September 19th, 2013
1 year ago

Michele Bachmann: Obama ‘used to being George III’

Washington (CNN) – Tea party firebrand Rep. Michele Bachmann was unabashed in her criticism of Obamacare and the president it’s named for Thursday night, comparing President Barack Obama with a British tyrant.

“He’s used to being George III,” the Minnesota Republican said of what she described as the president’s refusal to negotiate with Congressional Republicans over the continuing resolution to fund the government.

George III was king of England during the American Revolution.

Bachmann was debating the topics of Obamacare and the Republican plan to defund it on CNN’s “Crossfire” with Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York.

In a heated exchange, the two displayed some of the fierce contention consuming Congress over the looming federal shutdown threat.

Bachmann continually argued that neither she nor Republicans have any interest in shutting down the government, only in defunding Obamacare by tying it in with a continuing resolution to fund the government. Variations of that plan have been pursued by Congresses of the past in attempts to kill a variety of pieces of legislation, Bachmann said.

Shutting down the federal government is “the last thing we’re going to do,” Bachmann said, pointing out that Obamacare has become an increasingly unpopular law that she and other Republicans consider to be socialized medicine.

Rangel countered that the defund plan is a nonstarter, doomed to fail in the Democrat-controlled Senate. “It’s ridiculous and they know that it can’t be done,” he said.

Republicans want to “kill everything the president stands for,” Rangel said. “That’s not negotiation. That’s putting a gun to the president’s head.”

Rangel argued that Obama in fact got reelected on the issue of Obamacare.

To that Bachmann countered: “And so did I.”

Filed under: Charlie Rangel • Michele Bachmann
  1. kirk

Saying, the fact that you think Obama's agenda is to destroy America would explain why you view his policies as failures, and your inherent frustration that things are much better than when the last gop held the whitehouse. Things got better despite complete obstruction by gop. Poor guy, guess you will just have to see how this thing goes, again with complete obstruction

September 20, 2013 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  2. kirk

Despite endless funding and complete cooperation, your still not getting everything you want, welcome to the real world. You may be completely right on it sinking under its own weight, but the insurance companies trying everything they can to fight, obstruct, and destroy should tell you al:l you need to know,its an industry rife with corruption and astronomical salaries, and its the beneficiaries that don't want the gravy train to stop

September 20, 2013 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  3. Dominican mama 4 Obama

Lynda Minnesota:
    I'm surprised that CNN didn't mention her latest rant. She is absolutely sure that if the GOP calls out to the Lord loud enough, He will stop a Hillary Clinton presidency
    -------------------------------------------------
    BTW I've tried to respond to you on several occasions but I'm being "moderated" into oblivion.....But I'm with you my friend rest assured.

September 20, 2013 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  4. kirk

But Much like the economy, will likely only get better, I know you would like too see most live a hopeless and miserable life, perhaps you should ask yourself why

September 20, 2013 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  5. Bessy

Bachmann, just like Palin, has to crawl out of the woodwork every so often. They just can't help it. They think what they have to say is relevant. Duh !! Nope, missed again Michele. Not interested in what you think, or have to say.

September 20, 2013 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  6. Getoverit

I'm surprised anyone actually heard her say this with Van Jones and Charlie Rangel stepping all over her through the entire segment.

September 20, 2013 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  7. rs

George III was crazy. The only crazy commenting here is Bachmann.

September 20, 2013 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  8. Wake up People!

They're working OT Dominican Mama. The same thing that's happening to you happens to me too. I'm trying to choose my words very carefully.

September 20, 2013 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  9. rs

As a famous Senator used to say, A billion here, a Billion there, pretty soon we're talking real money. So what's your answer to the 17 Trillion Dollar Federal debt, and growing a Trillion a year. Um, sorry.
    ________________________________
    Stop giving the rich a free ride- maybe re-deploy the upper tax rates from the Eisenhower years (87-90%)? How about ending the GOP's corporate socialism? $40-50 billion a year to oil companies (and others)? If you haven't noticed- everything the GOP does costs the taxpayer. They claim they are fiscal conservatives, but like everything else they claim- that's a lie too.

The GOP has nothing, the GOP MEANS Nothing. Just anti-American creeps out to destroy our nation.

September 20, 2013 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  10. Lynda/Minnesota

"As beautiful as I know Minnesota to be I do not envy your being from her neck of the woods because it means that you have a front row seat to her every lunatic utterance!"

Oh, I have a story I could tell (if the moderators allow). During a local fundraiser dinner this past spring (I forget the cause... not politically related though), my daughter ended up sitting at a table next to Bachmann's table. My daughter has some rather fun video of her friends tying to hold her down. It is shown in the video that every time she heard Bachmann's screech, my daughter would down another (for the team - if I might quote Data). The video was hilarious. At one point, those seated with my daughter suggested she move to a chair not facing Bachmann. I can't repeat all that was said. Was Bachmann aware? Who knows and who cares. No doubt she thought she was being admired.

September 20, 2013 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  11. rs

tom l

Look! It's not one, but TWO ethically challenged people. Of course the liberals will go nuts about Bachmann while ignoring the fact that only one of those two has actually been found guilty of ethics violations. Oh, and that one would be Mr. Rangel.
    ________________________________
    Empty, silly observation Tom, anyone with an ounce of observation might note that politicians, by their very nature are not our best moral standard bearers. Only fools believe politicians are any different that the publics they represent. Mr. Rangel will be summarily dealt with, as was say your Mr. Renzi (Cong. Dist. 1, AZ.), and countless other political opportunists from the past. I feel the need to point out though that once again you miss the point. Sure it would be nice if Bachmann self-snuffed through illegal activity, and the world was rid of this vacuous, self-serving fool. You just gloss over her more obvious failings- as if the lack of a conviction leaves her as a real-live capable elected official working for her constituents, which she clearly isn't. Here's a hint, Tom. Bachmann is in no way "Exceptional"- unless you count her insanity, nearly complete lack of knowledge and her unstable nature. Remeber- the GOP in their "wisdom" have her on the Intelligence Committee(!). She simply does not help a struggling political party appear at all credible.
    Oh, and BTW- no anger here (as you seem to feel put upon, and I want your mind at rest)- just an observation of a comment that probably needed a wee bit more oomph behind it that what you put forward.. Have a great day!

September 20, 2013 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  12. ge

when ever i see her i think of my door-bell –ding-dong -ding-dong -ding-dong

September 20, 2013 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  13. Wake up People!

Oh Lynda, your poor daughter. But sitting next to Bat crazy Michelle would have made me put them away too!! I can't imagine hearing that shrieking up close. I bet she thought she was being admired. ROFLMAO!!

September 20, 2013 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  14. Scott

She sure knows how to spin up all you Radical ULtra Liberals. LOL

September 20, 2013 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  15. Mr. Moderate

If the right insists on governing based on public opinion polling (and numbers show that the opposition of the ACA iis roughly split between those who want to get rid of it and those who want single payer), when will they be sponsoring legislation on universal background checks?

September 20, 2013 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  16. tom l

@rs
    I am a libertarian. I'm not a repub. I believe that you missed my point though. I was merely pointing out the hilarity that your side just glosses over the fact that Rangel was actually guilty while Bachmann has not. Yet all the posts talk about her ethics issues. I am no fan of hers. She's not someone I would want as a politician and embodies why I dislike both parties.

I will definitely say that I appreciate your response and lack of silly jabs. Some day you might realize what a fraud BOTH parties are and stop backing the dems so strongly. You should look at someone like Ron Paul. He is a man of integrity and served admirably as a congressman.

September 20, 2013 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  17. rs

Scott

She sure knows how to spin up all you Radical ULtra Liberals. LOL
    ____________________________
    And she sure rings the dinner bell for the radical Righties!

September 20, 2013 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  18. just me

This RWNJ is on her way to the slammer. Does anyone really care what she thinks about Obamacare?

September 20, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  19. Bill

Michelle Bachmann needs psychiatric counseling.

September 20, 2013 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  20. Jay

Bachmann = another wind bag. Talkiing loud, saying nothing!!!!

September 20, 2013 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  21. Wake up People!

Ron Paul and Rand Paul are nothing but racists. Libertarian my rear end. Curley top even said if he were around during the Civil Rights movement he would have been against it. That's ALL I need to know about him. A guy riding his father's coattails. Whom is also against people like myself having basic civil rights.

The Pauls nothing but jokes.

September 20, 2013 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  22. Zippy

Is there ny way we can get a vote on whether we can defund the health insurance that congress gets. Maybe they change thier minds when they don't get any more socialized medical care.

September 20, 2013 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  23. The Other Bob

And that's the reason people's health should NOT be at the mercy of corporations whose main concern is the almighty dollar.

September 20, 2013 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  24. Homer

Isn't she just an act like Rush? Not the band.

September 21, 2013 05:15 am at 5:15 am |
  25. Name

Do the Republicans have an alternative to Obamacare or is it back to square one?

September 21, 2013 10:11 am at 10:11 am |