In the eye of the cameraman: This takes the cake
August 22nd, 2013
8 months ago

In the eye of the cameraman: This takes the cake

(CNN) - I first started covering the White House beat for CNN in 1988, during President Reagan's last year in office. Ever since then, through all 50 states and 80 different countries, I've followed the man that lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. At most of those presidential events, a local caterer is hired to supply meals for a hungry press corps as we have little time to run to get anything (paid for by the news organizations) and as a result we are well fed.

Most of the time local fare is highlighted. In New Orleans, I have had jambalaya and ribs in Memphis and buffalo wings in Buffalo, New York. Yes, today I am in Buffalo, at the University at Buffalo. It's the first stop of President Obama's two day bus tour through New York and Pennsylvania.

In all my years of covering the President, I've never seen a caterer present a sheet cake like this one pictured here. At lunch, Three Pillars Catering brought out a marbled cake with a welcome message and the Presidential Seal. The decorating alone took them an hour and a half, according to Laurie Richeal of Three Pillars. How'd it taste? While it looked good enough to eat, I stuck to my diet and took a pass… the "road food" covering this beat adds up.

Filed under: White House
  1. ThinkAgain

Obama-haters (incapable of reading) will soon post about how they don't want to be paying for the cake ...

August 22, 2013 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  2. Rudy NYC

The Cake Boss would roll someone's head for putting out a cake like that.

August 22, 2013 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  3. O'drama ya Mama

ThinkAgain

August 22, 2013 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

If i could i would "like" this comment a thousand times

August 22, 2013 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  4. Wake up People!

How long before we see the haters posting.....
    Obama says let them eat cake.

August 22, 2013 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. NC

What a very nice respectful thing to do.

August 22, 2013 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. Rick McDaniel

Obviously they didn't care too much about providing a healthy diet..........just sucking up.

August 22, 2013 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

"How'd it taste? While it looked good enough to eat, I stuck to my diet and took a pass… the "road food" covering this beat adds up."

LOL. Been there, doing that. Boy oh boy, does this cake look delicious.

August 22, 2013 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  8. Lynda/Minnesota

@Wake Up People:

Thank you very much. I think you're rather awesome yourself ... ;-)

And you betcha if (I shudder) we ever get to voter I.D. in Minnesota ... I will be helping get folks to the I.D. counters as fast as they can walk, explaining to them all the way which party put the I.D. law into place, and why.

August 22, 2013 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  9. BuffaloBuffaloBuffaloBuffaloBuffalo

Now, if only they could get the name of the University right – it's University AT Buffalo, not University OF Buffalo...

August 22, 2013 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. PJ

Rick says "obviously they didn't care about providing a healthy diet..........."
    Glad to see you have joined Michelle Obama's campaign for healthier meals, Ricky.

August 22, 2013 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  11. Data Driven

Dog days on the Ticker: miniature golf, ornate cakes, Tweets of "Biden superfans" ...

Congress, please come back!

August 22, 2013 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |