August 16th, 2013
1 year ago

NSA broke privacy rules 'thousands of times each year,' report says

(CNN) - The NSA broke privacy rules "thousands of times each year" since 2008, The Washington Post reported Thursday, citing an internal audit and other documents.

Material was provided to the newspaper this summer by National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden.

FULL STORY

Filed under: NSA
  1. gahh

This goes back to 2008, sounds like Obama took up where Boy George, left off. As hard as you try, you can't blame Obama for everything.

August 16, 2013 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  2. Lynda/Minnesota

@Steveo

My two oldest grandchildren (twelve hours apart, but that is a story for a different day) were born shortly before Bush declared war in Iraq. Indeed, my daughter and I (along with my six month old grandson) were on our way home from Germany the day Bush invaded Iraq. War is ALL my grandchildren understand. It angers me ... it saddens me ... and yet we as a nation are now surprised that we are being "spied" on? I think not. Whether it be corporations or the government, both have been spying on us for decades.

I don't much care for how my grandchildren are being forced to grow in this type of environment. That being said ... I would rather they at least have a chance at normalcy and adulthood ... spied upon or not.

August 16, 2013 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  3. Steveo

@Lynda/Minnesota

@Steveo
    Whether it be corporations or the government, both have been spying on us for decades. War is ALL my grandchildren understand. It angers me ... it saddens me ... and yet we as a nation are now surprised that we are being "spied" on?
    --------
    I agree with you but that is NOT how this country was formed!

August 16, 2013 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  4. Steveo

@Sniffit

"I see people are invoking Reagan and Bush. Question, is the NSA spying on us TODAY? Who is in charge, TODAY? "

And yet again, you say something like this after trying to put blame for the Sequester solely on Obama for having suggested it, ignoring all that took place in the GOP-controlled House to make it a reality and the comments GOP leadership made saying how much they loved it? It appears convenience motivates your analyses.
    ------–
    ONE MORE TIME: BOTH parties have done this! Instead of acknowledging Obama's role, you reply with Bush! We all know the GOP's role, How about acknowledging the DEM's role? Better yet how about just acknowledge the role that BOTH parties have played and are still playing?

August 16, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  5. PaulG

As Americans, our own government is the biggest threat to our freedoms.

August 16, 2013 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  6. Lynda/Minnesota

"I agree with you but that is NOT how this country was formed!"

Indeed. Buggies and horse drawn carts are a thing of the past.

August 16, 2013 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  7. Fair is Fair

Malory Archer

And they weren't doing it prior to 2008. Yeah, and maybe a monkey will fly out of my backside.
    ------
    Senator Obama was outraged. President Obama is cool with it.

August 16, 2013 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  8. Just a thought

Steveo said,--–
    You are correct, we said nothing! We also re-elected these same folks! So, in a sense, we agreed with them! As far as voting in 2016, I need to see who is running and I need to hear platforms. I just have the sneaking feeling that regardless of who runs, not much will change!
    ===========
    Squishy Squishy, you hold about the same strength in your positions as does damp toilet paper. If you know study the ideology of the parties, the arguments stated, the expressed direction of government they propose, then you can make an informed decision. This straddling the fence and waiting until "someone"/"anyone" shows up the flavor of the day ideas, leaves you in the position of "head nodder" only to complain later "both sides do it" Yeah, we get that...but come on dude ...you are allowed a position if the sun will come up tomorrow, instead of saying I'll make a decision when and if that happens....Pathetic

August 16, 2013 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  9. Steveo

@Just a thought

Steveo said,––
    ===========
    --------
    That line would work if I voted strickly party! I don't! I have voted for Bush and I voted for Clinton too! You also fail to acknowledge not everybody in a party 100% agrees with the full party line! That is why we have moderates! Sorry I did not impress you but that was never my goal in the first place!

August 16, 2013 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  10. Tony

Steveo, I see that you are now focusing on who is carrying out a NSA program that was put in place, apparently with bipartisan support and court supervision, in the Bush administration. Do you blame the person who came up with the idea AND got the program up and running, or the person who is carrying out the program? Who deserves MORE blame?

August 16, 2013 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |