DNC approves Filner resignation resolution
August 23rd, 2013
8 months ago

DNC approves Filner resignation resolution

Updated at 7:01 p.m. ET on 8/23

Washington (CNN) - National Democrats voted unanimously Friday to approve a resolution urging San Diego Mayor Bob Filner to resign, hours before the embattled lawmaker announced he was stepping down from his office under a crush of sexual harassment allegations.

Meeting in Arizona for its summer meeting, the Democratic National Committee addressed the resolution in an afternoon session. The resolution, a draft copy of which was obtained by CNN, called on their fellow Democrat to "face the consequences of his actions, sparing his constituents the embarrassment and expense of a recall election."

Eighteen women have accused the San Diego mayor of inappropriate physical contact and making crude comments

"We will not back down," Donna Brazile, the DNC's vice chair of voter registration and participation, said in an email to CNN. Brazile, who is a CNN political contributor, drafted the resolution.

"We cannot reassure voters that a vote for a Democrat is a vote for a champion for women unless Democrats walk our talk on equality and take firm action in accordance with our values and stand up for women by condemning his behavior and calling on him to immediately resign as Mayor of San Diego," the resolution states.

On Friday, the San Diego City Council accepted Filner’s resignation, which is effective August 30. The council had earlier approved a mediation agreement in the case by a 7-0 closed-door vote

Filed under: California • DNC
  1. Data Driven

Allow to sigh out a "Meh" the size of Jupiter. We're taking care of it down here in Diego, DNC. Thanks, though.

I'm sorry, I'm just jaded about the national Democratic response on Filner. It smacks of fear and CYA. Wanna impress me, Ms. Braille? Proclaim a resolution denouncing the unConstitutional NSA spying program started by Bush but very sadly augmented by Obama. Freedom from search and seizure without a warrant is also a liberal value.

Oh, but that's harder.

August 23, 2013 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  2. Borderless

Thank you, DNC, for doing the right thing. As a San Diegan, I would love for him to stop embarrassing our great city.

August 23, 2013 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  3. Wake up People!

Good. Go away freak. I should live in San Diego, I guarantee there would be a heckuva different story to tell. I bet he'd never touch another woman without her permission again.

August 23, 2013 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  4. The Great Pontificator

I sure hope tax payers don't get saddled into paying his legal costs. Why else is it a "closed session".

August 23, 2013 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  5. Thomas

I'm a San Diegan , and its sad his behavior brought him down , I would like to see a court decide on the allegations , yet the cost the the city would be expensive . It's to bad because Filner did stand up for the city to fight the corrupt big hotels

August 23, 2013 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  6. Rudy NYC

I cannot help but wonder how he would like it if some Old Spice smelling, gray-haired stranger patted him on the backside?

August 23, 2013 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  7. California'cation

TWO WORDS: Recall Election

August 23, 2013 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  8. PEPPY

@Wake up now your threatening Mayors??? , bright move. Im sure hes shaking about as much when your hero oblunder makes a threat !!!!! don't cross this line,, orrr I mean this line, orrrrr no I mean this line.!!!! I think we all get the point, lip service

August 23, 2013 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |