August 12th, 2013
8 months ago

Anthony Weiner's interview: The top moments

(CNN) – Anthony Weiner's run for New York City mayor has been one of the most watched - and most controversial - campaigns in the country. Weiner passed on a beer, but he sat for a live question-and answer session hosted by BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith in a "BuzzFeed Brews" event that was livestreamed exclusively on the "CNN BuzzFeed" channel on YouTube.

In the wide-ranging interview, Weiner talked about the effect his sexting scandal had on his wife's career and weighed in on his therapy sessions. He also dropped a hint about Hillary Clinton's plans for 2016.

1) 'It's hurt her professionally'

Smith: Is Huma still working on the campaign?

Weiner: She's helping out every day

Smith: Do you know what her role in Hillary's 2016 campaign is going to be?

Weiner: I do.

Smith: What will it be?

Weiner: I'm not telling you.

Smith: Do you feel like you've damaged her place in that world?

Weiner: I feel that what I've done has hurt her, yeah. It's hurts her professionally. It's hurt her personally. We made a decision that these things were behind us and we made a calculated gamble on the question of whether or not citizens would be more interested in their family's future than in my personal failings that are behind me. She's gotten roughed up and it's been completely unfair in my view.

PHOTOS: Photos: Who is Weiner's wife?

Smith: She had been, until probably last week, kind of the point of entry if you wanted to get something from Hillary or work with Hillary. Is she going to return to that?

Weiner: You'd have to ask her.

2) What about Snapchat?

Smith: The one question that actually I get most from BuzzFeed staff and the Internet was why not use Snapchat?

Weiner: I don't have a good answer to that.

3) Still in therapy

Smith: Are you back in therapy?

Weiner: Apparently you never go out of therapy, they just have this thing where you just remain in forever, but I still see a therapist sometimes.

Smith: Weekly? More than weekly?

Weiner: I see my therapist when I can. It's tough on the campaign trail.

4) Weiner says he messaged sexting partner in April

Smith: When is the last time you engaged (with Sydney Leathers)? She said April 12 of this year.

Leathers makes her pick for NYC mayor

Weiner: I didn't exchange anything inappropriate with her for going back a year, there were messages that were completely, you know, how are you doing? What do you think of this? I treated her like a friend.

5) Weiner’s possible new digs.

Smith: If elected, are you going to live in Gracie Mansion (the place of residence for mayor of New York)?

Weiner: Hell yeah, of course

Weiner still toward back of pack, according to poll

6) Weiner not a fan of the New York Times

Weiner: The New York Times, wait for it, doesn't want me to win...Their heads are exploding over the idea...I don't have fealty to them. I'm not treating a New York Times endorsement as an end to itself...This is the same people that brought you a third term for Mike Bloomberg. I do not care. And it makes them nuts that I don't care.

Weiner's first TV ad: 'Powerful voices' against him

Smith: Do you think (owner) Arthur Sulzberger has a problem with you?

Weiner: I couldn't pick him out of a line-up. He's alive right? That would be bad if he wasn't. What baseball team owns them?

Smith: Owns the New York Times? I'm not sure which baseball team owns the New York Times. That's a question for the audience.

7) Getting heated on bike lanes

Weiner: I once made a joke, and I said it to Mike Bloomberg, and this was in the height of a lot of the controversy about the bike lanes, I said first thing I was going to do as mayor was hold a press conference tearing out your – this is the internet, right? – tearing out your f***ing bike lanes. And it was a joke. There are good bike lanes and bad bike lanes.

Filed under: Anthony Weiner
  1. Meh

"All I did was have a digital poke at some broad...big deal"
    Quite frankly, who cares anyway...

August 13, 2013 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  2. Olaf Bjornstrand

Not only you hurt your wife, but you have also shown your true brain power. You are not fit to hold public office. Moreover, you`d last less than 15 minutes in the private sector. The reason the public sector`s popularity being so low, is because people like you abound in it.

August 13, 2013 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  3. LBB

The really sad thing about this guy is his child wil be old enough soon to realize who his/ her father is.

August 13, 2013 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  4. who cares

who are you kidding....she probably likes that stuff.....she looks like she would anyway

August 13, 2013 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. works4me

"We made a decision that these things were behind us and we made a calculated gamble on the question of whether or not citizens would be more interested in their family's future than in my personal failings that are behind me. She's gotten roughed up and it's been completely unfair in my view."
    Probably one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. His failings are behind him? Again?? His wife "forgave" him because she wants to be the Mayor's wife...

August 13, 2013 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  6. sosueme

"I hurt my wife." Now that he's admitted that painfully obvious fact, does that make him a good guy?
    Lacks integrity and self control. Not fit for office.

August 13, 2013 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  7. liz

He is an egomaniac who never learns. He needs to remove himself from the NYC election process. His wife needs to wake up and get rid of this low life. She is intelligent and will do well without him. He is a total disgrace to politics and needs to have a job where he willnever be seen again and cannot influence anyone.

August 13, 2013 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  8. steve455

AW is old news. He's a dead candidate, the press should just move on.

August 13, 2013 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  9. DKennedy

Everybody judge. after all, It's the opiate of the people.

Put someone in front of the public.. and watch them pick apart their lives – whether they are kardashians.. or politicians.. or any other media figure. it's like food to us... like some sort of gossip queens we consume these people and make like we are above them. That is until whatever torrid thing we are doing comes out in the paper..

What percentage of people cheat on their significant other?

What percentage of people think about cheating on their significant other?

The Bible states that if you think about committing a sin it's the same thing as committing it.

There are billions of us on this planet.. everywhere you look sex sells – there's a reason for that.. it's our human nature. I hope people learn to stop acting like they are the only ones that are without lust.. I hope they learn we are all human.

August 13, 2013 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. Connie in Tennessee

He's proven that he is not fit for any office. Sure hope the people of New York send him away for life.

August 13, 2013 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  11. kvining

Will this person just go away?

August 13, 2013 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  12. larkwoodgirl

"citizens would be more interested in their family's future" What a hypocrite. To do what he did, how interested could he have been in his own family's future? He's got no place worrying about mine.

August 13, 2013 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  13. MikeInAZ

Save the sob story. You've done it 2 times now. Not very smart.

August 13, 2013 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  14. larkwoodgirl

He is absolutely no moral ground or standing to tell anyone that they should be more interested in their family's future. How much did he really care about his own family's future when he was humiliating them publicly?

August 13, 2013 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  15. Rob

This guy truly lives up to his name. One would have to be a complete idiot to be friends with him, let alone elect him Mayor of even a hick town. Can't stand the guy myself, and I hope the people of NYC have the sense to give him the sound thrashing he deserves. And that goes for Sydney Leathers as well. Next thing you know, she'll be running for the Senate, and win!

August 13, 2013 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  16. roger

This guy blames the public for being more interested in his being a sleaze ball than a good mayor. Question is how can you be a good anything if you're a sleaze ball? He should have thought about that.

August 13, 2013 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  17. joedog

New Yorkers, who even considered voting for this psychopath, think of themselves as "sophisticated"? The Big Apple brand is suffering.

August 13, 2013 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  18. Jon Dough

The nation is desperate for people of character to lead.......... You are below pathetic. Please crawl into a hole and stay there. Give the citizens a break.

August 13, 2013 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  19. missZ

Why waist time and money on doomed to fail campaign? He and his wife are worthy of each other, both lyers both ambitious, staying together in fake marriage/ more like business

August 13, 2013 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  20. Chicago

Don't worry Weiner, Huma is just fine with your need to flash your organ all over the Internet. If she cared at all she'd have been gone after the first time. All she cares about is the power she can gain if you become mayor. She's like a mini-Hillary! No wonder you keep looking for pleasure elsewhere!

August 13, 2013 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  21. adkmtns

Seriously? He just figured that out? Sign of a true narcissist – always about him. Its over AW !!! Just do us a favor and go away . if your wife is smart she will leave you and take her precious child with her – that baby does not deserve to grow up with the shadow of a man like you for a father figure.

August 13, 2013 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  22. Me

he keeps saying he hurt his wife and keeps apologizing to her for doing so, yet he keeps doing the same stuff, over and over and over again. and he is being so untruthful in this interview, it's not even funny. you can see how he is trying to avoid or dodge some questions. if new York votes him in as mayor, they deserve what they get!

August 13, 2013 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  23. bobo

Do you know what her role in Hillary's 2016 campaign is going to be?

Weiner: I do.

Well....There you have it! America.....Do we really want this???

August 13, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  24. Blackhawk

This just in Anthony Weiner will be running for President in 2016! Eric Holder will be on the ticket as well. Weiner Holder for 2016! Or Holder Weiner either way they're made for each other.

August 13, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. nell ryan

He's so obsessed with himself and psychologically disturbed, he makes my laptop cringe. He has ruined his wife's career, choosing to let his favorite organ take priority over her well-being and her professional future.

August 13, 2013 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |