August 12th, 2013
1 year ago

Anthony Weiner's interview: The top moments

(CNN) – Anthony Weiner's run for New York City mayor has been one of the most watched - and most controversial - campaigns in the country. Weiner passed on a beer, but he sat for a live question-and answer session hosted by BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith in a "BuzzFeed Brews" event that was livestreamed exclusively on the "CNN BuzzFeed" channel on YouTube.

In the wide-ranging interview, Weiner talked about the effect his sexting scandal had on his wife's career and weighed in on his therapy sessions. He also dropped a hint about Hillary Clinton's plans for 2016.

1) 'It's hurt her professionally'

Smith: Is Huma still working on the campaign?

Weiner: She's helping out every day

Smith: Do you know what her role in Hillary's 2016 campaign is going to be?

Weiner: I do.

Smith: What will it be?

Weiner: I'm not telling you.

Smith: Do you feel like you've damaged her place in that world?

Weiner: I feel that what I've done has hurt her, yeah. It's hurts her professionally. It's hurt her personally. We made a decision that these things were behind us and we made a calculated gamble on the question of whether or not citizens would be more interested in their family's future than in my personal failings that are behind me. She's gotten roughed up and it's been completely unfair in my view.

PHOTOS: Photos: Who is Weiner's wife?

Smith: She had been, until probably last week, kind of the point of entry if you wanted to get something from Hillary or work with Hillary. Is she going to return to that?

Weiner: You'd have to ask her.

2) What about Snapchat?

Smith: The one question that actually I get most from BuzzFeed staff and the Internet was why not use Snapchat?

Weiner: I don't have a good answer to that.

3) Still in therapy

Smith: Are you back in therapy?

Weiner: Apparently you never go out of therapy, they just have this thing where you just remain in forever, but I still see a therapist sometimes.

Smith: Weekly? More than weekly?

Weiner: I see my therapist when I can. It's tough on the campaign trail.

4) Weiner says he messaged sexting partner in April

Smith: When is the last time you engaged (with Sydney Leathers)? She said April 12 of this year.

Leathers makes her pick for NYC mayor

Weiner: I didn't exchange anything inappropriate with her for going back a year, there were messages that were completely, you know, how are you doing? What do you think of this? I treated her like a friend.

5) Weiner’s possible new digs.

Smith: If elected, are you going to live in Gracie Mansion (the place of residence for mayor of New York)?

Weiner: Hell yeah, of course

Weiner still toward back of pack, according to poll

6) Weiner not a fan of the New York Times

Weiner: The New York Times, wait for it, doesn't want me to win...Their heads are exploding over the idea...I don't have fealty to them. I'm not treating a New York Times endorsement as an end to itself...This is the same people that brought you a third term for Mike Bloomberg. I do not care. And it makes them nuts that I don't care.

Weiner's first TV ad: 'Powerful voices' against him

Smith: Do you think (owner) Arthur Sulzberger has a problem with you?

Weiner: I couldn't pick him out of a line-up. He's alive right? That would be bad if he wasn't. What baseball team owns them?

Smith: Owns the New York Times? I'm not sure which baseball team owns the New York Times. That's a question for the audience.

7) Getting heated on bike lanes

Weiner: I once made a joke, and I said it to Mike Bloomberg, and this was in the height of a lot of the controversy about the bike lanes, I said first thing I was going to do as mayor was hold a press conference tearing out your – this is the internet, right? – tearing out your f***ing bike lanes. And it was a joke. There are good bike lanes and bad bike lanes.

Filed under: Anthony Weiner
  1. Jack M

A poor excuse for a man.

August 13, 2013 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  2. Phillips

Anthony Weiner will be an excellent mayor. His qualifications, background and character make him the best choice. Once Hilliary Clinton endorses him publicly, he will recover.

August 13, 2013 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  3. ritmocojo

Anthony Weiner is actually a GOP operative planted within NYC Demos.

August 13, 2013 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  4. saul

You are a disgraceful Jew. You certainly are named right,you are the biggest,ugliest weiner I ever saw. You are a very sick puppy.

August 13, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  5. Clarke

"I hurt my wife". No kidding , did you just come to that. You embarrassed you family, your friends and your self. Yourson can read about it, later in life, so you can relive it all again. You did a stupid, stupid thing, you gave it all up for dirty words. There are many a men out there who do the same thing, but so far they have not gotten caught.

August 13, 2013 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  6. Laz

Here's how the interview went: "I'm garbage. Yea, just a piece of trash. I haven't told the truth in years. Yup, being a politician is pretty much the only thing that would ever work for a guy like me. Sheesh, I never thought she'd find out. Since she did, I apologized. Can't figure out why that didn't make everything better. So ... When can I move into that mansion?"

August 13, 2013 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  7. RanLo

Freak! Just a Freakin' Creep!

August 13, 2013 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. francine

You hurt your wife once and promised never to do it again. And then you hurt her again. Shame on you and shame on New Yorkers if they vote for him. He lied to her , he can certainly lie to New Yorkers.

August 13, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  9. Jack in Florida

As a former New Yorker, he embarrasses me. Such a loser. Come on New York, you can do much better!!!

August 13, 2013 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  10. abahry2013

You need therapy, you sick, and you make other person sick; you can not do a job as mayor. Quit if you still have a dignity.

August 13, 2013 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  11. Smitty

You're all a bunch of prudes. If his wife is ok with it, how is it our business? I would still vote for him.

August 13, 2013 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  12. Lord Toronaga

I like him. He's got my vote. These days it's nice to see a man who actually likes women. His texting didn't hurt anyone. His wife is fine. Get over the hate; bigots.

August 13, 2013 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  13. dl

Penis obsession for normal boys usually ends after the age of 17...

August 13, 2013 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  14. John Jingle

What a loser.

August 13, 2013 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  15. Jack

Now people are bigots for being opposed to a serial digital flasher? Wow, way to cheapen the term.

August 13, 2013 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  16. abby

What's scary to me is that the people of NY will probably elect this sleazeball. Then he can go to "rehab" with the Mayor of San Diego!

August 13, 2013 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  17. dick Delson

You hurt everyone you idiot. Your wife is a great looking woman.

August 13, 2013 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  18. BigBraisOnBrad

Oh no worries Anthony........I'm sure Oscar Meyer won't have a problem with you........

August 13, 2013 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  19. sanjosemike

This guy needs counseling. We don't need another deeply flawed politician. We have enough of them. Most of us are willing to give people a "second chance." But they must do the work first. He needs to put in at least a year in psychological counseling. THEN he can come back and try a political run.

Otherwise, he is just another male ego with a major character defect.

sanjosemike

August 13, 2013 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  20. silverbird21

Anthony, go and play in some quick sand.

August 13, 2013 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  21. mad_russian

First world problems. Who cares.

August 13, 2013 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  22. M. Edward Triefler

You are an embarrassment to your wife, your family, and my religion. Before you do any more damage, especially to your wife and Hillary, give up the race; stay out of the public light and for G-d sake get help.

August 13, 2013 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  23. Lardoggy

Men like this are the ones who make us all look bad,thanks alot LOSER! Your wife,she is as dumb as you are.

August 13, 2013 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  24. critical thinking

One of those few times when a person's last name accurately describes the individual.

What a Weiner !

August 13, 2013 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  25. LouAZ

Great old Bo Diddly Rock-N-Roll tune that has the words,
    Are you hurt ?
    Yea I'm hurt, jus' being here with you !

August 13, 2013 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |