2016 scrutiny: A blessing and curse for Christie
August 20th, 2013
8 months ago

2016 scrutiny: A blessing and curse for Christie

Washington (CNN) - Charging out of last week's Republican National Committee meeting in Boston, Chris Christie's message was clear: The party needs to ditch fights over ideology and get back to winning elections.

"I am in this to win," the New Jersey governor told establishment Republicans. "I am going to do anything I need to do to win."

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2016 • Chris Christie
  1. Marie MD

Sorry bulky boy, but your party's NOT going anywhere for a long long time. At least not on general elections.
    You are a bunch of right wing change history as it happens news crazy to suit your needs.
    Completely out of control and the more the teatrolls speak the less votes you will receive.
    I meant to write bully boy but it's so him I am leaving it is.

August 20, 2013 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  2. Tom

The big challenge facing Christie is predicting the thinking of the majority of Republicans in 2016. It's pretty clear the Republican party is on the brink of civil war with the Tea Party wanting to pull the party dramatically to the right and more moderate voices wanting to make the party more inclusive and less crazy. If the Tea Party wins the fight, Christie is toast for 2016. If moderation prevails, Christie has the opportunity to emerge as the leader of a restructured Republican party. Christie needs to choose his positions carefully and stick with them. If he goes the way of Mitt Romney - waffling and backtracking every time the Tea Party complains, he's going to lose.

August 20, 2013 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  3. steve

The problem is you can't win and hold the views of the current Republican party. Of course you can always lie more!!

August 20, 2013 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  4. Dixie

Christie is an interesting man. I wish more people were like him. He at least wants to work with others for the good of NJ. Why can't we have more like him? I have always gone by the" I don't have to like you to work with you" moto. I may not agree with everything you do or say but we should be able to work things out. I will keep watching him and if he does run for POTUS it will be interesting.

August 20, 2013 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  5. Name jk. Sfl. GOP conservatives,the garbage of America.

The GOP message is clear, you don't have a message or healthcare or anything else to offer except criticism of Obama even if offer a republican idea, oh , wait a minute , he did, obamaromney care?????

August 20, 2013 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  6. Gurgyl

He has to change the party. GOP has bad rapport.

August 20, 2013 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  7. rs

I hate to say it- as much as I find it fun to watch the Republican implosion, I think they really need to look at opening the 2016 election (and candidates) up to scrutiny 3 + years out may well backfire.

Really, how many of their candidates will still stand up to THAT much scrutiny? How will they deflect their complete lack of record for the past 5 years? How will they defend doing NOTHING in the face of what they left this nation with in 2008? How will they respond to the obvious recovery in America, now that unemployment is back to '07 levels; housing is back up, wages are up, the Stock Market is back- all WITHOUT their help? Will they reign in the crazies, or will they let their freak flags fly? Clearly Christie at the moment represents their best hope for a more via media candidate- but should they follow the wackiness of Paul, or the hard-edged meanness of Cruz, or the fascist Santorum, they'll lose. Big.

August 20, 2013 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  8. Winston Smith

He's the only republican that could be considered electable. The rest are candidates for a head shrink session. Think I'm kidding? Just pay attention to what they say, and their facial expressions while they say it. Spooky.

August 20, 2013 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  9. Randy, San Francisco

Gov Christie is ignoring reality. He can't pass right wing Tea Party purity tests.

August 20, 2013 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  10. GI Joe

Why elect him Gov. if he is going to spend the next 3 years running for Pres? Save your time and money and get a new Gov that will work for NJ.

August 20, 2013 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  11. Just a thought

@Dixie

yes Dixie, interesting like a rash. Have you no clue that the GOP/Tea party faithful are only interested in promoting hateful faux news idiocy? Interesting (Not)

August 20, 2013 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  12. Jinx9to88

Christie is a puppet and a show for the GOP. You can tell he did not want to back that Republican senate candidate that is competing against Booker. The reason why he is as popular with Dems is because him and Booker are or were good friends. He is in a Democratic state and he backed a Republican, I bet his favorability rating drops a few percentage point.

August 20, 2013 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  13. S. B. Stein

Is Christie really going to do anything to win? I think that he is capable of doing anything to get his way even if it isn't 100% honest and above board.

August 20, 2013 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  14. MaryM

Gov Christie is the only republican that has a chance at the White House and the teapublicans hate him.

August 20, 2013 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  15. Woman In California

---
    Spoken like a true thug. When he says anything, he means it, including bashing someone's head into the wall, breaking a few knee caps and insulting anyone and everyone who has the "gall" to ask him any questions about it. The man has absolutely no manners and no diplomacy skills whatsoever. Can you imagine Christie (representing this country) while being photographed with dignitaries at dinners, parties, etc.? I can't and I don't want to.

No thanks Governor. Just keep working on your weight out of the view of the public.

August 20, 2013 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  16. Thomas

He see's the white house and he can taste it !

August 21, 2013 03:10 am at 3:10 am |
  17. Cephus

You wonna win big boy? then do the right thing otherwise you will just turn to be another Mitts. And by the way stick to your principles without appeasing no one.

August 21, 2013 06:10 am at 6:10 am |