shotgun!

August 13, 2013 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  17. Ben

He's got it right about bike lanes. Otherwise, the dude is a train wreck.

August 13, 2013 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  18. albie

why is anyone still listening to this tool? If i were a new yorker i would be so embarrassed right now

August 13, 2013 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  19. Rob

Perhaps Weiner can run as Hillary's VP!

August 13, 2013 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  20. Mark

Haven't they given this self-absorbed narcissist enough air time??? His wife is pathetic too.

August 13, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  21. booley

Hillary running in 2016 is some sort of secret?
    Good grief, she has been running for 2016 ever since she lost the primary to Obama back in 2008 ...

August 13, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  22. CJ

There are tons of people who voted for Obama twice. If that can happen, then Weiner can be mayor.

August 13, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  23. Bud

CNN ought to be embarrassed by continuing to cover this as news. This is a sick dude and if his wife really cared about him she would get him help and forget about this mayor run. This is about as low as journalism can get.

August 13, 2013 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  24. Winston

Why is this guy in politics?? Seriously, based on that alone you have to question his intelligence.

August 13, 2013 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  25. Jim

He just hurt his wife's chances of working with a Clinton campaign yet again with this egotistical "reveal." He is sick. NY will have the government they deserve based on the electorate's choices, for better or worse.

August 13, 2013 10:51 am at 10:51 am |