Navy Yard shooting: AR-15, back in the news - briefly
September 17th, 2013
10 months ago

Navy Yard shooting: AR-15, back in the news - briefly

(CNN) - It has been called the most popular rifle in America, and it briefly returned to the spotlight after Monday's shooting at the Navy Yard: the AR-15.

A U.S. law enforcement official said Monday that gunman Aaron Alexis unleashed a barrage of bullets using an AR-15, a rifle and a semi-automatic handgun. Authorities believed the AR-15 was used for most of the shooting, the official said. The news prompted Sen. Dianne Feinstein, one of the strongest proponents of a ban on assault weapons like the AR-15, to issue a statement the same day asking, "When will enough be enough?"

FULL STORY

Filed under: Gun control • Gun rights • Navy
  1. bassman

Lynda/Minnesota, the "talking Points" you refer to is the Second Amendment. The Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms from infringement. Our Constitution is more than just "talking Points".

September 17, 2013 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  2. Lynda/Minnesota

"I used to think responsible gun owners existed however lately I'm beginning to change."

There has only been one person whom I ever fully trusted with a gun ... my father. He is long gone now, but he taught me to respect the gun for what it is: a mechanism to kill. My husband comes in second place in gun safety. Beyond these two individuals, I trust no one with a gun, including my own brothers.

September 17, 2013 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  3. rs

More people die from this every year than due to assault weapons.
    __________________________________
    So long as accidental death is a greater number than gun-murder (now at 8,241 since Dec. 15, 2012) we should just be "cool" with people being killed by guns?
    Your logic fails me somehow.

September 17, 2013 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  4. Wake up People!

@DD.
    Are you serious?? Because I was simply being facetious...... OMG, what is society coming to???

September 17, 2013 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  5. rs

"Yep unfortunately as sad as it sounds, it may take a shooting at one of these senators children schools to become reality for these blind and deaf senators."
    _____________________________
    I wouldn't wish for that. I just vote against them at every opportuinity-and I write and tell them that.. If more like-minded people did, the problem would be solved.

September 17, 2013 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  6. rs

bassman

_____________________________
    It provids the "right" to bear arms- flint lock long rifles to protect our nation. You'll find no mention of an AR-15, or cop-killer ammo.

September 17, 2013 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  7. Malory Archer

bassman, define "well regulated militia".

September 17, 2013 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  8. smith

Here we go, when will liberals learn this a no-win issue. Everytime this happends its the same old cycle of liberals cryin` more ammo and gun sales and more profits for gun manufactures.

September 17, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  9. tom l

@rs
    You live in a bubble. You can only talk about how many people were killed by guns. You don't ever talk about how many lives were saved due to guns.
    You want to get rid of all assault guns as if that's really going to happen through law. You can write all of the restrictive gun measures you want but people will still obtain these guns (and due to your restrictions the only people that will have these are the bad guys). Banning will not work. The toothpaste is out of the tube.
    Ask yourself this question: aren't drugs banned in this country? How is that working out? Do people still get drugs? The answer is yes and you know it. You are not thinking logically; you are thinking with your heart.

September 17, 2013 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  10. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Has anyone heard any Republicans say anything, yet? Or are they waiting for the NRA's official policy email to circulate among the ranks before any of them speak out.
    -------------------------------------------------
    They and their parroting minions on this thread are waiting for "The Memo" from their NRA benefactors instructing them as to how to react, respond and post in regards to yet another gun tragedy.
    Too close to the truth for you to post CNN?

September 17, 2013 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  11. The Real Tom Paine

-Rich

"If the rifle hadn't been there, less people would have died"

And you accuse the right of being naïve. What if the security guards had to defend against a terrorist attack by folks armed with assault weapons? Do they fight them off with clubs? There is no way you can guarantee that NOBODY will have access to these weapons, so the argument you make is ludicrous.

Maybe we should also prohibit anyone from owning a car due to all of the deaths from car accidents, or prohibit the use of alcohol since about half of car accident deaths are a result of alcohol. More people die from this every year than due to assault weapons.
    **************
    So, because the NRA points out that there is no 100% foolproof way to make us safe from gun violence, we should not take any steps to make ourselves "safer" other than buying more guns? That's like saying a alcoholic cannot guarantee that he/she cannot stop drinking, so we should just keep buying them more booze. Face it, guns are an addiction in this country: we hoard them, we hold them up as symbols of freedom, we devote days of the year to honor them in some states-everything but admit to ourselves the consequences of flooding our society with weapons. The NRA is like a drunk in denial.

September 17, 2013 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  12. Gurgyl

Bs right, just ban all the Guns in USA and pass Total Gun-Ban Laws. Period.

September 17, 2013 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  13. Lynda/Minnesota

bassman
    -------------–

To give myself credit, I did suggest people not respond with talking points, and here you are - responding with 2nd Amendment talking points. As I stated previously ... I have listened. To you. To my husband. To my brothers. To our President. To the left wing. To the right wing. To the NRA.

No where does it state in our Constitution that my fellow citizens have the right to own high capacity killing machines to be used as a method of killing my neighbors, my friends, my co-workers, myself, my family, or any other "citizen" in the United States of America.

Do Not. I repeat ... Do Not continue with your talking points. As a gun owner myself, I am not interested. What I am interested in is gun safety. Of which the United States of America is in dire need of.

September 17, 2013 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  14. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

@ Fair
    Regardless of firing capacity, assault weapons don't belong in the hands of civilians unless used at a gun range. End of story. You already know my views on this topic so I'll leave it at that.

September 17, 2013 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  15. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

We just need to come to the realization that our laws are ass backwards and are intended solely for the purposes of making money or for some unAmerican political interest. Case in point: Marijuana vs. Alcohol. One is proven to be used for medicinal purposes and the other for recreation. We all know that the recreational drug is responsible for drunk drivers eviscerating entire families on the highway while the other is used a ploy to incarcerate minorities. Where is this countries priorities? They surely aren't with WE THE PEOPLE!

September 17, 2013 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  16. jefflz

Its the right under the Second amendment of any crazy person to have access to an automatic rifle and all the ammunition they want. Just ask the NRA and their bosses in the gun lobby.

September 17, 2013 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  17. rs

________________________
    Provide a number. Meanwhile when someone you care about gets killed by a gun. Maybe you'll get it.

September 17, 2013 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  18. rs

_________________________________
    Meanwhile- you need to remember just one thing: Guns have but one purpose. They aren't drugs, they aren't car accidents; They aren't like anything else in society- and they take lives, ruin lives, and cost us (all) billions of dollars every year.

Think about that before you accuse me or anyone else of not seeing things clearly.

September 17, 2013 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  19. Fair is Fair

Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

@ Fair
    --------
    Hey, listen, Dutch – you posted a completely false statement and I called you out on it. For someone who's supposedly achieved an "expert marksman" level on this weapon, you sure do know very little about it.

September 17, 2013 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  20. Rudy NYC

Malory Archer

bassman, define "well regulated militia".
    --------------------–
    I believe in the context of the U.S. Constitution it would mean "well trained and well behaved" today. The phrase was first used by Pres. George Washington in a State of Union address as he asked the Congress to pass legislation that would allov for the "creation of a well regulated militia" to defend the new nation. The result was the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Amendments.

Most of the 'national armies of Europe at that time were comprised of mercernaries and other hired guns. Most of them were the only ones allowed to own weapons. The general pubilc did not participate in the armies, only the hired guns. Most them were rogues, invading peoples homes for food and a place to sleep for the night as they traveled.

The American Revolution had been fought by bands of small militias that joined together to from larger militias. The Second Amendment continues that tradition of national defense by declaring that every citizen has a right to own a weapon to participate in a "well regulated militia" for the nation's defense. The right wing has twisted the original meaning and intent of the Second Amendment to no end. Their current interpretation of it serves gun manufacturers the most, and public safety the least.

September 17, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  21. robert

CNN said there was no AR 15 look at paragraph or in the original article

September 17, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  22. Bj

I think feinstein has every right to her opinion, as does any american, but once again she can be seen pushing her agenda, and politicizing a tragic event for her own gain.

What' s truly sad is that the FBI at first said that the AR15 was NOT the shooters weapon, but was in fact a "pick-up from a wounded/KIA soldier or guard. Some reports are now saying that an AR15 may not have been used at all.

So, clearly, rather than waiting for the authorities to do their job and provide all the facts possible, she is content creating her own reality/version of the truth. It makes me wonder what else she lies about as she does her job for our country

September 17, 2013 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  23. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda
    -------------------------------------------------
    Well said my friend. I too am for GUN SAFETY and cannot bring myself to respond to folks that are purposefully changing the argument into one of taking away their precious 2nd Ammendment rights which is NOT what this is all about.
    Proactive gun safety via background checks, waiting periods, and yes, not making assault rifles readily available to a populace that has not credible need for them.
    I have been avidly reading the posts on this subject, and learning as guns are NOT in my realm of life experiences in so far as owning one or using one to hunt or at the range ( I do neither).
    I have however, lived through a coup d'etat in my native country, centered in the city whre I was born Santo Domingo where civilians were given arms by the disputing factions. I have been a living witness to the incredible carnage that guns can wreak when in the hands of the inexperienced, the young, and those with motivations that are less than honorable.
    So it is with profound interest that I lsiten to the gun debate in this country because although not in the midst of a coup d'etat the result of guns in the wrong hands is exactly the same: death and carnage.

September 17, 2013 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  24. tom l

@rs
    ________________________

There are no numbers for a stat like that. However, when my brother and sister in law had their home broken in to while they were there and were able to protect themselves due to having a gun, I think I "get it" pretty well.

September 17, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  25. Bj

Reports are saying no AR15.

September 17, 2013 11:46 am at 11:46 am |