August 12th, 2013
8 months ago

Anthony Weiner's interview: The top moments

(CNN) – Anthony Weiner's run for New York City mayor has been one of the most watched - and most controversial - campaigns in the country. Weiner passed on a beer, but he sat for a live question-and answer session hosted by BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith in a "BuzzFeed Brews" event that was livestreamed exclusively on the "CNN BuzzFeed" channel on YouTube.

In the wide-ranging interview, Weiner talked about the effect his sexting scandal had on his wife's career and weighed in on his therapy sessions. He also dropped a hint about Hillary Clinton's plans for 2016.

1) 'It's hurt her professionally'

Smith: Is Huma still working on the campaign?

Weiner: She's helping out every day

Smith: Do you know what her role in Hillary's 2016 campaign is going to be?

Weiner: I do.

Smith: What will it be?

Weiner: I'm not telling you.

Smith: Do you feel like you've damaged her place in that world?

Weiner: I feel that what I've done has hurt her, yeah. It's hurts her professionally. It's hurt her personally. We made a decision that these things were behind us and we made a calculated gamble on the question of whether or not citizens would be more interested in their family's future than in my personal failings that are behind me. She's gotten roughed up and it's been completely unfair in my view.

PHOTOS: Photos: Who is Weiner's wife?

Smith: She had been, until probably last week, kind of the point of entry if you wanted to get something from Hillary or work with Hillary. Is she going to return to that?

Weiner: You'd have to ask her.

2) What about Snapchat?

Smith: The one question that actually I get most from BuzzFeed staff and the Internet was why not use Snapchat?

Weiner: I don't have a good answer to that.

3) Still in therapy

Smith: Are you back in therapy?

Weiner: Apparently you never go out of therapy, they just have this thing where you just remain in forever, but I still see a therapist sometimes.

Smith: Weekly? More than weekly?

Weiner: I see my therapist when I can. It's tough on the campaign trail.

4) Weiner says he messaged sexting partner in April

Smith: When is the last time you engaged (with Sydney Leathers)? She said April 12 of this year.

Leathers makes her pick for NYC mayor

Weiner: I didn't exchange anything inappropriate with her for going back a year, there were messages that were completely, you know, how are you doing? What do you think of this? I treated her like a friend.

5) Weiner’s possible new digs.

Smith: If elected, are you going to live in Gracie Mansion (the place of residence for mayor of New York)?

Weiner: Hell yeah, of course

Weiner still toward back of pack, according to poll

6) Weiner not a fan of the New York Times

Weiner: The New York Times, wait for it, doesn't want me to win...Their heads are exploding over the idea...I don't have fealty to them. I'm not treating a New York Times endorsement as an end to itself...This is the same people that brought you a third term for Mike Bloomberg. I do not care. And it makes them nuts that I don't care.

Weiner's first TV ad: 'Powerful voices' against him

Smith: Do you think (owner) Arthur Sulzberger has a problem with you?

Weiner: I couldn't pick him out of a line-up. He's alive right? That would be bad if he wasn't. What baseball team owns them?

Smith: Owns the New York Times? I'm not sure which baseball team owns the New York Times. That's a question for the audience.

7) Getting heated on bike lanes

Weiner: I once made a joke, and I said it to Mike Bloomberg, and this was in the height of a lot of the controversy about the bike lanes, I said first thing I was going to do as mayor was hold a press conference tearing out your – this is the internet, right? – tearing out your f***ing bike lanes. And it was a joke. There are good bike lanes and bad bike lanes.

Filed under: Anthony Weiner
  1. Larry

Hey Weiner, We all know that YOUR decision to text sweeties was obviously stupid; however, don't seek sympathy from the public about how YOUR actions hurt your wife. Didn't you realize that when YOU decided to text? What a dumb bell. Divorce your wife then you can text your chickees all you want.

August 13, 2013 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  2. Shorty

You Americans have got to stop encouraging and voting for idiots. All they are doing is bringing you and your country down.

August 13, 2013 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  3. EastCoast Mike

If he cared even an ounce for his wife he would drop out the mayoral race and lay low.....but his ego is too big for that. He'll continue saying and doing stupid things, lose the election, and continue to make his wife look like a fool for staying with him.
    Clinton may have to drop her to distance herself from this creep.

August 13, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  4. KSL

This guy sounds mad at the world and now he wants to ruin it for Clinton and this other person. I can understand some personal mistakes, but this guy...something about him and the image of you know what...something's not right there
    Sorry, Mr. Weiner

August 13, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  5. upside down

If Hillary wins, she'll Vince Foster him.

August 13, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  6. Mangomano

You can't talk your way out of a situation that you behaved your way into.

August 13, 2013 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  7. bum

I got from this article:
    1) Hillary will be in the presidential primaries for prez.
    2) Now we know why his wife is standing by her man – will probably be part of the prez. cabinet if Hillary is elected.
    3) Weiner doesn't have the time to go to counseling, so me makes an appearance for publicity's sake.
    4) He is blaming other people for his faults – i.e., the New York Times.
    5) Every time he opens his mouth, he sounds more disgusting.

August 13, 2013 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  8. Mark

Some people just don't know when to shut up.

August 13, 2013 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  9. Qvilleman

The fact that this guy is involved in anything more than collecting trash on the roadside is a tribute to what a failure our society is today.

August 13, 2013 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  10. miami

Oh no wait a munite..this guy is a nice and fair guy i believe everybody do something wrong in their lifetime he always speaking for the poor or the middle class american ..so for all of u that hit this guy get over yourself.

August 13, 2013 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  11. Mike

His response to the therapy question shows that he does not think he has a problem and therapy is an inconvenience. Furthermore, he does not have the brains to at least fake being humble or regretful.
    He is destroying his wife's career.

August 13, 2013 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  12. NameHoward

I enjoyed Weiner's style in the interview. The way he handled the questions were effortless. He would of made a great mayor for New York. His no nonsense attitude can be abrasive. But aren't most New Yorkers.What a waste,he is such a talented politician.

August 13, 2013 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  13. Please..

Dead Man Livestreaming. It's increasingly absurd that he hasn't pulled out of the race.

August 13, 2013 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  14. mork121

Weiner, you're mentally ill. Seek help.

August 13, 2013 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  15. teamski

Why are we still reading about this guy? He should be censured.

August 13, 2013 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  16. Phil in the Blanks

Weiner is attempting to distract everyone's attention to his wife – who did nothing wrong. He is the culprit and should remain suspect – not his wife, regardless of what he says or how "cool" he is about it. His wife is not openly perverted, he is. I would not vote for him to walk my dog. He needs to keep his hands out of his pants, learn manners and respect taught in childhood, if not for himself, then his wife, his country and then the whole world.

August 13, 2013 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  17. sally

What he has done is not the kind of behavior we need in leaders of our country. Why his wife is staying with him is
    beyond me. This guy needs to disappear and live his sick little life out of the public eye. She needs to leave him
    and find someone worthy of her.

August 13, 2013 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  18. Fred Evil

You HAVE hurt her, as in 'in the past'?!
    You are STILL hurting her, as in 'in the present'!
    Sit down, shut up, Weiner.

August 13, 2013 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  19. hemusbull

As Weiner divorce his wife he can continue sexting to other females. But for now he must withdraw himself from ANY political activities. You sir could hurt your wife but pleas don't exploit the public...Enough!

August 13, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  20. AFvet

It's not the 'sex' issue as some are saying – it's the lies and the cover-up and then he did it again. Same as with Nixon – it wasn't just the break-in – it was the lies and cover-up. With Clinton – it wasn't the 'sex' – it was the lies and the cover-up.

NYC deserves something better than Weiner as a possible mayor and Switzer as possible Comptroller.

August 13, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  21. Olaf Big

If I were Weiner, I probably would not mention Bloomberg in such dismissive manner, the comparison between the two does not do Weiner any favors.

August 13, 2013 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  22. disqus_m4RzRjSnrs

He hurt his wife?! Geez, he is brilliant.

August 13, 2013 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  23. UDidntBuildThat

I hurt my wife....AGAIN!!! Yep NY and you wanted to re-elect this guy.
    fool me once shame on u, fool me twice, Huma u r the democrat's logo.

August 13, 2013 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  24. Stanley

Weiner of course you hurt your wife. She's a little thing after all and you got to put more lube on it before you insert it. Think Weiner think!

August 13, 2013 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  25. sunflower2

He hurt his wife.... DUH. Ya think so??

August 13, 2013 11:51 am at 11:51 am |