Obama readies Syria address amid shifting sands
September 10th, 2013
11 months ago

Obama readies Syria address amid shifting sands

Washington (CNN) - What the United States and its allies should do about Syria is taking shape as President Barack Obama prepares to give a prime-time address to the nation, a senior administration official involved in Syria policy said Tuesday.

Consultations are going on with France and others about how to move quickly - at the United Nations and otherwise - to test whether Russia and Syria are serious about a proposal for Damascus to have Syria hand its chemical arsenal over to international control, the official said.

FULL STORY

Filed under: President Obama • Syria
  1. Rudy NYC

I hope that this old man can stay awake long enough to watch it.

September 10, 2013 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  2. Data Driven

Russia's proposal gives Obama an out; he better take it.

Amid all the criticism of the President's handling of this, one does have to wonder if the saber-rattling proved effective after all. We shall see.

September 10, 2013 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:

I've been behind the President on this situation. Because he was right and followed the law. And I truly, truly hope it works out without 1 single American asset having to be used. But to credit him and his administration for THIS potential solution would be the height of blind partisanship.
    --------------
    Presenting the facts is not being partisan. Kerry made this suggestion last week publicly. Denying the facts is openly blatant partisanship on your part. Sorry about the facts not fitting your false narrative.

I second what DM4O said for your son. I pray that he's done and done with wars, too.

September 10, 2013 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  4. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Data Driven

Russia's proposal gives Obama an out; he better take it
    -------------------------------------------------
    Russia had tried to wash it's hands of this entire scenario in regards to their stepchild Syria.
    Kerry touted what Russia later proposed here at home while the President was in St Petersburg. I think the idea is ours. Not Russia's.
    I submit to you that it is highly probable that it is the President allowing that boor Putt-Putt to save face, not the other way around.

September 10, 2013 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  5. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Some of us are conveniently forgetting that the President polled through the roof on foreing policy during the 2012 elections.
    Many of us on this thread quickly agreed saying that it was due not only to how well he'd handled Egypt, and other foreing conflicts but also, and primarily because this was the ONE area where the Republicans COULD NOT interfere.
    His current polls vis-a-vis foreign policy only confirm how myopic and forgetful we are as an electorate.

September 10, 2013 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Hey Rudy! You want me to give you a call?!!
    lol!

September 10, 2013 09:41 am at 9:41 am |
  7. The Real Tom Paine

-Rudy NYC

Fair is Fair wrote:

----–

***********************
    Its not really important who gets the credit, what counts is the result. My nephew just got back from his second deployment, and I hope he's home for a long time before he is called upon to do his duty.

September 10, 2013 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  8. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Pardon my haphazard spelling of "foreign" and the omission of words. Iam at work!!

September 10, 2013 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  9. Phyllis Gwendoline Williams

You have proof of corruption on both sides in Syria, and could possibly be planning to destroy the defense
    of one side. Does that make sense?

September 10, 2013 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  10. Lynda/Minnesota

Oops. Guess I'm not allowed to say that I really don't care who got Assad to agree to give up his Chemical Weapons as long as he DOES give them up. (Well, there was more to that post of mine that didn't get posted ... this is just a test to see which part of my very innocuous comment was considered troubling).

September 10, 2013 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  11. Data Driven

DM4O,

"Here's another scenario Data: Obama, during that pre G-20 meeting, gave Russia an out."

And THAT story has not been told yet, has it? I've read that Obama and Putin spoke privately for about 20 minutes during that meeting - you know that Syria was pretty much the only topic of discussion.

Clearly, some arrangement was tentatively reached. Because Russia's behavior pre-G20 versus post-G20 has been almost diametrically opposed. From gathering warships, to chemical-weapons confiscation. I wonder if Obama said, "Hey Vladimir, take all the credit, if you must. Just tell your guy in Syria to knock it off. We'll throw in some extra wheat exports for you."

September 10, 2013 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  12. Fair is Fair

Data Driven

Russia's proposal gives Obama an out; he better take it.
    ------
    What do you mean, "Russia's proposal"? There are many here who disagree with that statement, myself NOT included.

September 10, 2013 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  13. Dominican mama 4 Obama

@ Data Driven
    -------------------------------------------------
    That does sound more like our President doesn't it Data?!
    I wouldn't doubt it for one second, but like others on this thread have stated, let the Syrians take the credt for all I care just let this work out well for all involved.

September 10, 2013 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  14. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Data Driven
    -------------------------------------------------
    My thoughts exactly.

September 10, 2013 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  15. Data Driven

I just read over my last comment and should amend it to "PROPOSED confiscation" - nothing's happened yet, of course.

Fair, my understanding is that Russia was floating this proposal about "safeguarding" the CWs. Perhaps you and I are misinformed - no surprise, given the generally shoddy job of the press. Who knows what the actual truth is! One thing I doubt, though, is that this was Assad's bright idea.

September 10, 2013 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  16. Scotty

WOW, you liberals sure can spin the tales. Bottom line Putin just outplayed Obama. Your Tin God Obama just got owend. Syria is a big buyer of Russian goods. Russia is goin to do what it can to protect its buyer. Also unless the UN sends Monitors to watchover the transfer of chemical weapons, no one can be sure that Syria will turn over all weapons.

September 10, 2013 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  17. Dominican mama 4 Obama

If "others" were handling this situation we'd need to call in the cartagraphers to remove Syria off the maps of the world...
    Let's be thankful for whom we have at the helm is all I'm saying folks.
    The power of prayer will not be denied.

September 10, 2013 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  18. Rudy NYC

DM4O wrote:

-------------------–
    The Russian "proposal" caught the administration a bit by surprise. Kerry had laid the idea out publicly stateside, while Pres. Obama delivered the same message at the G20. The Russians did not respond privately. Instead, the Russians surprised the administration by responding publicly with a "proposal" that Russia take the leading role in securing the chemical weapons.

September 10, 2013 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  19. Data Driven

@Scotty,

I quite agree that the "monitors" need to be monitored, but everyone's saying that, including our President.

But how is Obama "getting played" here? If the desired outcome is to neutralize the use of CWs, that's a win. If Russia wants to do our bidding, that's a bigger win. And if neutralization can be achieved without raining down Tomahawks, that's the biggest win of all.

Or perhaps I'm talking to one of those who believes whatever they want, regardless of changing facts on the ground, in which case I'm typing in vain.

September 10, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  20. jpmichigan

Will his speech to the American people also include what happened in Benghazi and where was he during the murder of 4 Americans?

September 10, 2013 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  21. vikingwoman

I'm w/those bloggers who don't care who get's the credit, just as long as this issue is resolved peacefully! I also don't get why it's worse to gas people to death than it is to shoot them or blow them to bits! War is ugly & useless no matter what method is used!!

September 10, 2013 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  22. The Real Tom Paine

-Data Driven

@Scotty,

**************
    Look at Scotty's post: your last sentence describes him perfectly.

September 10, 2013 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  23. sifto

liberals are determined to go down with their leader..even if they throw out their own principles...

September 10, 2013 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  24. tiffinS

Trying to spin this as Obama'ss idea is truly truly pathetic... This is how low our expectations have become...

September 10, 2013 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  25. Zoticus

I don't know about the article, but I like the headline. Kudos to whoever's responsible.

September 10, 2013 11:25 am at 11:25 am |