Navy Yard shooting: AR-15, back in the news - briefly
September 17th, 2013
1 year ago

Navy Yard shooting: AR-15, back in the news - briefly

(CNN) - It has been called the most popular rifle in America, and it briefly returned to the spotlight after Monday's shooting at the Navy Yard: the AR-15.

A U.S. law enforcement official said Monday that gunman Aaron Alexis unleashed a barrage of bullets using an AR-15, a rifle and a semi-automatic handgun. Authorities believed the AR-15 was used for most of the shooting, the official said. The news prompted Sen. Dianne Feinstein, one of the strongest proponents of a ban on assault weapons like the AR-15, to issue a statement the same day asking, "When will enough be enough?"

FULL STORY

Filed under: Gun control • Gun rights • Navy
  1. Rudy NYC

Ken F wrote:

Reports are that he used a shotgun on the security guard and then grabbed the guards rifle and pistol. At least that was what both CNN and MSNBC reported that the FBI was saying. This leads to the question – do you wish to disarm the military police security force of such weapons?
    --------------------------–
    Don't be ignorant. BTW, how come the good guys with the guns couldn't stop the bad guy with a gun?

September 17, 2013 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  2. tom l

@rs
    ________________________

September 17, 2013 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  3. sonny chapman

What a shame. A Nation paralyzed from being able to do anything that might slow down gun violence THE GUN, because of a small vocal opposition that is impervious to data or possible solutions.

September 17, 2013 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  4. Rudy NYC

"You live in a bubble. You can only talk about how many people were killed by guns. You don't ever talk about how many lives were saved due to guns."
    ---------------------
    You don't ever talk about how many lives are saved due to guns, either. Gee, it must be an insignificant total.

September 17, 2013 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  5. PaulCat

If you want this country to get better, try voting out all GOP in the next election. If its ok with your NRA people!

September 17, 2013 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  6. rs

__________________
    Common sense says people with mental issues shouldn't own assault rifles- and as a result of them having them, innocent people die in tragic events like we saw yesterday. I do not call for an all out ban (although I'd likely support one), I call for licensing, registration, and insurance. If gun owner's information can reside on NRA databases, they can reside with law enforcement as well.

September 17, 2013 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  7. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

"For someone who's supposedly achieved an "expert marksman" level on this weapon, you sure do know very little about "it."
    --------------------------------------------
    And inform the people then what the military version of the AR-15 is then.

September 17, 2013 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  8. Rudy NYC

"There are no numbers for a stat like that. However, when my brother and sister in law had their home broken in to while they were there and were able to protect themselves due to having a gun, I think I "get it" pretty well."
    ---------------------
    I find it fascinating that damn near every 2nd Amendment enthusiast can tell you about a first-hand experience like that.

September 17, 2013 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  9. Dominican mama 4 Obama

You don't ever talk about how many lives were saved due to guns.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Well don't let that stop YOU from talking about it.
    Go ahead, proceed......

September 17, 2013 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  10. Fair is Fair

"However, federal law enforcement sources told CNN Tuesday that authorities have recovered three weapons from the scene of the mass shooting, including one - a shotgun - that investigators believe Alexis brought in to the compound. The other two weapons, which sources say were handguns, may have been taken from guards at the Navy complex.
    The sources, who have detailed knowledge of the investigation, cautioned that initial information that an AR-15 was used in the shootings may have been incorrect."
    --------
    Sooooooooooo... no AR-15 involved at all. In fact, it looks like this clown took crazy Joe's advice of using a shotgun. Figures.

September 17, 2013 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  11. Silence DoGood

I wonder if gun owners, as per the 2nd amendment, would be happy as a part of the well regulated Militia? As an example G.Washington ordered, in the late 1700's that militia be called up to help fight other citizens on US soil. These citizens in question were tax evaders protesting what they felt was government abuse. Would you 2nd Amendment folks out there have refused a legal order from G.Washington to march on other US citizens, claiming they were fighting an oppressive government?

This what the militia did long ago. This a not a Rambo movie and it is not simple. It is history and we need to deal with some serious reality right now.

September 17, 2013 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  12. Dominican mama 4 Obama

-------------------------------------------------
    No it doesn't lead to that question.
    You're employing a false equivalent.
    The nutjob, who shouldn't have had a gun to begin with, shot the military police in order to get take the officer's weapon.

September 17, 2013 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  13. ST

I was listening to Morning Joe this morning , I couldn't understand why this big head called Joseph, still on the air. This guy is totally a nut. He was screaming that the President could had kept his mouth shut because of what happened at the Navy yesterday. Joe, ( sorry to call you an empty head), do you think what happened yesterday was the end of the the world, and each and everything could be kept at a halt???? You might be sitting at that desk and holding the title of the programme: "Morning Joe". But many times you have proved to be there for nothing and not a reasonable person to be there, just only to make your daily bread, for you and your family only and not for the rest of the entire nation.

September 17, 2013 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  14. Lynda/Minnesota

When my husband and I were first married ... oh so many, many years ago ... he was in the Army. We were stationed in Alaska (well, he was stationed ... not me). While both of us were at work, our apartment was broken into. The only thing missing was his privately owned .357 which was well hidden (or so we thought). As an Army soldier, he was required to register all privately owned guns. We have never been contacted in re to that gun. To this day, we do not know who took that hand gun of his. It has always bothered both of us not knowing if that gun was ever used for criminal purposes. Since that day ALL of our guns have been locked in a gun safe. I can't even suggest to you that we own guns for our own private security, locked up as our guns are. My arthritis is such that I can no longer hold let alone fire a weapon of any sort, even if I wanted to, which I no longer feel the need to. My skeet and trap days are long over. My husband does still hunt. It is not MY safety I am concerned about. It is the safety of my grandchildren, their friends, and any other individual who enters my home as a welcomed guest. A loaded weapon in a home is dangerous. My husband and I learned this the hard way ... by allowing our weapon to be put in the hands of an unknown.

September 17, 2013 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  15. Rudy NYC

tom l wrote;

"Provide a number. Meanwhile when someone you care about gets killed by a gun. Maybe you'll get it."

"But I can guarantee you this...more people have been protected due to guns than the people who have killed with an illegal assault rifle. It's just common sense."

-------------------
    Your two responses are mutually contradictory. Both of them cannot be true. Since I believe that no such statistics are readily available to support your claim, I officially declare your "guarantee" is something that you just made up because it sounded good. I know that the guarantees of a conservative to another conservative are supposed to be significant, but to the real world they're just words.

September 17, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  16. curious2

There are reasons for actions of violence like the lone gun shootings look back in the history of our society and acknowledge prayer as a source of power vote prayer back into schools......stop bashing the office of the presidents......respect authority.....and places like this where we can talk to one-another.....count our blessings.....start focusing on solutions and considering others......vote.....home making economics....soil prep and planting back into schools.....spiritual leaders.....teach these principles along with the barder system because we need these things in this stressful time in our country....and that wealth is in the mind of the beholder......respect people's constitutional rights .....and pray for everything......vote prayer back into schools......teach the principles of forgiveness.......and that everybody's issues need prayer.....and know that they are being head......

September 17, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  17. Lynda/Minnesota

"I have been a living witness to the incredible carnage that guns can wreak when in the hands of the inexperienced, the young, and those with motivations that are less than honorable."

WOW. Talk about well said, Dominican mama. It is "in the hands of the inexperienced, the young, and those with motivations that are less than honorable" that we Americans ought to be focusing our attention on. To be truthful, I am done with debating the issue. As with you, I too, read the comments. Most are from gun-ho wannabees. Those that are truly concerned for gun safety will never be heard or understood fully.

Sad, but the truth nonetheless.

September 17, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  18. curious2

Gun's should be kept private!

September 17, 2013 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  19. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

--------------------------------------------
    How many people you know go hunting with a sawed off shotgun?

September 17, 2013 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  20. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda you've brought up so many valid points I don't know where to start!
    "Since that day ALL of our guns have been locked in a gun safe. I can't even suggest to you that we own guns for our own private security, locked up as our guns are. My arthritis is such that I can no longer hold let alone fire a weapon of any sort, even if I wanted to"
    I would think that I would be trembling with fright at the shock of seeing an intruder enter my home. Secondly, how accessible would that gun box be to me? Wouldn't I normally keep it well out of sight for fear that someone else might find it?
    Last but not least the combination of fright and arthritis. That's a hard one to beat!
    Loving, absolutely, loving your posts today!!
    Keep them coming my friend!!

September 17, 2013 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  21. M.A.P.

I guarantree more people have been killed than protected by guns. Its common sense. Guns are designed to KILL, not protect. Protection is more bullet proof jackety. No civilian needs an automatic or semi automatic rifle. No one. Look around at some of the worlds other sdeveloped countries with VERY LOW gun crime. Are they constantly being murdered because they don't have guns? NO! More people die in the US from gun crim e than anywhere in the world!

September 17, 2013 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  22. Lynda/Minnesota

Dominican mama: "Keep them coming my friend!!"

I don't know that I can. Your post of your life in the Dominican Republic has had a profound effect on me. How on earth did you survive such carnage and still continue to see good in your fellow human beings?

As to your newest comment. I would have been petrified had that intruder of ours entered while my husband was away on one of his month long "guard the pipeline from Russians" training missions. The fool had paint on the bottom of his shoes and left a trail of where he'd been in our apartment, including rummaging through our pantry and, yes, our fridge.

Guess he was looking for a stash of what an Army Sergeant never had back in the late 1970s: money.

September 17, 2013 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  23. M.A.P.

Yes, you have the right to bear arms, a pistol, a shotgun, NOT a AK or AR!!!!!! They didn't exist when the constitution was written. Jesus people are thick. Do you think every American citizen should be handed a rocket launcher, 10 grenades, a bazooka, a fighter jet, a tank and a tank of anthrax? Is that your god goven right?

September 17, 2013 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  24. Thomas

Dose America have a mental health problem ?

Look at this guys priors , he should never have been allowed to own a firearm .

System failure .

September 17, 2013 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  25. Rudy NYC

DM4O observed:

... I always wondered about the strength of the "for protection" argument emanating from the gun enthusiasts.
    Having lived in the South Bronx I have not been immune to home break-ins. They have fortunately occured while no one was home BUT in the event someone had been at home, how much time would one have to get to the gun box, unlock it via a combination, hide, aim and shoot? .... ....
    ------------------–
    Exactly. The "gun hoes" have no answer for that. If they could, then that would mean that they are irresponsible gun owners who do not lock them up when the weapons are not in use.

September 17, 2013 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |