September 13th, 2013
10 months ago

A few drops of criticism for Michelle Obama's new initiative

Updated 9/13/2013 at 1:31pm

Washington (CNN) – The truth about water, first lady Michelle Obama says, is that drinking more can make you healthier. Except some health experts are critical of the advice, arguing that it simply doesn't hold water.

Obama this week was joined by the Partnership for a Healthier America in encouraging Americans to "drink up."

According to a release, the campaign is meant to "remind people that drinking more water helps you have more energy to do more, longer and with better focus."

Not so fast, experts told CNN's "New Day."

"There's no good evidence that drinking extra water is going to lead to a healthier existence," said Dr. Stanley Goldfarb of the University of Pennsylvania.

The White House "decided to sort of support some of these urban myths that have been really debunked over the years," Goldfarb said.

Experts contacted by CNN said that Obama was on the right track but may have missed the mark. Health through hydration is not really about drinking more water for the most part, it's about drinking less soda and other sugary drinks.

Dr. John Dooley of Foxhall Internists had nothing but praise for the first lady's previous health campaign, arguing that it has a lot of science backing it up. The same cannot be said for the "drink up" campaign.

"The claims about extra water itself leading to extra health benefits, that's a bit overstated," Dooley said.

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Mrs. Mom

If you're dehydrated you have less energy, stamina, and mental focus. Many of the beverages we drink are full of sodium and caffeine which do dehydrate us. Go water as beverage of choice and go Michelle.

September 13, 2013 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  2. Tutuvabene

Maybe the "experts" can provide information on what will allow you to do more, longer and with better focus; instead of just being reactionary.

September 13, 2013 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  3. George

What? All these people who can't go anywhere without being enc.umbered with a water container of some sort so they can be sure they stay hydrated are actually not doing themselves any good after all? Did the rest of us roll our eyes and know this already?

September 13, 2013 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  4. Ken DC

How does "drink more water" suddenly turn into "she's talking about drinking water rather than sugary drinks"?

Not everyone is a mind reader, perhaps she should say what she means rather than saying something else and expecting people to know what she "really" meant to say.....

September 13, 2013 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  5. dave

I guess when this usless movement is over she'll be telling us to breath more

September 13, 2013 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  6. Malory Archer

Brad

Typical. The powers that be will not rest until she is hawking malt liquor.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, except they're not in power, and if she DID hawk malt liquor they'd just to resort to their not so veiled racist comments.

September 13, 2013 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  7. billmosby

I thought bottled water was on the outs because of the environmental aspects of production and disposal/recycling of all those bottles....

September 13, 2013 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  8. Guido

I don't cares whatchu alls say I'm gonna continue my hydration program usin' Budweiser.... the King of Hydration! uuuurppp

September 13, 2013 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  9. Rushy

Everyone has to so nit picky about everything. Of course the idea behind this is LESS SODA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 13, 2013 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. Richard Long

But her school Food Program was such a success...

September 13, 2013 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  11. Richard Right

Leave her alone ,she made a little mistake. It's not worth talking about. Now her big push to change food in schools, and kids going hungry because they reject the healthier food, that is a big deal.

September 13, 2013 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  12. Jeff Brown in Jersey

Another chance to attack a smart and beautiful woman...

September 13, 2013 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  13. Bill D

Drinking more water can make you feel more "full" and lessen your hunger. I drink water all day long.

September 13, 2013 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  14. Matthew

Eva Longoria can't even help the troll of a first lady get 100 retweets and that says something......

September 13, 2013 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  15. Ace

Coca-Cola lobbyists have been put on alert.

September 13, 2013 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  16. RickN

Most people don't drink the amount of water that's recommended, about 8 glasses, 64 ounces/day. For myself, I found that drinking more water, I average 40-60 oz/day, has helped my digestive system and has COMPLETELY eliminated the frequent bouts of constipation I'd get that sometimes led to hemorrhoids. So for me, drinking more water did indeed make me healthier. Earlier in my life I drank very little. Doctors would tell me to take a stool softener for the constipation. Why didn't they tell me to try drinking more water first?

September 13, 2013 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  17. Malory Archer

Ken DC

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah, I blame faux noise light for that. If they had posted her entire statement in that video you would have understood. Don't hate the lady because cnn tries once again to create news instead of reporting it.

September 13, 2013 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. textee

Michelle "For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country" Obama is a low-information, America-hating, family hating, militant leftist/feminist.

September 13, 2013 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  19. Mallola

the First Lady is right on the mark – Two cups of water early in the morning keeps you regular, helps the body get rid of toxins and for a healthier you. God bless you, Mrs. Obama!

September 13, 2013 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  20. Big El 42

smh, "experts".... Dr. Stanley Goldfarb is a doctor of what exactly??

If you're over weight, u should really drink more water than anything else...Ever hear the expression those who cannot do, teach

September 13, 2013 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  21. HmmReally?

Two things. Living in Alaska I know that drinking the right amounts of water helps me stay warmer, less dry skin, and my weight down. Our bodies are made up of mostly the stuff ya know? When I'm dehydrated, I feel like crap and it definitely makes me feel unhealthy overall. 2. If she were ANY other presidents wife, they'd be praising her instead of wasting time nitpicking like a jealous twelve year old, trying to prove her wrong. When you look at most decent diet plans, one of the main things in the diet is the mentioning of drinking lots of (wait for it) dun dun dunnn! AGUA! Fact is, she is one of the most healthiest 1st ladies we've had in history and this criticism is just BS .

September 13, 2013 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  22. Mandor

On this specific point, I think she's right. The body needs to be hydrated anyway, and drinking more water will help you feel full and not have the urge to snack so much. I drink 64-80 oz of water a day, have for close to 3 years now, and it has done me good.

Granted, this was as part of an overall change in lifestyle, diet, exercise, etc. But it really does work. You just need to plan your Intake/Output. Don't drink 32 oz of water right before hopping into 3 hours of traffic.

September 13, 2013 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  23. kirk

Is there anything the right won't verbally assault with their undying hatred? What kind of pitiful existence do you have, and why not do some research and figure out who is trying to destroy your standard of living?

September 13, 2013 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  24. dikelmm1

Some people can't figure out that if you drink that much water you will naturally drink less of other drink. Duh. Bring politically savvy, she can't attack sodas or other drinks and their manufacturers directly.

September 13, 2013 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  25. sly

Hold on here – Republicans do not believe anything a scientist or nutrionist says.

If God doesn't tell us each day to drink water, we should never drink water.

September 13, 2013 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |