Navy Yard shooting: AR-15, back in the news - briefly
September 17th, 2013
7 months ago

Navy Yard shooting: AR-15, back in the news - briefly

(CNN) - It has been called the most popular rifle in America, and it briefly returned to the spotlight after Monday's shooting at the Navy Yard: the AR-15.

A U.S. law enforcement official said Monday that gunman Aaron Alexis unleashed a barrage of bullets using an AR-15, a rifle and a semi-automatic handgun. Authorities believed the AR-15 was used for most of the shooting, the official said. The news prompted Sen. Dianne Feinstein, one of the strongest proponents of a ban on assault weapons like the AR-15, to issue a statement the same day asking, "When will enough be enough?"

FULL STORY

Filed under: Gun control • Gun rights • Navy
  1. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama: "Last but not least the combination of fright and arthritis. That's a hard one to beat!"

Well... If any intruder saw a little old lady with a loaded gun in her hand (OK both hands ... I've got to be able to keep it steady) he has two choices: come running at me while I try to pull the trigger with two fingers (in which case I will likely shoot the ceiling) or simply turn around and run out for fear I might in my distress actually aim and shoot at him.

Mind you, this only plays out IF: the intruder gives me the time necessary to run to the gun safe ... open the gun safe ... load the gun ... and turn around and aim the gun ... hopefully at the intruder and not myself.

September 17, 2013 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. Mel

Nice how CNN perpetuated the inaccurate reporting through the first part of the story before they revealed that a shotgun was used rather than an AR-15. I see CNN's angle. These mass shootings don't happen everyday so they have to maximize every bit of misinformation they can to support their anti-gun narrative. The fact that the suspected shooter was an African-American is problematic for their story line as Liberals would have much preferred to have a white male who was a card carrying Tea Party member as the culprit.

September 17, 2013 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

Silence DoGood

I wonder if gun owners, as per the 2nd amendment, would be happy as a part of the well regulated Militia? As an example G.Washington ordered, in the late 1700's that militia be called up to help fight other citizens on US soil. These citizens in question were tax evaders protesting what they felt was government abuse.
    ---------------------
    How is that possible? Federal income tax collection didn't begin until the early 20th Century, in 1913. Washington ordered the Congress to create legislation that would legalize the creation of a "well regulated militia" for the nation's defense.

September 17, 2013 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

from the article:

"When you allow a military base to be infiltrated by an individual like this... at that point he has free rein," Ferguson said.

Had the contractor and civilians working in the Navy Yard been armed, they could have gunned down the gunman and stopped the shooting quickly.
    ---------------------
    That's nonsense. Someone's been watching too many cowboy movies. Had the people been armed, there would have been only one result, a circular friendly firing squad. No one except the first few people to pull out a gun and start firing would have known who the actual shooter or how many there were. Everyone firing a gun would have shot any else firing a gun that wasn't standing close to them.

I think the NRA should conduct a study to prove their theory about "stopping a bad guy with a good is with a good guy with a gun.

September 17, 2013 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  5. Anthony in California

Bullet proof jackets might be the industry to invest in for as long as these Republicans are around to enable the NRA.

September 17, 2013 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  6. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda
    Your post of your life in the Dominican Republic has had a profound effect on me. How on earth did you survive such carnage and still continue to see good in your fellow human beings?
    -------------------------------------------------
    It wasn't "my life in the Dominican Republic" my friend, it was just a period, a short period, of my life there.
    I was betwen 6-7 years old at the time and I vividly remember having every room in our house occupied by neighbors. They lived, ate and slept with us for many, many months. I became quite familiar with things that the average 7 year old in the states wouldn't know the first thing about: cease-fires that allowed folks to go out and purchase food and procure other necessities; walking flat along the walls of buildings during said cease-fires and the random shots fired sometimes too close to us from those that apparently had not gotten the "cease-fire" memo; my father being made to sing the Dominican national anthem when caught outside in violation of the curfew (that s hit was funny, still is!); seeing a childhood friend killed when he was caught in a crossfire; purchasing necessities from the "Black Market" ;being sent to my aunt's house in the country for the duration; my house looking like swiss cheese after it was all over with.

.I have a very vivid first memory of what an American was and that was in the shape of Marines doing their morning run around my neighborhood. They were big, disciplined men, singing one of those Marine running songs, know which ones I mean?! They represented the end to the shootings. The restoration of law and order to me.
    I loved them.
    I love them still.

September 17, 2013 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  7. David

@M.A.P.
    I guarantree more people have been killed than protected by guns. Its common sense. Guns are designed to KILL, not protect. Protection is more bullet proof jackety. No civilian needs an automatic or semi automatic rifle. No one. Look around at some of the worlds other sdeveloped countries with VERY LOW gun crime. Are they constantly being murdered because they don't have guns? NO! More people die in the US from gun crim e than anywhere in the world!
    ***************************************************************************************************************************
    Six million Jews who were murdered by the Nazis in the 1940's might have a different opinion than you. History may have been different if they had the means to defend themselves. And don't tell me the Holocaust can't happen again. It is occurring on a smaller scale throughout the world...Rawanda, Sudan, Syria...

September 17, 2013 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  8. Steve, New York City

No one is saying that law-abiding citizens should not be permitted to own firearms.
    The problem is that the criminally insane have easy access to these weapons . . .and a CANCER known as the NRA is using its millions to stifle ANY debate on this issue, as they encourage imbeciles to equate ANY discussion about keeping guns out of the hands of people who should not have them as somehow attacking the 2nd amendment.

September 17, 2013 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  9. Dave

The FBI has confirmed that no AR-15 was used during the Navy yard shooting.

September 17, 2013 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |