Who is eligible to run for president?
August 13th, 2013
12 months ago

Who is eligible to run for president?

Washington (CNN) – While the issue of President Barack Obama's birth has long been settled, and it's a moot point anyway since he's in his second term in office, there remain some people who won't be convinced.

Just ask members of Congress, who even this summer are encountering so-called "birthers" at town hall meetings.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2016 • President Obama • Ted Cruz
  1. Wake up People!

I get it now.... It's ok because Cruz looks like one of "them".

August 13, 2013 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  2. Larry in Houston

@tom I . . . if u don't think 'ol cruz isn't white, then may I ask you who IS white in America ? lol Do u think people that only has roots from Scotland / England/ Ireland / the Dutch / Netherlands / Switzerland / is only "white" ? Surely you jest. Either that, or you've got some marbles missing. . . Have you ever looked at resume's ? or have you ever looked at applications ? at a lot of places ? Don't you understand or have ever seen what they ask on the app ? Let me remind you. They typically ask if that person is : Indian / Hispanic / African American /

August 13, 2013 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. Boomer in Mo

Deported, not exported. Brain went to sleep apparently.

August 13, 2013 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  4. The Real Tom Paine

-just saying

LarryR – There is a segment of our populace who are just plain bat poop crazy.

proven absolutely to be fact by the re-election of the worse president in our history.
    ****************************
    Yes, that places you right up there with Ricky McDaniel, who only topped your absurd claim by going on to say "... Obama is the worst President since Lincoln". He went on to accuse Lincoln of starting the Civil War, and that the recent desecration of the Licoln Memorial was indicative of people reaccessing Lincoln, not the act of a mentally ill person ( which it was). I have to say, Just Sayin, that you are catching up to Ricky in the loopy-comments-with-no-facts-to-back-up-your idiot-claims department. Contemporary opinions of presidents rarely hold, Truman and Harding being the best examples. Your opinions are just that, opinions, with no basis in fact, only a horribly skewed perspective and an unwillingness to accept any ideas other than those that provide you with affirmation of existing beliefs.

August 13, 2013 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  5. Rick McDaniel

Actually, almost anyone. Including Cruz.

August 13, 2013 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  6. S.B. Stein

It is interesting that there is a 14 year requirement to have lived in the US beyond the being natural born citizen and over 35 years old. So, the question is: does a US military base count as part of the US like an embassy? If that is the case, then there are people who should be counted as natural born.

August 13, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  7. Sniffit

"Larry in Houston

@tom I . . "

To be fair to Tom, he was pointing out that, in the technical sense, Cruz isn't "white" in terms of meaning "Caucasian" or "anglo saxon" or whatever. He just failed to note that to the undereducated, drooling, seething mass of bigots in this country, which spewed forth from the GOP anthill upon election of a black man as POTUS, they simply don't give a crap beyond the color of the person's skin. If they "look" white, then that's usually good enough for them to be considered "white." I'm willing to bet you a poll would quite convincingly turn up a majority of Americans who don't even know that Cruz is Cuban...or who pick "white" off a multiple choice list...and I'm certain it would indicate nothing more than random guess chance if they were asked what his other parent was. He's "white" because that's what these people can SEE.

August 13, 2013 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  8. just saying

oh, so this is how the leftist democrats are going to smear cruz, a latino. by calling him a white guy so minorities will not consider him. not that minorities vote based on race of course because we all know that simply never ever happens!

August 13, 2013 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  9. The Real Tom Paine

-just saying

****************
    It must be hard to think and move when your "logic" keeps tying you up like a pretzel.

August 13, 2013 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  10. tom l

@Sniffit
    "You having trouble with your color vision? Do you really think the people I'm talking about give a flying rats pink patoot what lies under the skin tone? If I meant Caucasian or anglo or whatever, I'd say it. I said white because I meant white. Dude doesn't even really have all that much of a tan for someone from TX. He "passes" for these people, get it?"

So what you're telling me is that YOU simply go by the way someone looks. Yep, you are the racist that I always thought you were. His last name is CRUZ. His father is from Cuba. Those are the facts. I can't even believe how disgustingly racist you really are. You are the one making assumptions. I noticed in my long diatribe that you never once addressed the issue you have. I think I would like to refer to you as P.D. (Paula Dean) Sniffit from now on.

August 13, 2013 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. Winston Smith

Let the creep run. Set a president for future generations. He's not qualified, nor will he win. But let the tea trolls fan the flame of change. It always seems to be about change if it serves a purpose to a special group. God, knows they are special.

August 13, 2013 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  12. Kinard

The people that would vote for him have their heads lodged somewhere between a hemorrhoid, and a polyp. Let the morons have their candidate, then keep track of the voting. Make sure all I.D.'s are checked so those making this choice can be deported.

August 13, 2013 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |