GOP Rep: Impeaching Obama 'would be a dream come true'
August 21st, 2013
8 months ago

GOP Rep: Impeaching Obama 'would be a dream come true'

(CNN) – Evidence of wrongdoing is about the only thing stopping Republican Rep. Kerry Bentivolio from attempting to impeach President Barack Obama, he told voters Monday.

In a YouTube video first reported by the liberal-leaning website Mediaite, Bentivolio responded to a woman during a Q&A session that "if I could write that bill and submit it," he said, moving to impeach Obama "would be a dream come true."

The first-term Representative from Michigan's 11th district was asked who would do something "to stop this runaway train that we have in the White House," by an unnamed woman off-screen.

"Who is going to stop Obama from everything that he is doing against our Constitution? He needs to be stopped," the woman said.

Bentivolio answered that he had looked at means to impeach Obama, saying "I feel your pain," particularly after hearing Obama speak at an unnamed event.

"I stood 12 feet away from the guy and listened to him. And I couldn't stand being there," Bentivolio, a former Santa Claus impersonator, teacher and reindeer farmer.

"But because he is president, I have to respect the office."

According to Bentivolio, who sits on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, he consulted attorneys. "These are lawyers, PhDs in history, I said; tell me how can I impeach the President of the United States."

The response, Bentivolio said, was that he needed evidence. While he didn't name any specific charges, the potential evidence he cited would be a theoretical email from the White House to the IRS specifically ordering the targeting of conservative groups for scrutiny in their tax exempt status application.

First on CNN: FEC Republican tells CNN of new IRS links

Despite ongoing Congressional scrutiny, no proof has yet emerged that the White House ordered any extra IRS scrutiny of conservative groups.

"Until we have evidence, you're going to become a laughing stock if you submitted a bill to impeach the president," Bentivolio said.

The idea of impeaching Obama has come up several times recently, including when Republican Rep. Blake Farenthold told his Texas constituents that the House of Representatives "could probably get the votes" to impeach Obama.

Unlike Bentivolio, Farenthold did not name any specific wrongdoing he would charge Obama with, although he did caution that a failed attempt at impeachment would do more harm than good.

As he closed out his remarks, Bentivolio said that the most corrupt institution in Washington was not the president but in fact the media, contrasted to Congress, whom he said were typically honest.

"Every congressman I've had, well at least on my side of the aisle, has been very straight and forward," Bentivolio said.

Filed under: Michigan • President Obama
  1. anotherGDlefty

Guess what sir...you already are laughingstocks.
    Doing nothing but holding votes to repeal Roe and the ACA is what you jokes are all about.
    Forget 2016, we as Americans need to deal with guys like this in 2014.

August 21, 2013 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  2. O'drama ya Mama

I think everyone with the idea of impeachment without reason should be impeached. They were not hired by the people to look for wrong doing they were hired to write laws.

August 21, 2013 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  3. jinx9to88

After what Bush/Cheney did while in office, impeaching Obama would be impossible. So good luck with that GOP. LMAO!! Good one though.

August 21, 2013 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  4. ProudDem

Holy ****. So you dream of impeaching the guy...just gosh darn it you can't find any reason to. Makes TOTAL sense.

August 21, 2013 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  5. Jim Hahn

Can you say RACIST: "And there are some people out there, no matter what Obama does; he's still the greatest president they have ever had. That's what you're fighting."

The GOP has stood in the way of almost everything that Obama has been elected to do. The biggest problem the GOP faces is that opposition alone isn't much of a reason to vote for someone.

August 21, 2013 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  6. Tampa Tim

Santa Claus impersonator wants to impeach the president? Talk about living in a fantasy land. No wonder most people think baggers are brain dead.

August 21, 2013 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  7. Data Driven

When your party has nothing left to offer, this is what remains.

August 21, 2013 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  8. jinx9to88

These crazy GOP scrubs is just playing to their crazy base trying to get more money from the stupid people that donate to the GOP. Oh well it's their money they might have better luck winning the lottery then a GOP winning the White House.

August 21, 2013 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  9. wmontanye

LOL a former Santa Claus impersonator, teacher and reindeer farmer. sounds like someone who should be writing laws. He should fit right in with the rest of the GOP...

August 21, 2013 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  10. Jeff Brown in Jersey

The right wing tried to impeach Bill Clinton on nonsense and the entire world watched as our dirty laundry was put out for all to see. These fools don't care about the US. They just HATE "liberals" and people who aren't wealthy donors.

August 21, 2013 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  11. jkane sfl fort myersgop conservatives are the garbage of america=just saying

what else do you need to hear to prove the gop teabags are incompetent losers.

August 21, 2013 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  12. Pete

After seeing what Bush did to our countrys economy,its citizens and its respectability,credibility worldwide and you didn't say impeachment then but now you're going after the man responsible for cleaning up Bushs catastrophes,debacles how delushional and pathedic this Bentivolio is..This is the real trouble with republicans today they can't figure out who is good for this country because as ignorents they voted twice for that imbecile from Texas didn't they !!Come on Bentivolio go for it and after being laughed out of these United States than maybe republicans will start using their heads for other than a hat rack because there's nothing of any substance between thous ears and their actions since Pres.Obamas inaugeration have proved it!!

August 21, 2013 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  13. California Gary

That's right.........if he could just catch him doing something wrong, he'd just love to put that uppity....well, you know.....in his place. Sad that there is such a lack of respect for the POTUS.

August 21, 2013 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  14. PJ

"First termer" Bentiovolio, endorsed by the Tea Party Express, must have been living at the North Pole, doing his
    Santa duties, when GW Bush, et al, abused the Constitution so many times we don't know the full story yet.
    Don't tell me the Tea Party isn't dangerous.

August 21, 2013 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  15. mightyduk

Another clueless sleep in the heard.

August 21, 2013 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  16. Sniffit

In other words: "I want to impeach him even if he hasn't done anything impeachable, and it frustrates the hell out of me that I have to actually wait until he does something impeachable."

August 21, 2013 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  17. the hippies were right

Oh evidence, you just need that silly 'ol evidence stuff. You mean that's it? Then you could impeach Obama? How about some evidence Wall Street screwed us all, you got plenty of that evidence. So when is the first Wall Street hearing?

August 21, 2013 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  18. Sniffit

"the potential evidence he cited would be a theoretical email from the White House to the IRS specifically ordering the targeting of conservative groups for scrutiny in their tax exempt status application. "

a/k/a the elephant in the strawberry patch..."we know it's there because we can't find it...and that proves that it's hiding."

August 21, 2013 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  19. Ken in MO

This guy is sick in the head. I am so shocked that he would say that. If I were a Republican I would be so embarrassed. So he admittted there is nothing to impeach him on. How sick! That entire part has the sickest leaders. They should be ashamed.

August 21, 2013 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  20. Name jk. Sfl. GOP conservatives,the garbage of America.

It's funny to hear this GOP garbage of America stooge calling for impeachment and the brain dead lady goof asking the question, must be a teahage goof and an embarrassment to all voters, GOP losers, good luck in 2014!!!!

August 21, 2013 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  21. Sniffit

""But because he is president, I have to respect the office.""

Which is why I just referred to the President of the United States as "the guy" and said I "couldn't stand listening to him" or standing near him.

August 21, 2013 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  22. 1twinsfan

A true leader would stand up to anyone suggesting impeachment without cause.

August 21, 2013 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  23. Bill

The GOP, continuing its rebranding effort. What a joke.

August 21, 2013 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  24. Lisa P.

With political leaders like Rep. Bentivolio it's no wonder Michigan's economy is in a free fall. Talk about a non-reality based world view!

August 21, 2013 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  25. tired congress

this gop and tea party people is getting out of hand I mean our tax dollars r paying yhem to do nothing I lost my job 1 yr ago working part time the sequester has cut my edd check I have no health inurance had cancer 5 yrs ago and I understand a lot of people dn like the ACA that's fine but do they have a plan I need to know its funny they all have insurance and I'm so tired of Ted Cruz the lies he tells sometimes I'm in tears because he has no soul I need a good job withbenefits could someone pls help me to vote thesr fools out of office I think they should have term limits mcconnell been there 30 yrs enough already but ted cruz is the worse senator I have ever witness

August 21, 2013 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |