Spitzer's lead vanishes in New York City poll
August 29th, 2013
12 months ago

Spitzer's lead vanishes in New York City poll

(CNN) - Eliot Spitzer's once-commanding lead in the race for New York City's top financial post has disappeared, according to a survey released Thursday.

The onetime New York governor is now tied with his rival, Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer, 46%-46%, according to the Quinnipiac University poll of likely Democratic primary voters.

That's a sharp drop for Spitzer, who led Stringer 56%-37% in a mid-August survey. Since then, Stringer's been endorsed by multiple New York City newspaper editorial boards.

"The entire political and media world has jumped on Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer's bandwagon, helping him poll-vault from 19 points down to dead even in just two weeks," Maurice Carroll, the director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, said Thursday.

Spitzer is making a bid for a political comeback in New York after leaving the state house in shame amid a 2008 prostitution scandal.

Thursday's poll showed equal numbers of men and women supporting Spitzer and Spitzer, while Stringer was ahead among white voters and Spitzer led among blacks. The Democratic primary for New York's municipal races, including for comptroller and mayor, will be held September 10.

The poll was conducted August 22-27 by telephone from 602 likely Democratic primary voters. The sampling error was plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Filed under: Eliot Spitzer • New York • Scott Stringer
  1. Rudy NYC

That has one of the biggest two week jumps that I've ever heard of. Next week's poll will be telling.

August 29, 2013 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  2. Fair is Fair

Someone get the dude on the left a rawhide bone pronto.

August 29, 2013 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  3. ED1

Really you have got to be kidding I thought all of New York were for people like this look at you elected people now.

August 29, 2013 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  4. Lynda/Minnesota

Rudy, I'm curious if you have an opinion on Stringer. I don't know the man and obviously I can't vote in NY, but what is the difference between the two ... discounting Spitzer's past political fallout? Do you know what is causing his unfavorable polling to drop so drastically?

August 29, 2013 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  5. Rudy NYC

Lynda/Minnesota

Rudy, I'm curious if you have an opinion on Stringer.
    ----------------------
    He's pretty much a middle of the road liberal. Borough President is not exactly a position that keeps you in the media, and neither is comptroller. I think either one of them could do a fine job. Spitzer has the edge on experience, while Stringer definitely has the edge on character.

I had had this race figured by who could more charismatic, to which I would have to give the nod to Spitzer. All was good for Eliot until groups started endorsing Stringer, probably because no one wanted to stick their neck out and endorse a walking, talking controversy like Spitzer.

August 29, 2013 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  6. Lynda/Minnesota

I would have given Spitzer the charismatic nod as well. I understand where the endorsement angle would come into play.

Thanks, Rudy.