August 12th, 2013
11 months ago

Anthony Weiner's interview: The top moments

(CNN) – Anthony Weiner's run for New York City mayor has been one of the most watched - and most controversial - campaigns in the country. Weiner passed on a beer, but he sat for a live question-and answer session hosted by BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith in a "BuzzFeed Brews" event that was livestreamed exclusively on the "CNN BuzzFeed" channel on YouTube.

In the wide-ranging interview, Weiner talked about the effect his sexting scandal had on his wife's career and weighed in on his therapy sessions. He also dropped a hint about Hillary Clinton's plans for 2016.

1) 'It's hurt her professionally'

Smith: Is Huma still working on the campaign?

Weiner: She's helping out every day

Smith: Do you know what her role in Hillary's 2016 campaign is going to be?

Weiner: I do.

Smith: What will it be?

Weiner: I'm not telling you.

Smith: Do you feel like you've damaged her place in that world?

Weiner: I feel that what I've done has hurt her, yeah. It's hurts her professionally. It's hurt her personally. We made a decision that these things were behind us and we made a calculated gamble on the question of whether or not citizens would be more interested in their family's future than in my personal failings that are behind me. She's gotten roughed up and it's been completely unfair in my view.

PHOTOS: Photos: Who is Weiner's wife?

Smith: She had been, until probably last week, kind of the point of entry if you wanted to get something from Hillary or work with Hillary. Is she going to return to that?

Weiner: You'd have to ask her.

2) What about Snapchat?

Smith: The one question that actually I get most from BuzzFeed staff and the Internet was why not use Snapchat?

Weiner: I don't have a good answer to that.

3) Still in therapy

Smith: Are you back in therapy?

Weiner: Apparently you never go out of therapy, they just have this thing where you just remain in forever, but I still see a therapist sometimes.

Smith: Weekly? More than weekly?

Weiner: I see my therapist when I can. It's tough on the campaign trail.

4) Weiner says he messaged sexting partner in April

Smith: When is the last time you engaged (with Sydney Leathers)? She said April 12 of this year.

Leathers makes her pick for NYC mayor

Weiner: I didn't exchange anything inappropriate with her for going back a year, there were messages that were completely, you know, how are you doing? What do you think of this? I treated her like a friend.

5) Weiner’s possible new digs.

Smith: If elected, are you going to live in Gracie Mansion (the place of residence for mayor of New York)?

Weiner: Hell yeah, of course

Weiner still toward back of pack, according to poll

6) Weiner not a fan of the New York Times

Weiner: The New York Times, wait for it, doesn't want me to win...Their heads are exploding over the idea...I don't have fealty to them. I'm not treating a New York Times endorsement as an end to itself...This is the same people that brought you a third term for Mike Bloomberg. I do not care. And it makes them nuts that I don't care.

Weiner's first TV ad: 'Powerful voices' against him

Smith: Do you think (owner) Arthur Sulzberger has a problem with you?

Weiner: I couldn't pick him out of a line-up. He's alive right? That would be bad if he wasn't. What baseball team owns them?

Smith: Owns the New York Times? I'm not sure which baseball team owns the New York Times. That's a question for the audience.

7) Getting heated on bike lanes

Weiner: I once made a joke, and I said it to Mike Bloomberg, and this was in the height of a lot of the controversy about the bike lanes, I said first thing I was going to do as mayor was hold a press conference tearing out your – this is the internet, right? – tearing out your f***ing bike lanes. And it was a joke. There are good bike lanes and bad bike lanes.

Filed under: Anthony Weiner
  1. CDavid

Regarding an endorsement from The NY Times, he said:: " And it makes them nuts that I don't care."

Yeah, the editorial board is really bothered by Weiner's supposed lack of indifference to their mayoral endorsement. This megalomaniacal idiot needs to go away. For a long time. Now.

August 13, 2013 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  2. sassafras

If I were Hillary, I wouldn't want Huma and the baggage she brings to my campaign. Yes, Huma is her own person and an honorable one in her own right. But, Huma made her choices, choices that could hurt Hillary and certainly distract what from what her campaign is all about. Needs the Wieners like a hole in the head.

August 13, 2013 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  3. Anonymous

Hey my friend told me there is a job opening on gas station as store clerk I think that is the only job you are eligible to do now.

August 13, 2013 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  4. DRJJJ

If your own wife don't trust ya, we don't either! Go find another job in the private sector! Yes, Bill Clinton got away with sex in the White house with an employee, lied about and kept his job, but we're tired of dishonesty and poor morals/ethics now-turn on the news! We're after leaders with honesty, decent morals/ethics with best practices-or should be !

August 13, 2013 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  5. Anonymous

This article is a joke

August 13, 2013 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  6. Joan

Anthony!!!! Did anyone ever suggest that you just sit down and close your mouth!!! Go read a book! Go out and play!!!!
    Be quiet!!! Have you tried Meditation????

August 13, 2013 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  7. jon smutter

this guy doesnt deserve to work at McDonalds he is a BUM !!!!

August 13, 2013 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. Insane Dude

I’m just hoping NY is smart enough not to elect this guy. He really needs to go home and focus on his family.

August 13, 2013 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  9. Anonymous

'I hurt my wife'....uhhhh, ya think ? It's about time you started thinking about someone else not named Anthony Weiner....and for God's sake pal, get out of the limelight....

August 13, 2013 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  10. wade moran

That's what she said!

August 13, 2013 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  11. Ruth

This guy really needs to stop talking. Every time he opens his mouth, people like him less and less. He has no chance at being mayor of NY. His wife is happy playing the role of a doormat but we just don't want to hear about it anymore. He is old news and his career is definitely over now. People don't really care that he cheats on his wife, people care that he is a liar and has no moral. Non one wants a liar and a cheat running a big city like NY but he will never understand that.

August 13, 2013 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  12. Phillips

Anthony Weiner is what NYC needs and is the right man at the right time. Anthony Weiner will bring respect, honor, dignity and decency to the office and has the charm and charisma, which is lacking in the other candidates. A vote for Anthony Weiner is a vote for family values and high moral standards.

August 13, 2013 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  13. Even Steven

Perhaps Weiner should pull out of the race and sell hot dogs. He apparently does not understand how the voting public thinks. You don't have to "convince" voters like you are selling them crappy furniture or used cars; rather, a really good candidate moves people forward by identifying with the PEOPLE who vote and the lives they lead. I think he comes off as a used car salesweasel instead of being a sincere man with integrity. Hmmm....integrity – there's a word you don't hear too often from New York City!

August 13, 2013 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  14. DB

He should have drank that beer before doing this interview.

August 13, 2013 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  15. jjj

go away already

August 13, 2013 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  16. Just

Why can't this bozo and the San Diego loser fade into the wind...and now.

August 13, 2013 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  17. Ehsan

Moral of the story: Sexting is not good for your future....

August 13, 2013 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  18. TomGI

I don't care if he runs or not. That's a burden the voters of NYC have to deal with. I don't live there so "comme ci, comme ça"

August 13, 2013 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  19. mason jar sister

'it hurt my wife'; first honest thing he has said. Now your wilfe will divorce you after you lose, and move onto full time with hill and lick her rim during the campaign.......

August 13, 2013 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  20. Carlos Danger

New mascot for Oscar Myer.

August 13, 2013 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  21. R. White

Any therapy less than 3 times a week is a waste of time. So it looks like Mr. Weiner is just going to therapy once in a while to make it look like he really wants to stop his sick behavior, when in fact, he cant wait to get back to it when the heat is off.

August 13, 2013 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  22. kittywaymo11

"I wish I were an Oscar Meyer wiener, that is what I really want to be! and if I were an Oscar Meyer wiener,i'd join the Democrats and you could dirty text with me!" A Weiner , composer.

August 13, 2013 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  23. Mark

Just seems the man has no shame; even if I were so careless as to put myself in that position in the first place (let alone again and again), I would hope I would be more concerned about repairing the damage that I did to my family than thinking I could regain the public trust and run again.

August 13, 2013 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  24. Anonymous

This guy is so unintentional funny! He is clueless! I really really hope he gets elected. Just for my own bemusement!

August 13, 2013 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  25. dan

I wouldn't want my worst enemy to be associated with this kind of jerk. I certainly wouldn't want him in any public office.
    If he cares so little about his wife, other women and public opinion, he does not belong in politics.
    Just flush him away.