House bill would take 3.8 million off food stamps
September 19th, 2013
1 year ago

House bill would take 3.8 million off food stamps

Washington (CNNMoney) - House Republicans on Thursday will take up a controversial bill cutting 3.8 million people from food stamp rolls next year by making it tougher for some families to qualify.

The bill would cut $40 billion from food stamps over the next decade, which would force about 14 million people from the program by 2023, according to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

FULL STORY

Filed under: House Republicans
  1. Gurgyl

Are these pathetic animals cutting expenses on unnecessary WARS? Trillions poured on WARS, 25 billion yearly on Pakistan knowing Bin Laden in there. Now they cry on food stamps nonetheless lot of money in CAYMAN ISLANDS for TAX-EVASION. Catch Koch brothers, Sheldon Adulson, Genn Beck, Rush Limbaugh etc. not food coupon guys– it is a sin to receive food coupon–but only desperate does it.

September 19, 2013 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  2. Malory Archer

B

a coworker of mine is struggling and can barley get buy supporting his family of 4 on 42k salary. he has no car and lives in a renter 2 bed room apartment. he was telling me the other day he is thinking of quitting and going back on welfare and food stamps. He said he never struggled then because he could collect and work under the table. Now that he's working he is miserable and poor and can't afford basic things like food or transportation. Its sad when its easier and more profitable to not work and live of the government. what happened to America?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's easy: We've stood idly by for the last 32 years as conglomo, inc. took our jobs to faraway lands where serfs work for two dollars a day and have no safety protections or benefits so they can continue to fatten their own bank accounts. I agree, it IS a sad statement on society when it's more cost-effective to stay at home and collect benefits than to try to get to work everyday for pay that doesn't even cover the bills, but it's only the government's fault in that they've bent over backwards to kiss the backsides of those conglomo CEOs who have off-shored the majority of jobs and pays wages insufficient to cover the most basic expenses.

September 19, 2013 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  3. smith

I understand some folks need help but some are sucking on the goverment teet. Time for some these of folks to get a job like the rest of us and be responsible. I see job openings everyday but have to try not just sit on couch and cry woes is me.

September 19, 2013 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  4. rs

2. anyone who wants government assistance needs to have a drug test-why should tax payers pay any
    assistance to anyone who has the money for drugs.
    ___________________________________
    Yeah! Be like Florida- Spend a $1.5 million on drug testing to save $100,000 in welfare fraud- if you could testing positive for drugs "welfare fraud".
    Face it-the Right hates the poor. To bad they won't do anything for them, like pass a jobs bill, or support livable wage laws.

September 19, 2013 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  5. Tampa Tim

Our unconvicted governor of FL scammed Medicare out of billions, and now, like most republicans wages war on the poor.

September 19, 2013 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  6. Malory Archer

bill pike

anytime the government gives out some program–it is almost impossible to cut it back-look at Detroit.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Or the Federal Flood Insurance program, but according a great many recipients of that largess, expecting American homeowners to underwrite the costs of rebuilding homes in flood zones after they've been washed away several times is pure evil!

September 19, 2013 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

Ah, yes. Food stamps. A program I am 100% in favor of. I'd rather not have ANY child go hungry in the United States of America. Not in MY lifetime anyway.

September 19, 2013 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  8. Democrat Party = Organized Crime = Democrat Party

People had better start learning to fend for themselves and stop relying on the government. This whole financial house of cards built on borrowed money from future generations WILL collapse. It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. I'm sure the people of Greece thought it would go on forever. There were rudely awakened by reality.

So do you all want to get weened off the government teet slowly, gradually, or just have it all explode at once?

September 19, 2013 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  9. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

jinx9to88
    No lie Food stamps has alot of fraud, but dont tell me we cant afford it but we can afford a bloated military budget. The bottom line is the GOP and DEMS have different ways of spending other people money, GOP on war and Dems on helping people here in the US.
    -------------------------------------------
    Well said!

September 19, 2013 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  10. Sniffit

"Its sad when its easier and more profitable to not work and live of the government. what happened to America?"

What happened? The conservative economic and fiscal policies we enacted redistributed all the wealth, power and influence upwards to the rich and corporations, and now the wealthy and employers believe they can simply treat employees/labor like third-world indentured servants who only need to be paid just enough that they can only survive by taking on massive consumer debt.

September 19, 2013 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  11. Rogelio

The republican party have exposed their calling: To bring down America. Al Qaeda must be very proud of them.

September 19, 2013 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  12. Me

lolo

Go ahead GOP. Make the American people suffer and go hungry so that you can spend money on useless wars. It is so sad that these clowns only care about party status.
    ____________________
    Hilarious since your chosen one was the one wanting to start a war recently!! Get a clue!!! I guess you can’t fix stupid! Going to lose out on your food stamps, get a job like the rest of us!!!

September 19, 2013 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  13. Donna

Malory Archer
    Donna
    You want to witness the insanity first hand, go stand in just about any major grocery store and watch the checkout lines. The people leaving with massive loads of food are likely on food stamps. Just watch how they pay. I've gotten behind several of these people in line. The food they are buying at my expense is better than what I can afford to buy.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I visit the supermarket on a regular basis, and when I'm in the checkout line, I'm a little busy dealing with my own purchases to stalk the people in front of me. Not everyone who buys better food than you is on food stamps, so quit your jealous bellyaching and get a better job so you can afford to buy "better food".
    ---

I deal with my purchases just fine as I have plenty of time waiting for their two carriages full of food stamp groceries to be checked out. And I could afford better food if I didn't have thousands sucked out of my pay check to pay for the person in front of me. They eat high off the hog while MY family watches our pennies, tries to save. Real fair.

And spare me all the starving kid stories. If you're on welfare and food stamps, get a government paid IUD to stop having more kids *I* will have to feed. Government has created incentives for not only fraud, but personal irresponsibility. The more irresponsible you are, the more government asisstance comes your way. Again, at my expense and ultimately at the expense of my children.

September 19, 2013 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  14. Sniffit

"You want to witness the insanity first hand, go stand in just about any major grocery store and watch the checkout lines. "

Anecdotes do not equate to data.

September 19, 2013 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  15. Me

rs

just saying

masisve, massive fraud going on in the food stamp program. people using multiple addresses in different states to make a living off of food stamp fraud. when they went to electronic cards, the fraud exploded. pelosi was stupid enough to call this program economic stimulus. she is insane.
    ___________________________
    You are such a great spokesperson for Right-wing causes. Do you ever wonder why virtually no one agrees with you?
    ___________________________________
    Only you and the usuals on here don't agree, when CNN actually allows comments for more then 2 minutes and puts these stories on the front page, the VAST MAJORITY agree with Fair!!!! The only time the majority don't is when CNN only allows 10 comments and that is the usual jobless commenters on here that comment 24 hours a day!

September 19, 2013 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  16. Sniffit

This is just more BS policy shenanigans based on the GOP/Teatrolls' fundamental, core belief that wealth indicates virtue and lack of wealth equates to lack of virtue. It's essentially circular logic...a tautology:

"The poor don't deserve our assistance."

"Why not?"

"Because they're lazy, feckless and corrupted."

"Really? How do you know that?"

"Because they're poor."

September 19, 2013 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  17. luke,az

Vote Republicans out of office !!!

September 19, 2013 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  18. Rudy NYC

Donna wrote:

---------------–
    You'd better be careful that you don't cause people to take notice and reach the wrong conclusion with you. Pray that someone doesn't take your sneering leer of hatred as a threat and decides to do something about it.

September 19, 2013 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  19. Me

Malory Archer
    Donna
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ______________________________
    Wow how ironic, you are telling someone with a job to get a better job but complianing that food stamps are going to be cut to people with no job. Why don't you tell the jobless people on foodstamps to get a JOB???????????????

September 19, 2013 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  20. Say it aint so

@Dutch/Bad Newz, VA -aka- Take Back The House -aka- No Redemption Votes

The party of "so-called" Christian Conservatives goes against Jesus' teachings.

Matthew 25:40
    "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."
    ********************************************************

That is it in a nutshell. Too bad that as a supposedly Christian nation, this is not so. I have great hope for Pope Francis re-educating us on service to the poor.

September 19, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  21. Me

Sniffit

_______________________
    LMFAO, liberal policies have been in place for 5 years now, how is that working out? Over 7% unemployment, record welfare, I could go on and on but what is the use, can't fix stupid. Time to start taking responsibility Bush has been gone for years now, but I am sure you will still blame it on him somehow.....

September 19, 2013 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  22. Tampa Tim

Bush left us with two unfunded wars, an unfunded drug program, and tax cuts for the wealthy that our grandchildren will pay for. The republican crap did not end the day Obama was elected. Bush will be a bad example for generations to come.

September 19, 2013 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |