August 12th, 2013
8 months ago

Anthony Weiner's interview: The top moments

(CNN) – Anthony Weiner's run for New York City mayor has been one of the most watched - and most controversial - campaigns in the country. Weiner passed on a beer, but he sat for a live question-and answer session hosted by BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith in a "BuzzFeed Brews" event that was livestreamed exclusively on the "CNN BuzzFeed" channel on YouTube.

In the wide-ranging interview, Weiner talked about the effect his sexting scandal had on his wife's career and weighed in on his therapy sessions. He also dropped a hint about Hillary Clinton's plans for 2016.

1) 'It's hurt her professionally'

Smith: Is Huma still working on the campaign?

Weiner: She's helping out every day

Smith: Do you know what her role in Hillary's 2016 campaign is going to be?

Weiner: I do.

Smith: What will it be?

Weiner: I'm not telling you.

Smith: Do you feel like you've damaged her place in that world?

Weiner: I feel that what I've done has hurt her, yeah. It's hurts her professionally. It's hurt her personally. We made a decision that these things were behind us and we made a calculated gamble on the question of whether or not citizens would be more interested in their family's future than in my personal failings that are behind me. She's gotten roughed up and it's been completely unfair in my view.

PHOTOS: Photos: Who is Weiner's wife?

Smith: She had been, until probably last week, kind of the point of entry if you wanted to get something from Hillary or work with Hillary. Is she going to return to that?

Weiner: You'd have to ask her.

2) What about Snapchat?

Smith: The one question that actually I get most from BuzzFeed staff and the Internet was why not use Snapchat?

Weiner: I don't have a good answer to that.

3) Still in therapy

Smith: Are you back in therapy?

Weiner: Apparently you never go out of therapy, they just have this thing where you just remain in forever, but I still see a therapist sometimes.

Smith: Weekly? More than weekly?

Weiner: I see my therapist when I can. It's tough on the campaign trail.

4) Weiner says he messaged sexting partner in April

Smith: When is the last time you engaged (with Sydney Leathers)? She said April 12 of this year.

Leathers makes her pick for NYC mayor

Weiner: I didn't exchange anything inappropriate with her for going back a year, there were messages that were completely, you know, how are you doing? What do you think of this? I treated her like a friend.

5) Weiner’s possible new digs.

Smith: If elected, are you going to live in Gracie Mansion (the place of residence for mayor of New York)?

Weiner: Hell yeah, of course

Weiner still toward back of pack, according to poll

6) Weiner not a fan of the New York Times

Weiner: The New York Times, wait for it, doesn't want me to win...Their heads are exploding over the idea...I don't have fealty to them. I'm not treating a New York Times endorsement as an end to itself...This is the same people that brought you a third term for Mike Bloomberg. I do not care. And it makes them nuts that I don't care.

Weiner's first TV ad: 'Powerful voices' against him

Smith: Do you think (owner) Arthur Sulzberger has a problem with you?

Weiner: I couldn't pick him out of a line-up. He's alive right? That would be bad if he wasn't. What baseball team owns them?

Smith: Owns the New York Times? I'm not sure which baseball team owns the New York Times. That's a question for the audience.

7) Getting heated on bike lanes

Weiner: I once made a joke, and I said it to Mike Bloomberg, and this was in the height of a lot of the controversy about the bike lanes, I said first thing I was going to do as mayor was hold a press conference tearing out your – this is the internet, right? – tearing out your f***ing bike lanes. And it was a joke. There are good bike lanes and bad bike lanes.

Filed under: Anthony Weiner
  1. Got a Clue

Why do Politicians NOT see the FACT that their Ethical Behavior IS required 100% of the time! "the question of whether or not citizens would be more interested in their family's future than in my personal failings"

This IDIOT really does not understand that His personal failings make it very hard to believe He could help someone's future! Ever heard of LEADERSHIP Weiner???? YOU ARE THE EXACT OPPOSITE! Please just go take a long walk off a short pier,,disappear, leave, crawl back under that rock you came from,,and Your wife needs to leave you for a real man,,which will happen soon I think,,she seems like a smart, strong, beautiful woman,,and you don't deserve her,,eventually she will see that and leave your pathetic self behind her,,,while taking what ever money you can earn,,LOSER

August 13, 2013 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  2. revolting peasant

if you think of all of the terrible things that some politicians do, a compulsion to send nudie pictures of yourself to strangers seems pretty innocuous. That said, I would never vote for this guy. He should go out and get a proper job in the private sector and then send all the nudie pictures he likes.

August 13, 2013 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. Boo

When is this narcissist going to get THAT NOONE WANTS HIM TO BE MAYOR OF NYC??????

August 13, 2013 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  4. Grocery Stocker

I think Huma has earned a free one night Hall Pass.

August 13, 2013 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  5. Kimo

Vote for him? You'd need a shower in bleach after shaking his hand!

August 13, 2013 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  6. John

This guy's an embarrassing joke. Love Bloomberg or hate Bloomberg, he got things done - and with decency and dignity. The only thing this worthless perverted narcissist did was to flush a promising political career down the sewer. To be fair to him though, I have to admit that his manhood is impressive. The problem is that heretofore, that hasn't been one of the qualifications relevant to being Mayor of NYC.

August 13, 2013 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  7. Tutuvabene

He still has a wife?

August 13, 2013 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  8. JamVee

Sorry, but his wife is "catching the heat", because the public perceives her as being either terribly naive, or simply stupid, for trusting him . . . AGAIN!

It made little sense the first time, but was, at least, conceivable. However, the 2nd time . . . , I don't think so!

One has to ponder what will happen when he does it again, or does someone think that's not possible?

August 13, 2013 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  9. Unbelievable

Calling Dr. Phil! Calling Dr. Phil!

August 13, 2013 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  10. Amber J

This guy does not speak eloquently at all. He hurt his family. If his own family can't trust him, how are strangers supposed to feel? He sounds so full of himself in this interview!

August 13, 2013 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  11. Timothy

Yeah, you hurt your wife, but your killing the public, get out of the news.

August 13, 2013 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  12. Steven Colo

"We made a decision that these things were behind us and we made a calculated gamble on the question of whether or not citizens would be more interested in their family's future than in my personal failings that are behind me. She's gotten roughed up and it's been completely unfair in my view."

Amazing. The guy keeps chasing other women and thinks the media are to blame for Huma being unhappy. He can't control himself and thinks we should trust him with the whole city.

August 13, 2013 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  13. Chris

I could care less if a politician can or can't keep it in their pants(Clinton wasn't a bad guy, Kennedy anyone?). I do however care about their performance in office. I mean come on folks. EVERYONE has something wrong with them. I'd rather it be something simple and predictable.

August 13, 2013 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  14. Laurie

Yes we know you hurt your wife. would you please just go away now?

August 13, 2013 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  15. Nina

This is a very sad story about a very sad marriage, lack of personal moral fiber and codependency. I feel sorry for both husband and wife, and hope they can find substantive help to heal themselves.

August 13, 2013 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  16. PoBoy

If the press would ignore this clown, he would go away!

August 13, 2013 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  17. Ted Ward

Weiner is a sad example of the clueless, shameless, arrogant, destructive, and narcissistic, complete lack of personal integrity so reminiscent of the Clintons or the Kennedys. And we've all seen where that leads. The public demands that its elected officials be addressing and solving the problems their office faces, not becoming problems themselves. The bar of integrity for public office is a high one, not a non-existent one! This Weiner schmuck makes one wonder just what quality of judgement Hillary has when selecting those who surround her. Looks like they're all just a bunch of souless, self-promoting opportunists. The voting public deserves far better.

August 13, 2013 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  18. poopsiepoop

too bad he turned out to be such a mess of a guy. he had a real chance of saving us from Christine Quinn, so he blew it for himself and for all of us who do not want to see Quinn win. she is in bed with the nyc real estate industry and is a phony baloney. she is probably more corrupt than weiner and in a much more insidious way.

August 13, 2013 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  19. Pepou27

Bloomberg for a 4th term please !

August 13, 2013 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  20. Joe Nobody

The funny thing will be when New Yorkers elect this guy.

August 13, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  21. Dave

@Boo, only IF the NYC liberal voters actually vote appropriately.

August 13, 2013 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  22. bankrupt1

being associated with clintons probably hurt your wife more. but maybe you too. depends on what that was all about.

August 13, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  23. Michael

Character is what you do when nopbody's looking. This guy as demonstrated, over and over, what his (lack of) character really is. If NY votes im back into office, they deserve what they get.

August 13, 2013 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  24. E sharky

the only people who care about AW seem to be CNN, and MSNBC. I am pretty sure the rest of the world has moved on; although CNN may need the ratings I doubt anyone outside of the die hard left care much about AW any more

August 13, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. CarlosDangerous

Oh please do just go away.

August 13, 2013 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |