Palin jumps onto defund Obamacare effort
August 27th, 2013
11 months ago

Palin jumps onto defund Obamacare effort

(CNN) – The effort by some Capitol Hill Republicans to wield leverage in upcoming budget battles in order to defund President Barack Obama's health care law gained the backing of Sarah Palin Tuesday.

The former Alaska governor and one-time GOP vice presidential nominee said she was signing on to a petition launched by conservative U.S. senators who say they won't support any measure funding the federal government that includes support for Obamacare.

"Those in the Senate and those seeking to serve there must stand strong against this devastating program before it reveals its true face now recognized by both sides of the aisle as the bureaucratic and economic beast that will deny our families, our businesses, and our sick the ability to access health care," Palin said in a statement distributed by the Senate Conservatives Fund, a grassroots group that is urging lawmakers to sign onto the plan.

Palin said she was signing onto a petition from the group for the defund Obamacare effort. Backed by Senators Ted Cruz of Texas, Mike Lee of Utah, and Marco Rubio of Florida, the effort presses Republican lawmakers to pledge their opposition to any government funding measure that also funds the Affordable Care Act.

"The time for rhetoric and ceremonial votes in Congress is over. The time to take serious action to stop Obamacare is now," Palin wrote.

Many Republicans oppose the tactic, saying even the threat of a government shutdown could alienate voters who are tired of partisan bickering over the nation's finances.

Cruz, in an interview last week with CNN chief political correspondent Candy Crowley, conceded the votes weren't there yet for the plan to succeed. But he predicted a "grassroots tsunami" would lift the plan in the next month.

Palin, who in 2009 stepped down as Alaska governor in the middle of her term, currently acts as a commentator on the Fox News Channel. She told CNN earlier this summer she would definitely hit the campaign trail for fellow Republicans next year.

"Time's-a-wasting. Things are moving really quickly and if we don't get out there and defend this republic then America will be transformed into something we do not recognize," she told CNN.

CNN Political Editor Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: Health care • Sarah Palin
  1. just asking

Lynda/Minnesota
    "What is their plan for helping to look after their fellow Americans?"
    I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing we let the just let them die off natural like.

you do realize that everybody eventually dies right??? no amount of medical treatment can prevent that ending for all of us.

so where have all of the people been that are dying in our streets? they don't exist. hospitals provide care for all seeking it.

so what do the lefties have to say about all of the people that die waiting for medical care in these countries with socialized medicine? 4 months to see a doctor in canada? the bread lines we used to see in the old soviet union will be seen here but it will be for those waiting to see a doctor as the democrats wreck the best healthcare system in the world.

August 27, 2013 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  2. rick7809

If I really wanted to know what a Faux News "personality" has to say about the ACA, then I would watch Faux News.

August 27, 2013 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  3. Moderate Sean

Who cares!!! That is all that needs to be stated when it comes to this crazy person....

August 27, 2013 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  4. Minne Mouse

Has anyone in our government ever considered gathering all of the costs factors figures together before saying a "Yes" vote to anything to make a deal go through by means of landing a signature "Anything". The only people to blame for the passing of "Obamacare" are the ones who voted yes, and now your so surprised as to how much it costs!!

Go figure, like really learn how to do some figures. The "Affordable Care Act" passed in 2010, so why act surprised now that everyone has to do their jobs by finishing a landmark signature that you all passed and now needs to be funded.

Maybe the government needs to be on "Obamacare". If it's good enough for the rest of the country because you all agreed and passed it, then you all should be just fine with it as well.

Why would you even want to take away something that is so great, that is already helping millions of Americans?? Look at all of the children ect.... who are already benefiting from it.

If you want to defund something, then start clearing out all of the wasteful spending. You should be able to find plenty of funds that are wasted. This is where you need to be directing your attention to and not taking away peoples healthcare access ect....

August 27, 2013 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  5. 1twinsfan

GD you, Senator McCain. This is your Frankenstein's monster. BTW, Sarah, it's the law. That's what the majority of those people in the black robes decided. You know, the SCOTUS.

August 27, 2013 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  6. GI Joe

She's trying to do verbally what Miley Cyrus performed on MTV awards.

But that's all she's ever done, so no surprise.

August 27, 2013 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  7. Mark in Seattle

Always "jumping" into something. Wish she'd jump into the icy Alaskan waters and swim far far away. Never to be seen or heard from again.

August 27, 2013 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  8. Econ301

tom l.

I will take the efficiency of business over the beaucracy of govt any day. You can believe in the govt if you want to (as is the norm for liberals who actually think the govt cares abouty you) but I have no faith in the govt. I am in shock that you actually believe the govt cares about you.
    ---------------------–

I don't think the Government Cares about me but hey at least they want my vote.

The efficiently of business will gladly pull the plug on you if they can make a single dollar more by letting you die then they can by keeping you alive. (Live by the sword, die by the sword)

As an economist I'm all for free markets, however I'm not going to lie and suggest that business care about you more then they care about profits. The government doesn't care about profits...

August 27, 2013 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  9. Lynda/Minnesota

@Dominican mama

I now I am grabbing my book, my drink, and my sunscreen ... and heading on out. No T.V. No cable. No internet. Only me, the fish, the birds, the chipmunks (and sundry other four footed creatures) God's green earth (if not already sun scorched), blue water, blue sky, twinkling stars (and satellites), camp fires, bats (ugh), crickets, cicadas, and bull frogs.

Oh, yes ... and sanity.

See you in September.

August 27, 2013 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  10. Donna

MSNBC and NBC are Democrat owned and controlled propaganda machines. Anybody that would suggest otherwise is lying to you and themselves.

August 27, 2013 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  11. GSMITH

Yes, Defund Obama Disaster Care. This is a dangerous Law that must be shredded to pieces. Obama must be impeach for signing this killer of a law.

August 27, 2013 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  12. S.B. Stein

I don't think that we should really be taking this woman seriously. She didn't complete one full term as governor and has clearly no level of expertise other than folksy phrases that have little relevance to educated discussions about most topics.

August 27, 2013 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  13. Econ301

Additionally the efficiency of business is cold and calculating, and cares more about the bottom-line then you as an individual. Your individual desires and dreams can and will be cut short by the cold calculating businessmen if they determine it's not best for the bottom line to take care of you.

Again I'm for free markets, but I'm not about to blow smoke up your ... about how businesses love and respect you as a person and are only interested in doing what's best for you...

August 27, 2013 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  14. Jersey Girl

I don't think the Alaskan Moose-lady has a show on the Faux "News" anymore. Come to think of it, there are a few more talking heads on that channel who should go as well.

August 27, 2013 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  15. Marie MD

What is it CNN? That I called her a screeching mutant from AK?
    Nothing new here or that Lynda/Minnesota has inspired me to make sure voters who can't drive get to their voting place as I will make sure I drive them?

August 27, 2013 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  16. rhamilton

The MSM has brainwashed many Americans into thinking that Congress can "shut down the government". No, it cannot.

ONLY the President can shutdown the government - as Bill Clinton did and Obama is threatening to.

August 27, 2013 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  17. rhamilton

In 2014, how many candidates are going to ask for Mitt Romney's endorsement, or John McCain's, or even Pres. Obama's? All combined the number will be far less than the number who want Sarah Palin's.

August 27, 2013 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  18. Gurgy

Leave this place and go RUSSIA, PLEASE.

August 27, 2013 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  19. Jersey Girl

Sniffit
    To be fair...a male moose is a bull, not a buck, but I couldn't resist.
    ---------
    Doesn't change the matter, the "lady" is still full of bull...............Lol.

August 27, 2013 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  20. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Snooki Palin chimes in. Nobody cares. Same old jibberish from her whenever she speaks. Dumbed down tea potty talking points

August 27, 2013 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  21. Charles

I'm looking at the president dealing with big problems in the middle east and then I look at Cruz, Palin, and the rest of the tea party acting like little children who are starved for attention and it really makes me mad. I don't agree with all of Obama's decisions and I might not agree with how the Syria situation plays out, but the man is doing his job. He is doing what he thinks is best for the American people. These tea party fools make me sick. All they are going to do is slow down the recovery AGAIN.

August 27, 2013 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  22. tea party days are numbered

this just in from fox news, sarah palin and miley cyrus announce world tour together , beginning now.

August 27, 2013 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  23. Thomas

Why is this self absorbed , half term Governor celebrity narcissist relevant in any way regarding health care ?

Welcome to the Tea Party , where you can have a plumber do your dental work .

Rand Paul / Sarah Palin 2016
    Aqua Buddha is more then a Flavor

August 27, 2013 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  24. Michael Benjamin

If $arah's lips are moving her brains is not engaged.

August 27, 2013 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  25. kirk

I must admit, I truly miss her, she spawned some of the best SNL skits ever! She is funny without trying, not exactly my first pick for a politician, but it is the gop.

August 27, 2013 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |