Scott Brown won’t run for Massachusetts governor
August 21st, 2013
11 months ago

Scott Brown won’t run for Massachusetts governor

(CNN) – Scott Brown, the former Massachusetts senator who lost his re-election bid last year, won’t run for governor of the state, he wrote on his Facebook page Wednesday.

The Republican, who in addition to floating a gubernatorial bid has suggested he’s open to running for U.S. Senate in New Hampshire, where he owns a vacation home, told followers he wanted to continue growing “personally and professionally.”

“Running for office takes a lot of thought, analysis, money, and sometimes personal sacrifice,” he said. “I have been honored to serve the people of the Commonwealth and this great country in many capacities for almost 20 years. My family and I have been deeply moved and honored by your support, encouragement and well wishes.”

Since leaving Capitol Hill, Brown took a contributor gig at Fox News, has served as a colonel in the Army National Guard's office at the Pentagon, and as an attorney at the Boston law firm of Nixon Peabody.

But in his statement, Brown said he was also enjoying a more relaxed pace than when he was in public office.

“For the first time in 15-plus years, I have had a summer to spend with my family,” he said. “In addition, I have been fortunate to have private sector opportunities that I find fulfilling and exhilarating.”

While Massachusetts governor may be off the table, Brown has also suggested he’s ready to meet voters in important presidential voting states, including Iowa, where he stopped earlier this month.

“I’m going to be coming out more often to try to determine whether there’s an interest in my brand of leadership and Republicanism,” Brown told The Des Moines Register.

CNN’s Kevin Liptak and Ashley Killough contributed to this report.

Filed under: Massachusetts • Scott Brown
  1. i_know_everything

neither am I, where is my story?

August 22, 2013 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  2. Steve Allard

Scott, Thanks for planning to leave Massachusetts. Much appreciated.

August 22, 2013 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  3. MOCaseA

His brand of leadership and "republicanism..." How about you just leave it at leadership and not involve party politics...

August 22, 2013 03:12 am at 3:12 am |
  4. Mabel Schwartz

Mass. voters made it clear they don't want him. Go away, Scottie. Find another line of work.

August 22, 2013 03:25 am at 3:25 am |
  5. Randomarrow

In other words he will continue to sell his influence to rake in the "BIG BUCKS" and keep in the news until a juicy election opportunity presents itself. Step1, Step2; Step1 Step2; .... until he's as rich as Romney.

August 22, 2013 04:17 am at 4:17 am |
  6. akita96th

Another corporate troll looking for some corporation money so he can throw his hat in the ring for the presidency...Nothing new from this turd just more of the same old same old.

August 22, 2013 05:41 am at 5:41 am |
  7. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Brown choked when he ran against Liz Warren and she thumped him. He can't hack it.

August 22, 2013 06:01 am at 6:01 am |
  8. Marie MD

One clown off the bus.
    His kind of "Republicanism" is gone. The teatrolls have been allowed to take over the house mostly thanks to the weeper of the house.

August 22, 2013 06:14 am at 6:14 am |
  9. Name jk. Sfl. GOP conservatives,the garbage of America.

Who would even want to be a republican ???????? Joining a club of idiots and fools that want to cut your soc sec and healthcare and education !!!!!

August 22, 2013 06:45 am at 6:45 am |